Kuiu vs Sitka opinions

It’s been discussed a lot. Just want to see what everyone thinks. Will be buying gear soon. Will be September in southern Colorado if that means anything. Want to know differences between durability, function, and overall function.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
Why choose one or the other? I'd take a look at all of the products from all of the clothing manufacturers and pick and choose the best pieces for your needs. I'm a huge fan of First Lite base layers and their puffy. Sitka pants are my favorite I've ever worn. My outer layers are made by a variety of manufactures, depending on the weather. I love my Kuiu gaiters, bino harness, and merino gloves.

There are no universal boxes to put each company in. Evaluate each piece on an individual basis because they both make great gear. One uses Toray fabrics, the other uses Gore and Primaloft materials.

My general opinions - Kuiu camo is kind of fugly (i still use it), Jason Hairston comes off pretty narcissistic, Sitka should swallow their pride and copy Kuiu's hip zips on pants already!

Just depends on the piece. Like others said there’s no blanket statement that can be made in my opinion. Don’t worry about having camo that doesn’t match, the elk and deer won’t notice.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Check out first lite, I've got some of it and I'll probably never buy a piece of kuiu or Sitka again.

OP
ddavis_1313
Check out first lite, I've got some of it and I'll probably never buy a piece of kuiu or Sitka again.

I’ve got their base layers and chama and pants. The pants aren’t near as durable as I’d like. The wool ones that is.

Anyone who says their choice is the best is an opinion you can ignore. Fanboys are label guys...hunters use what works. And in that regard you may wanna swing both ways.

32691696_10215950450615212_2823077880492195840_n.jpg
32789822_10215950453655288_4328020350697734144_n.jpg

Lots of variables there. I have and use a bit of both. More Sitka.

Kuiu -size up. They fit small and slim. Favorites are attack pants, tiburons, guide jacket and zip off merino bottoms.

Sitka - save up. Favorites are jettstream jacket, timberline pants light weight zip hoodie.

You can’t go wrong with either because once you reach a certain level of price, performance and durability, the biggest difference comes down to preference.

What part of southern Co?
In the area I hunt there are clingy burrs that get stuck on my Attack pants so I always wear the Alpine pants on that hunt since you can brush them off easily. Work well in warm weather.

I mix and match often. Some solids also look great with a camo piece or two.

The animals don’t care what you wear but some items really have great features like hip vents, knee pads, and DWR finishes.

Also if you hunt burn areas you can destroy your expensive camo quick if they are lighter colors.

Lightweight merino First Lite stuff is really good for that time of year.

Zbot

WKR
I mix and match according to what the piece does for me. Timberline pants and jetstream jacket is hard to beat. I have all the major brands in one way, shape, or form./\

I've used kuiu, Sitka and FL and found Sitka to be the most durable out of all of them. They're not as comfortable as FL but FL couldn't hold up. With kuiu I started to stink much sooner as well. The attack pants also started to fray and seems started to loosen after only 2 days of use. The KUIU gators are bombproof though.

Trial153

WKR
Sitka for me. I own or owned pretty much the entire line at one point or another. In fit and materials they been excellent. The durability been outstanding and there hasn’t been longevity issues at all. The very few times I needed CS they been fantastic and above expectations. Furthermore from a hunting and conservation standpoint they put their money where their mouth is. Looking at what they support I have no problem supporting them in turn .

I no longer own anything kuiu and don’t plan to. After several horrible CS experiences I have no use for them. They aren’t even a consideration at this point

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree with Ross. If you want the best possible fit and performance for you it would be really hard to buy into just one brand.

In my experience Kuiu is designed for more activity as it breathes well. Sitka is pretty close but retains more body heat when stationary. Depends on how you hunt.

mvmnts

WKR
I want to like Sitka but what they charge is absurd. I want to like First Lite but their love affair with merino has gone too far, not everything needs to be merino and their cuts are extremely boxy. I never really considered Kuiu, but I'm starting to eye some of their pieces for when I start adding more camo. The fit and price is right and it seems like they are making the layers that I need.