What state would you want to own a hunting ranch or lease in

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys so been saving up to buy a little working ranch to live on to move out of California home of the s*%t bird liberals. I have decided on moving to Wyoming or Midwest, eastern or southern state that has good whitetail populations and has a long season. Also I want to live in a state that I can get tags over the counter if I am a resident. I want to plant food plots. And I also want to run a trap line. What state would you want to own a ranch on and why. Anything helps, thanks

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on what you want to hunt. Wyoming would be an all around place with opportunities for mule deer, whitetail deer, pronghorn, elk, etc. If you like to mix in some bird hunting and not have elk then Kansas, South or North Dakota would be great places. The Missouri river is one of the better walleye fisheries as well so that would occupy your spring and summer. Trapline, I am not familiar with but I know guys run traps in Nebraska and South Dakota for sure but not so much an actual line and don't depend on it for anything more than gas money to go check them. Good luck with your quest and I am betting any place you move too besides maybe New York, would be better than California :rolleyes:

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Because I decided Colorado, Idaho and Montana were out of the picture due to residents having to draw tags in some areas. Idaho is out because of wolfs keeping animal numbers low

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Also because I'm starting to look around on the market and before I spend my life's savings I would like to be educated and have the facts straight before I spend everything I have worked towards. Don't want to make the wrong decision

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I want to plant food plots. And I also want to run a trap line. What state would you want to own a ranch on and why. Anything helps, thanks

I would move to the bush in AK and buy a small parcel of land surrounded by lots of land that I can hunt and run trap lines on. No need to own a lot of land, and you can get just about all of your tags over the counter when you establish residency. Which takes a full calendar year in case you're wondering.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Because I decided Colorado, Idaho and Montana were out of the picture due to residents having to draw tags in some areas. Idaho is out because of wolfs keeping animal numbers low

How do you feel about oppressive heat and humidity? Lol. We have long hunting seasons with liberal bag limits.

Zbot

WKR
Texas Hill Country...unlimited exotics to hunt year round and game animals during season. Thats my plan.

I can draw tags or go OTC in other states to get my backcountry fix :)

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
I love humidity compared to this dry hellhole called California. How many bucks and does can you kill a year? Is there a lot of hogs where you live?.