Recommendations: Rocky Mountain National Park

Jaker_cc

WKR
I'm taking my gf and another family up to RMNP in early July and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on some must see or do things there in the park. We are renting a house in Grand Lake, the folks we are going with aren't the camping type. I know my gf and I are going to hike up somewhere and camp for a night but don't know where yet.

Any and all info will be appreciated, I've never been to the Park even after spending lots of time in Colorado. I'm sure there will be tons of people, so I'll just have to suck it up this trip.

Thanks,

Jake

If you can't find a backcountry site inside the park check out the hike to Parika lake. It starts inside the park just up from Grand Lake but then diverts into the Never Summer wilderness. Its a beautiful hike and we had the lake to ourselves. It's about 5 miles and I believe gains about 3K feet but its pretty awesome. We got to watch some mule deer in the morning and saw some big bear tracks around the lake the next morning.

We weren't able to get a back country spot in the park but I doubt they would have been more secluded or beautiful.

wesfromky

WKR
The west side of the park seemed less crowded to me the few times I have been there. I did a couple days in the Wild Basin area, including a trip up mt copeland. Also did Longs via the keyhole route that trip.

If you are a fly fisher, there's tons of terrific fly fishing in RMNP.

A (long) hike up the Chasm Lake trail to view Long's Peak is strenuous but with amazing scenery.

Second the fly fishing, though my treks have been on the east side

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not sure if you can still do this in the Park but they used to have a dirt road off of the Estes Park entrance that went up to the top lookout lodge. It was a neat, one-way, one-lane, switchback road with some awesome vistas. Only was open in the summer but it’s a really fun, goat trail drive to the top. We did it with two wheel drive vehicles

vanish

WKR
Not sure if you can still do this in the Park but they used to have a dirt road off of the Estes Park entrance that went up to the top lookout lodge. It was a neat, one-way, one-lane, switchback road with some awesome vistas. Only was open in the summer but it’s a really fun, goat trail drive to the top. We did it with two wheel drive vehicles

Yup, its still there. Old Fall River Road. Only open for a short time each year due to needing perfect weather conditions.

This destination next to RMNP was mentioned earlier in the thread:

uc

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Leaving next Wednesday headed to Denver, will be on the west side of the park Thursday morning until Monday afternoon

dtrkyman

WKR
I did the drive up the dirt road a few years ago, went in the evening and had numerous deer and elk blocking the road on the way up, two young bulls were sniffing my side view mirror at one point...Ends up at the top where there were tons of elk and seemed like we were on mars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtholton

FNG
Just got back Sunday. We stayed at the Stanley hotel (which I'd skip in the future). We hiked each day for a few days. My tips are head out early (by 6am) on your hikes to avoid crowds and to ensure parking. Most people don't go into the park until 9 or 10. It was like a different park early in the morn (like most national parks). Mount Ida was our favorite hike (around 9 miles round trip). Within the first couple hundred yards we almost walked into a herd of Elk feeding (could have touched them). Saw lots of wildlife.

Drive from Grand Lake over to Estes Park via Trail Ridge Road. That's a must do IMO.

Moraine Park is cool, usually elk in there during the summer, worth a drive by and closer inspection if warranted. Challenging meadow fishing for little pickle fish.

Loch Vale (the Loch) is a good day hike. It may look busy parking down by Bear Lake, and even heading up, but most people stop at the falls. The Loch has some nice fish in it, especially compared to everywhere else I've fished there. Bushy dry flies.

I've done two separate overnight trips to Lawn Lake, got engaged on Mummy Mountain. Lawn is kinda far for a day hike but I know fit people will summit Mummy or Hagues Peak in a day. There are legit wild elk up in there.

Oh, I believe you'll need bear canisters for the overnights in the backcountry. I'd go back to RMNP if it weren't for that requirement.

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Drive from Grand Lake over to Estes Park via Trail Ridge Road. That's a must do IMO.

Moraine Park is cool, usually elk in there during the summer, worth a drive by and closer inspection if warranted. Challenging meadow fishing for little pickle fish.

Loch Vale (the Loch) is a good day hike. It may look busy parking down by Bear Lake, and even heading up, but most people stop at the falls. The Loch has some nice fish in it, especially compared to everywhere else I've fished there. Bushy dry flies.

I've done two separate overnight trips to Lawn Lake, got engaged on Mummy Mountain. Lawn is kinda far for a day hike but I know fit people will summit Mummy or Hagues Peak in a day. There are legit wild elk up in there.

Oh, I believe you'll need bear canisters for the overnights in the backcountry. I'd go back to RMNP if it weren't for that requirement.

Thank you for the info, we opted out of getting a camping spot this time. Beating the crowds sounds great, also I know the girls would love to see some elk.