Join the BHA?

Trial153

WKR
Of you want to get a real feel for how and what the organization does your better off disregarding this thread, and forming your own opinion based on what you witness
A yearly membership is what 35 dollars? Why not join for a Year? Along with the membership comes issues of the backcountry journal which highlight a lot of who we are and what we are doing, also get involved at least on the informational level with your state chapter, see what it is that they are doing. You’d might be surprised.
Being a long time RMEF member I sure wouldn’t want them to miss out on a new member. So go ahead and join RMEF, then pm me your information and I will pay for a years membership for you for BHA.

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

WKR
I have decided that I will not be joining the BHA at this time... I will be joining the RMEF. I feel that their goals are more inline with my own, and they continue to produce tangible gains here in Colorado.

I'm not and will not join BHA either for many of the same reasons voiced on this thread. I hope that once more and more hunters see them for what I think they are they will die out and another group that's more inline with the views of several of us will emerge and take the lead on the public lands fight. We will see... I think you are making a solid choice in joining the RMEF! I've been a member for 20+ years and consider them my #1 priority to support! Glad to have you aboard!

JWP58

WKR
I have an interesting question regarding bha's holiest of holies, Teddy Roosevelt. Now these arent my thoughts just an observation. So with many in the far left (the side we need to put our differences aside and work with in the name of access apparently) we need to judge historical figures based upon todys values, norms, ectc. We've seen this in reference to many of the founding fathers in the recent past.

What do those liberals (many of which might support bha) think of Roosevelt? I mean ive read some of his short stories, like when went elk hunting through what is now Yellowstone. He details shooting multiple animals, taking only the meat they could eat at the time, and the head for trophy purposes. Going on safari to trophy hunt africa, etcetera.

I dont think Roosevelt would look to favorable if he were judged based on today's morals, a practice becoming very popular in the radical left....and even more mainstream wing.

Just something to ponder.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Blue Falcon,

Ive had RMEF plates on my pickup for the last 10 years. What a great organization doing great things. That is money well spent.

Yep when Patagonia helps get a grizzly season in Montana I'll join

I would guess a few of BHA's Corporate Partners would probably support a grizzly season in Montana. Does that make a difference?

Corporate Partners - Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

I am a member, and I support a grizzly season, for what that's worth.

Patagonia isn't a corporate partner, but did sponsor the 2018 Rondy. BHA brought Patagonia under their tent, but BHA ≠ Patagonia. BHA has their own platform issues, as I listed before, but they don't necessarily match up with Patagonia's.

It seems like a lot of BHA critics just can't get over BHA's acceptance of people that might have left of center political views. If that is your hard line, then BHA isn't for you. I will assure you, though, that BHA is also inclusive of those that are well right of center. That is my experience with BHA: Finding common ground on the core issues.

I am glad some readers of this thread are finding a home at RMEF. MDF and TRCP are other groups to check out.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have an interesting question regarding bha's holiest of holies, Teddy Roosevelt. Now these arent my thoughts just an observation. So with many in the far left (the side we need to put our differences aside and work with in the name of access apparently) we need to judge historical figures based upon todys values, norms, ectc. We've seen this in reference to many of the founding fathers in the recent past.

What do those liberals (many of which might support bha) think of Roosevelt? I mean ive read some of his short stories, like when went elk hunting through what is now Yellowstone. He details shooting multiple animals, taking only the meat they could eat at the time, and the head for trophy purposes. Going on safari to trophy hunt africa, etcetera.

I dont think Roosevelt would look to favorable if he were judged based on today's morals, a practice becoming very popular in the radical left....and even more mainstream wing.

I'm not a liberal, but I can answer this from my perspective. However, note I disagree with the premise that we need to judge historical figures through the moral lens of the present.

It is hard to live an all-or-none life. I can agree with Patagonia's stance on public land preservation, but not agree with their stance on grizzlies or support of the BFC. I can support one of their preservation issues without supporting all of them. I can stand with them where I agree, and debate them where I don't.

In the same way, I can agree with Teddy Roosevelt's revolutionary ideas about conservation, public land, pride in the trophy, and sanctity of the hunting pursuit, but not agree with his take on wanton waste, rumored philandering, preferred flavor of tea, etc. Seems pretty simple to me.

Last edited:

ethan

WKR
One other point, politically I think I’m just to the right of Thomas Jefferson! That being said, if a few people that have opposing political views feel the same way I do on public lands issues that I’m 100% ok with accepting their help in the battle. It doesn’t mean we will be aligned or agree on other issues, and I don’t have to go home and go to bed with them. Just my thoughts.

Trial153

WKR
Its is truly amazing to me how successful the two party establishment has been in their effort to replace pragmatism with partisanship as valuable Attribute they see in individuals and solutions.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
Blue Falcon,

Ive had RMEF plates on my pickup for the last 10 years. What a great organization doing great things. That is money well spent.

I would guess a few of BHA's Corporate Partners would probably support a grizzly season in Montana. Does that make a difference?

Corporate Partners - Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

I am a member, and I support a grizzly season, for what that's worth.

Patagonia isn't a corporate partner, but did sponsor the 2018 Rondy. BHA brought Patagonia under their tent, but BHA ≠ Patagonia. BHA has their own platform issues, as I listed before, but they don't necessarily match up with Patagonia's.

It seems like a lot of BHA critics just can't get over BHA's acceptance of people that might have left of center political views. If that is your hard line, then BHA isn't for you. I will assure you, though, that BHA is also inclusive of those that are well right of center. That is my experience with BHA: Finding common ground on the core issues.

No it seems like some people cant get over acceptance of people and groups that are diametrically opposed to hunting by bha. I get it it, someone had to pay for the pint night at the "rondy". Some people might find the social media campaign to be a bit disingenuous (see the fing yvon bullshit meme). Lets call a spade a spade, Patagonia has money and is pro public land however they are no friend to hunters.

Billinsd

WKR

Theodore was extremely far left for his time. He was a Progressive and made the Presidential position much stronger as well as the Federal government. He was an eletist and buddies with John Muir. He was very pro war like Republican Neocons and was a trophy hunter, otherwise the Left would adore him. He was a very courageous and powerful president. After he torpedoed Taft his vice president, Woodrow Willson another progressive became President, then Theodore's cousin Franklin. Theodore was a Republican pretty much in name only.

Here is some great reading. https://www.heritage.org/political-process/report/theodore-roosevelt-progressive-crusader

Last edited: