Jumping Jack Trailers

slowelk

WKR
Looking to get rid of a camper and considering getting a jumping jack to replace it. It seems like a good setup, and I haven't seen any negative reveiws, but Roksliders seem to have helpful feedback on everything. Who has used one, what's your feedback on them?

Some specific things I am curious about:

Leaks, snow load capability, heating solutions, quality?

oldgoat

WKR
Mine leaked and rotted the canvas, make sure you buy they're cover. I personally feel unless you're going to carry ATVs on it, there are better choices. Mine was still usable last time I set it up but the door ripped under the zipper from the moisture. When you park it, jack it up as high as possible, then have somebody stand on the tailgate and put a cinder block or log under the jacks plate to have it tilted as far as possible to help drain off water. If you want to travel to Denver, I'll make you one hell of a deal on mine, you might have to replace or repair the canvas, but you'll still save a hell of a lot of money. We don't want to get ATVs anymore like I did when I bought it and we backpack in instead of road camp!

I’ve always thought there’s got to be a better mousetrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
I hadn't found any negative feedback, but here it's 3 for 3! Ha. They certainly do seem overpriced for what they are. They are just a Springbar Tent on a utility trailer, which priced out separately is about $2500, not the $8500 tag on a JJ. To me the appeal seemed to be ease of setup and comfort.

neverquit

WKR
I hadn't found any negative feedback, but here it's 3 for 3! Ha. They certainly do seem overpriced for what they are. They are just a Springbar Tent on a utility trailer, which priced out separately is about $2500, not the $8500 tag on a JJ. To me the appeal seemed to be ease of setup and comfort.
When I do road camp I put my kodiak in the bed of my ranger and pitch it where ever I end up

CorbLand

WKR

I have always felt the same way. Neat idea but they sure know what they want for them.

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
Easy setup and extremely light compared to a camp trailer. I would love to have one but I cant see spending that kind of money when you know the canvas will break down over time.

Nuke Man

WKR

They are $8500! Shit I spit my beer out when I read that!!

Well, my wife and I have owned & enjoyed our Jumping Jack for some 7 years now? Must be something wrong with us... It sets up in minutes, without anyone else, and folds up just as fast. I have used it as a base camp on solo elk hunts, set it up , bivy for 3 days and come back for a nice resupply camp. We have had NO issues with ours all these years. Rain, no leaks, Winds no problems. The trailer is tough and high clearance,, with normal size tires. No mechanical devices to break like with other popups I seen.

oldgoat

WKR
I really liked mine too, still do, just like backpacking in and keeping it simpler more. And I'm not going to get ATVs so I don't need such a heavy weight trailer!

imrich

FNG
I love the idea of them, had thought about building something similar. Just way overpriced for what they are.

Blackcow

WKR
I sold mone last year, but I had mine since 2006 I guess. I got mine for 3500, bit it was like a deal through the outfitter i guided for and Jumping Jack. I have, I'd say, a years worth of nights sleeping in that thing.

Buy the extra cover
If its wet when you put it down to go home, leave the "included cover" unzipped towards the back. Set it up at home and let it dry. Jack the front up high at least while drying!
Set it up once a month, to make sure its dry( see a pattern?)
Don't forget to put the rear "foot" up when moving it or going home.
You WILL eventually buy another canvas. DON'T buy the " canvas is the same but the color is off so its cheaper" version. Spend the grand. 1150.00 or so with shipping. Otherwise the parts that dont mildew and mold will rot in the sun after a couple days. For reference, the good one is green on the sides, the other is so pale green as to be white. It WILL be white after a couple days in the sun.
Put skateboard skid tape on the tailgate or you will remove all the skin from your shins at least once. Especially if crown royal is involved.
Snow was never an issue. Loading a quad on it in the snow(or mud) can be....fun. Find a ditch to stick a tire in to lower one side, and load the from the side. Still less harrowing than loading the same quad in the bed of a lifted truck with a short ramp in the snow.

Buy the cover.
Never put it up wet.
Dont pay 8500. You can probably find a used Baja for less, still haul your quad, have heat and air, and take a sh*t inside when its snowing.

cbstewart

FNG
I just picked one up for $3K from a guy selling his on Facebook marketplace. Very gently used with pretty much every accessory available, so im definitely happy with the deal. Gotta love getting lucky and buying from other bowhunters.

I wouldnt spend the retail $8K+ either, but that’s because I dont have that kind of money to throw around. 2 other guys in my crew have one and they have been pretty awesome for what we need, which is frequent 3 day scouting trips with quads, and the occasional camping trip with a family of 4. I drive a Tacoma and I like going as light and fast as possible, but i bought a quad last year and needed a trailer anyways, so this tent trailer seemed like the best fit for me. Cant wait to wear her out on my Nevada archery elk tag this year.

The only real issue Ive seen with all 4 of the trailers is the outer bag zipper. Everyone’s bags are missing teeth, so much so that one of the guys can really only zip up half of his bag. The canvas on my tent looks like it was used maybe half a dozen times, and the bag is still missing zipper teeth. Other than that, Im pretty happy with the decision, but if i had $8K burning a hole in my pocket and a bigger truck, Id probably be looking for small used toy haulers.
73985E19-1AE9-4433-A785-4B7DC48A0723.jpeg

jrfred

FNG
Bought a 2016 standard 6x8 that had only been used about 4 times, so it was practically new. All the extra bed/seat frames and accessories. $5K on Craigslist. Very comfortable for 4, was surprised how big it was inside. Good base camp / staging area for backpacking or just regular camping. Previously I was hauling my Aliner Expedition a-frame hard sided pop-up and then a different tow vehicle for my side by side ATV & trailer - needed 2 tow vehicles or needed to make two trips. JJ solves this problem plus you can take it much deeper in the woods than you can a standard style Coleman camper - which was getting beaten up just taking it in a little ways. Don't get me wrong my Aliner camper was warm and comfortable. Put 65 psi radials on the JJ and trailer brakes (one of my tow vehicles is old and whimpy), which is good for highway, but definitely drop that pressure down 20 psi or so on the back county dirt roads or you'll really find out why they named it Jumping Jack, especially when unloaded. We had some wet snow that did not shed off the roof like a typical a-frame style canvas tent, started to sag a lot, so we had to 'punch' it off the roof from time to time. If it's windy, park the hitch facing into the wind; we had the long side facing the wind and it was like sleeping inside a subwoofer, woke all of us up a lot. For heat my new Mr. Heater Buddy would not stay lit above 8000', (no surprise the directions says 7000’ max.) so I went with the Zodi Hot Vent Tent heater heat exchanger unit, so now all the combustion is outside the tent and I hooked it to my 20 gal propane tank so no need to worry about running out of little green bottles or carbon monoxide inside the tent, can keep it running all night and be comfortable. Yes had to install a deep cycle house/marine battery next to the propane tank in front to run the convection heater fan, but most campers have a battery setup anyway; it trickle charges when towing and I have a 80 watt solar panel charging it all day while I'm in the bush (also necessary because everybody loves to charge their phones). I bought a full/double size 2" memory foam topper as those camper cushions are pretty hard and I'm 54 now. There is a lot of bending over during setup inside the unit; again I'm 54 so I recommend knee pads and doing it from your knees will save your back, or have a youngster do it. The outside table it comes with is pretty cattywampus, especially in the wind, and like the others have mentioned, the rain zip cover was hard to zip up, so the seams starting pulling the threads, the beginning of zipper failure, which will allow the mice to get in. I stopped by the plant in Salt Lake to pick up the loading ramps, they have a bustling welding shop, I believe their business is good. Mine got soaked with the wet snow but I set it up later in my yard and it dried out quick and re-packed it for the winter in my pasture with the added cover they offer, tilted back; we’ll see how it fares. So far I’m happy with it over 2 trips and 1000 miles.IMG_2017.jpegIMG_2025.jpeg

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks for the detailed post @jrfred I ultimately ended up not buying a JJ and going a different route but they still hold my interest. It would make a big difference if I could see one up close and in person, but SD recreationalists just don't seem to be aware of them.

Very informative thread. I too have an interest in these trailers as I'm an ATV/UTV owner. My question was how they held up to the snow/rain and the longevity of the tent. Lots of good take's on these trailers from you guys

Voyageur

WKR
@jrfred I'm wondering how your Jumping Jack fared during winter storage??
For other owners: When the tent is folded in the trailer and an ATV strapped on top what is there for storage both inside and outside the trailer? I keep coming back to a cargo trailer as being a better option because I can keep my gear out of the elements when traveling and locked up when at a motel, trailhead, etc.
Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks.