Join the BHA?

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Being that I work in the mining industry, I cannot support BHA as they seem to come out against all mining, even responsible mines in low risk areas (and I do believe there are many areas that should not be mined). They use the same playbook as other extreme environmental groups by cherry picking and misrepresenting data/facts, and other scare tactics. I think a lot of folks don't realize what their cars, computer, phones, roads, houses, etc. are made from.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t really trust bha I think they do some good work but I feel like they also do a lot that doesn’t align with most sportsman’s interest. They quiet waters initiative is one example. I’m on the fence so I don’t support the organization. I keep getting a sneaky feeling they will get a lot of support and then pull the rug from underneath most sportsman’s.

The good they do far out weighs the bad or questionable. We could always split hairs about what the org does that we disagree with but they will be petty grievences in contrast to everything they do that benefits sportsmen on the whole.
As far as the peterson thing goes, Did BHA support Petersons pisition on bears or just support Peterson. There is a big difference. Look far enough into anyone’s past and you will find something you disagree with.

I am considering joining the BHA, but their affiliation with the author David Petersen gives me pause. Could someone please help me understand how a person who worked with The Humane Society to to end our spring bear season in Colorado would be welcome in the BHA? This organization is supposed to promote habitat conservation and promote access in support of hunters and fisherman. So why support them when they support a person who helped take away from the hunters of Colorado?

The Good Hunter - The Sun Magazine

Colorado Particulars - Destinations - Bear Hunting Magazine

I really enjoyed reading "Heartsblood" . There is a section in the book that exposes many organizations mission statements and clearly points out that the Human Society is ANTI hunting. I was unaware that David was a part of the CO bear hunting ban and that he worked with the turd Humane Society. Thanks for bring the subject to light.

cg2737

WKR
I am sure I will never agree with "all" of what BHA does or will do. I am also certain that I will never agree with every individual member's opinions. However I am a member due to their stance on public lands. Honestly I had never really given public lands much thought until I started looking into hunting the West. I live in upstate NY, where there is State land but almost 0 public land. Most State land is open to the public, but it is highly restricted ie no camping, hunting, shooting, fishing etc. Some State lands you can do all of what is listed and others you can only do some. I was blown away by our US public lands when I finally got to experience them on an elk hunt.

I read the article Posted above in the SUN Magazine. I found that I agreed with Peterson on some of his opinions. I also found many of his opinions to be very divisive within the hunting community. He seems to have no respect for hunters that don't hunt exactly like he does (traditional, no bait, hounds, or atv). Peterson calls compound bow hunters "pseudo-Bowhunters". Peterson is also staunchly anti NRA, another group I am a member of and don't agree with all of it's decisions.

All that being said I will remain a member now and in the future. I think the best you can do is look at BHA's mission statement, past works, and future plans to decide if you can support them.

neverquit

WKR
Philos I have been in the Air Force for over 14 year, so I support veterans. I just find the name funny. There was a great AFN commercial in Japan telling people not to be a Blue Falcon, because people were leaving their buddies alone passed out drunk all the time outside the base.
it’s an old military term. Buddy f&$?er. As the military moved pc it turned to BF eventually blue falcon. It’s been a running joke amount vets since.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I will never support BHA. I have had many discussions with fellow hunters that feel the same as me. As a big time supporter of individual liberties and the constitution i cannot find myself to support them. A good start for BHA to gain some more support would be to fight laws such as the Wyoming wilderness law. I haven’t heard a peep about that and the state is blocking access without paying a guide fee to millions of acres of federal land. BHA should be outraged over these kinds of laws.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Philos I have been in the Air Force for over 14 year, so I support veterans. I just find the name funny. There was a great AFN commercial in Japan telling people not to be a Blue Falcon, because people were leaving their buddies alone passed out drunk all the time outside the base.

Good to hear. Thank you for your service!

WRO

WKR
I support multiple uses of our public land including logging, responsible grazing, and motorized uses.

Bha is aligned with loosely with many groups that fight predator hunting and multiple uses for our public land.

Lots of great members, but the bullshit with the leaderships positions parading "elitist hunters" and who they accept money from are not something I will be a part of or support.

Monuments are dangerous for sportsmen as more and more of them are becoming non hunting. In my neck of the woods, logging suppression has been hell on our game populations.

Not to mention there support of trout unlimited and other elitist groups that are royally screwing up or local fisheries..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
I like BHA but I am not a member. I like what they stand for on public lands. I don’t remember what podcast it was but on one Land talked about why they chose to go the political route and it basically came down to that there were organizations buying land and turning it over to different land managers but no one was really taking the fight to the political side of things. I also really like their Public Land Owners shirts and wear it any chance I get.

I do fear that as they get more and more support that they are moving away from their goal. I get the feeling that if BHA had it their way everything would become wilderness land and that unless you were willing to hike 15 miles you don’t deserve to kill an elk. I really hope that BHA will look at this and pick and choose their fights more wisely.

Overall, I like what they stand for but have not donate money, other than the Public Land Owner shirts, simply because I worry where they are headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Not a member here.
Havent really seen or read about any real actions, only mission statements, views on topics - basically 'kumbaya'

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I joined last year after Jason Chaffetz (and others) introduced a couple of bills that would have put millions of acres of federal lands in jeopardy. I saw that BHA was basically leading the charge on this fight and doing so very effectively. I decided that it would be a good use of my money as I recreate on public lands 12 months out of the year.

I don't know of an organization that I agree 100% with, but.....
. Hell I don’t agree with everything my wife says but I still support her.

:D

JWP58

WKR
The good they do far out weighs the bad or questionable. We could always split hairs about what the org does that we disagree with but they will be petty grievences in contrast to everything they do that benefits sportsmen on the whole.
As far as the peterson thing goes, Did BHA support Petersons pisition on bears or just support Peterson. There is a big difference. Look far enough into anyone’s past and you will find something you disagree with.

Not to be incendiary, but besides donating to political campaigns, what exactly do they do?

Apparently their new found love affair with the great Patagonia founder was made knowing his stance on lower 48 Grizzlies (not good for scientific based conservation/ management).

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider

It is indeed a humorous username. I thought it was also humorous to point out in this instance. Highly doubtful anyone that actually IS a BF would go around telling everyone.

I am a huge fan of BHA. What they do for public land hunting is critical to hunters future existence. Frankly having any affiliation with Patagonia and Chouinard just gives them credibility in my mind. As far as I am concerned he is a hero to the outdoor community and we all benefit from his actions and his companies influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I'm a BHA member and i will say I am not a fan of Land Tawney.. his politics are not on par with mine and some things like this for example really give me pause..: Dem group runs ads for Libertarian to attempt | The Daily Caller

Me thinks Montana Hunters and Anglers is a tad bit slanted
The link talks about donations from "Montana Hunters and Anglers", which, as I understand it, is an entirely different organization than BHA. Am I wrong? What am I missing?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
The link talks about donations from "Montana Hunters and Anglers", which, as I understand it, is an entirely different organization than BHA. Am I wrong? What am I missing?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I believe Twany is associated with both (at the top).

WRO

WKR
Did you read the list of lands that were too be possibly disposed of? I read through my home state's list, lots of 40-160 acre pieces that were completely land locked with no public access.

The vast majority of the land had no public value and as a counter point, in my opinion was and is bad for rural communities (land not on the tax rolls in cash strapped rural counties) and fire liability. I'd like to see a lot of it sold and the money put into a fund to purchase quality winter range and blocks of land people could actually use.

Not selling our national forests as all the chicken littles put it.
I joined last year after Jason Chaffetz (and others) introduced a couple of bills that would have put millions of acres of federal lands in jeopardy. I saw that BHA was basically leading the charge on this fight and doing so very effectively. I decided that it would be a good use of my money as I recreate on public lands 12 months out of the year.

I don't know of an organization that I agree 100% with, but.....

:D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk