Join the BHA?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aaaaand now would be a good time for a group hug.

Seriously-I'll write an email or even a hand written letter to BHA and Tawney requesting their stand on certain issues. If you will provide me some things you would like answered or clarified, I'll reach out for us a group and see what comes of it. Can't hurt and it might sway some of us one way or the other.

philos

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So let me guess, you did absolutely 0 research on the issue, saw a fear based campaign, and bought a t-shirt.

Congrats I guess on falling into the sheep syndrome that is plaguing our nation.

I' not advocating selling any of our publicly accessible lands (reasonably) , its the stuff that is not readily publicly accessible or usable that needs to be gone or traded.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats to you, I think your campaign in Utah will go just fine.

Just sell what you think needs to go, I’m sure no one will mind.

vanish

WKR
I've asked my CO BHA reps for a more comprehensive list of Colorado issues tackled. I am not a board member or anything, just a passionate sportsman. I have to go prep for some volunteering at the "Campfire Stories" event tonight. Should be a good time.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you and agree there is plenty of infighting.

The difference I see is that Peterson and Patagonia fight against these hunts from a moral standpoint which gives fuel to the anti's. They can say "See, Mr. Peterson is a well known hunter and even he says hunting bears over bait is wrong! It's only those redneck hunters who want to hunt over bait"

The fighting between gun/bow hunters is for opportunity.

I think our message should be unified vs anti hunters and I don't believe we need to apologize for any legal form of hunting, if we do it will be death by 1000 cuts.

Archers fight rifle seasons.

Heck, Muzzleloader hunters fight what constitutes a muzzleloader!

The list goes on. We don't all align perfectly on every issue, and that's ok!

Work together when it makes since, and don't when it doesn't.

If you want another example, Yvon Chounaird does not support Grizzly hunting, and I do. But that's not relevant to public land access. We will work together on public land, and against one another on grizzlies.

This is just a fact of life. There are not two life philosophies. There are billions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
What a wonderful dream. People in Patagonia with walking sticks, climbers with dread locks, fisherman in vests, hikers in short shorts and mid calf socks, hunters in camo and mt ops hats... all standing hand in hand having world changing intelligent conversation.

This is what worries me. The average non-hunting citizen I meet is either indifferent, or somewhat agreeable to the idea of hunting. Most hikers, bird watchers, or other frolicking wood folk I come across while scouting or hiking are not in favor of hunting happening where they recreate. We all want public land there for our use, but I can see the differences of groups that join in this fight bubbling to the surface at some point.

The difference I see is that Peterson and Patagonia fight against these hunts from a moral standpoint which gives fuel to the anti's. They can say "See, Mr. Peterson is a well known hunter and even he says hunting bears over bait is wrong! It's only those redneck hunters who want to hunt over bait"

I think our message should be unified vs anti hunters and I don't believe we need to apologize for any legal form of hunting, if we do it will be death by 1000 cuts.

^^^^This^^^^^

Matt, I did take it that way. If I was mistaken, then please accept my apology for being so.

Also, I want to point out the conspiracy theory comment came before my wise crack about choir boys.

I can be an idiot. Many times I do things for reaction. People will give you their intent when emotional. What I also do us give what I get. It’s fair.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, I did take it that way. If I was mistaken, then please accept my apology for being so.

No problem. I hope my links can help you get a better understanding of BHA and what they do.

I almost forgot this great event where BHA was a sponsor and BHA members were volunteering:

Youth Conservation & Education Expo on Saturday in Corvallis | Outdoors Briefs | missoulian.com

Right in my backyard, too. BHA has been involved in the Kids Expo since it started a few years ago. RMEF and MDF also participate. That is some good advocacy there.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Amen, I said that too. Bill

Billinsd

WKR
This is what worries me. The average non-hunting citizen I meet is either indifferent, or somewhat agreeable to the idea of hunting. Most hikers, bird watchers, or other frolicking wood folk I come across while scouting or hiking are not in favor of hunting happening where they recreate. We all want public land there for our use, but I can see the differences of groups that join in this fight bubbling to the surface at some point.
Very well put and my experiences in general as well. 75% of flappy hat wearers that I meet in the field while hiking or traveling to hunt are very much against me hunting and very concerned about hunters shooting them for sport or out of carelessness. While in town talking to people that I hunt the percentage is down around 25% against hunting in general areas. Your mileage may differ and I'm talking about California, lol.

WRO

WKR
Congrats to you, I think your campaign in Utah will go just fine.

Just sell what you think needs to go, I’m sure no one will mind.

Legit question, what value does 40 acres of landlocked public land with no access have for you? How about 160 Acres of LL public with no public access?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Legit question, what value does 40 acres of landlocked public land with no access have for you? How about 160 Acres of LL public with no public access?

It depends on the situation. Access could come in the future, or it could be used in a swap that benefits access.

This was a large landlocked tract, but BHA (and many others) worked hard and eventually lots of collaboration and generosity came together securing access to awesome country for all of us:

Public Access to New Mexico Wilderness Achieved

Lots of people wanted the Saboinoso sold off too because of its access issues, but I’m glad it wasn’t.

Billinsd

WKR
Conservatives are funny, myself included, we make fun of all the "liberals" out protesting things and tell them all to go get jobs. Then we stand around scratching our heads wondering how the hell they seem to get new laws and regulations passed. ?
Most of us Conservatives know how and why liberals get more laws and regulations passed. We do not want to stoop to their level. We by nature don't like to shout, stand out, or get real emotional. We are very logical, patient, and very slow to change. We stubbornly insist that others be logical and listen to reason, because that is the world we live in.
BHA does nothing different than the NRA, do we need to go back to thread and see the over whelming support the NRA got?
Yep, both lobby. However, the NRA is a lobby group and BHA is a non profit.

Last edited:

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
question..: BHA would have to disclose if they donate to political campaigns or any other groups correct?

BHA does nothing different than the NRA, do we need to go back to thread and see the over whelming support the NRA got?

The difference from my 10,000' view is that other groups I belong to like NRA, nwtf, rmef, du, etc.... throws down money where their mouth is. I just never saw that the years I was a bha member. Meanwhile they boasted doubling membership each year, merch sales were up, etc...

I'd see the website and publication where they came out against this or that... but never ever did I really see them doing anything of substance. Sure cleanup days are cute and good for cohesion but unlike the nra they never had lawyers in the trenches fighting for things like the wy wilderness law. T-shirts and microbrew nights were more important.

That's not a slight. If that's going to be their focus then fine. I'd just prefer to take business to someone waving less flags and acting more with what their given

CorbLand

WKR
Most of us Conservatives know how and why liberals get more laws and regulations passed. We do not want to stoop to their level. We by nature don't like to shout, stand out, or get real emotional. We are very logical, patient, and very slow to change. We stubbornly insist that others be logical and listen to reason, because that is the world we live in. Yep, both are lobby organizations.

I am not saying you have to go out and protest and be loud and annoying but you have to make your voice heard. You can’t do that by sitting idly by. Being slow to change is death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
The difference from my 10,000' view is that other groups I belong to like NRA, nwtf, rmef, du, etc.... throws down money where their mouth is. I just never saw that the years I was a bha member. Meanwhile they boasted doubling membership each year, merch sales were up, etc...

I'd see the website and publication where they came out against this or that... but never ever did I really see them doing anything of substance. Sure cleanup days are cute and good for cohesion but unlike the nra they never had lawyers in the trenches fighting for things like the wy wilderness law. T-shirts and microbrew nights were more important.

That's not a slight. If that's going to be their focus then fine. I'd just prefer to take business to someone waving less flags and acting more with what their given

I agree with you. That statement was meant more towards those talking about the political side being shady and self interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk