Bear Invading Camp/Tent Likelihood

treillw

WKR
If you keep a clean camp (cook and store all food elsewhere, have no toothpaste, chap stick, or any scented items which may attract a bear), how likely is a bear to come visit your camp?

How likely are they to try to get into your tent in the middle of the night?

Is it worth having an electric fence for sleeping, or is it just a "security blanket"?

Thoughts:
* You can be as clean as you want, but will always have some food odors present in your hair and clothes from cooking, etc.
* I've heard people say that bears can smell the food inside of a sealed metal can - pretty crazy sniffing power.

VernAK

WKR
Not very likely......but it can happen.
Don't over-think this bear thing.
Prepare your camp by peeing around perimeter........electric fences work as do Critter Gitters.

There are several previous threads regarding this issue.

S.Clancy

WKR
The more precautions you take, the less likely an encounter becomes. Everything with any odor goes up the tree, tho I do sleep in the clothes I eat in. I also pee all around the perimeter of our camps. As a Fish and Game employee told me year ago, "I want the bear to know there is a person in the tent, not a snickers bar." If we kill an elk (can almost always get deer out without having to come back) we cover in branches and piss around those, leave smelly article of clothing. The only thing we've ever had get into meat is eagles. Just take all the requisite precautions and have fun.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Prepare your camp by peeing around perimeter........electric fences work as do Critter Gitters.

Thanks, I'll try searching around too.

KJH

WKR

Vern's advice is solid. Don't overthink it and make an invisible pee fence...

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Vern's advice is solid. Don't overthink it and make an invisible pee fence...

Guess I had better chug a lot of water before bedtime and master the art of the pee walk! :rolleyes:

super

Banned
I have been in the mix of this before...plant decoys of dead fishes and honey leading them to another direction. Make a big camp fire and make intimidating noises when they come too close and you will be fine.

Ps: if that doesn’t work, make sure you outrun the fattest person in the camp.

Anything is possible and bears are unpredictable, but keeping a clean camp is for sure the right thing to do. I believe that electric bear fences work and I have some experience with this to back it up so IMO they're definitely not just a "security blanket". A few years back there was a local couple here in Anchorage that did a summer float trip up in the Brooks range. They were experienced rafters and experienced with extended camping trips in bear country. They did all the right things regarding keeping a clean camp, using bear proof food containers, and would even go so far as to cook and eat their food, then float down the river a few miles to set up camp for the night. Well, one night a grizzly came into their camp and killed them in their tent. They were found partially eaten with a loaded, unfired, pistol in the tent where they were killed.
No signs of why bear attacked couple in Alaska | The Seattle Times
I don't know if a fence would have helped/saved them or not, but I'm sure that it wouldn't have hurt. The chance of a bear coming into a clean camp and killing you is very small, but bears are unpredictable and there is always a chance when you're in bear country. I absolutely don't endorse the idea of being "bearanoid", but you should take the necessary precautions when in bear country.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
When it's your turn in the barrel then it's your turn, do everything you can to avoid being a snack but the reality is that bears are just like people, no two are alike and sometimes they do things on a whim.

530Chukar

WKR
I think a lot of these precautions are overkill. On one of the MeatEater podcasts they had this discussion and a good point was that you’re much more likely to be killed in your sleep by a car crashing into your home than a bear coming into your tent. I think there are a lot more likely events to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super

Banned
I think a lot of these precautions are overkill. On one of the MeatEater podcasts they had this discussion and a good point was that you’re much more likely to be killed in your sleep by a car crashing into your home than a bear coming into your tent. I think there are a lot more likely events to worry about.

This is very funny statistic, likely to be killed by a car crashing into your home than a bear....but when it happens what do you do ? Better be preferred than having you limb torn off.

530Chukar

WKR
This is very funny statistic, likely to be killed by a car crashing into your home than a bear....but when it happens what do you do ? Better be preferred than having you limb torn off.

I agree. For me it just becomes more of a hassle at some point. For me I will hang my food but that is all. It’s probably pointless when I still cook in the tent as well as keep breakfast and the next days food in my pack.

If you think about it, sharks in the ocean are almost the exact scenario of being in bear country but people don’t take near the precautions for sharks. Hell, people swim and surf within a hundred yards of piers with people filleting fish and dumping them below. For whatever reason when I’m deep in bear (black) country by myself I tend to get spooked in certain low vis areas. I think maybe bears are just scarier than sharks.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If you keep a clean camp (cook and store all food elsewhere, have no toothpaste, chap stick, or any scented items which may attract a bear), how likely is a bear to come visit your camp?

How likely are they to try to get into your tent in the middle of the night?

Is it worth having an electric fence for sleeping, or is it just a "security blanket"?

Thoughts:
* You can be as clean as you want, but will always have some food odors present in your hair and clothes from cooking, etc.
* I've heard people say that bears can smell the food inside of a sealed metal can - pretty crazy sniffing power.

Bears happen. I would suggest hanging all scented things, and even then, if they find a camp, they’ll get curious.....my advice: take it seriously but don’t let it ruin your experience. Also a good idea to try and camp out of a path of travel where a bear might happen upon your camp. Otherwise........2016 junk show:
7a07499683099171d6b4738aab2590b4.jpg

df5c5c4c07f2bbabacde7f91db95fecf.jpg

13.475% chance if you do two or more things wrong. 9.50% chance for only one infraction. 3.25% chance if you do everything right but face your tent the wrong direction. 2.45% chance.......

Seriously. Just do the best you can and use some common sense. That's still no guarantee but, its like all things in the life when you play the odds. Put everything in your favor that you can because, you can't control the rest of it. God bless

super

Banned
When they invade your camp or tent, it’s probably because you’ve got food they want.

S.Clancy

WKR
I agree. For me it just becomes more of a hassle at some point. For me I will hang my food but that is all. It’s probably pointless when I still cook in the tent as well as keep breakfast and the next days food in my pack.

You're right, it is pointless.

dotman

WKR
If you think about it, sharks in the ocean are almost the exact scenario of being in bear country but people don’t take near the precautions for sharks. Hell, people swim and surf within a hundred yards of piers with people filleting fish and dumping them below. For whatever reason when I’m deep in bear (black) country by myself I tend to get spooked in certain low vis areas. I think maybe bears are just scarier than sharks.

Heck no sharks freak me out!

Heck no sharks freak me out!
You and me both. I thinks it's something about being in water over my head that seals the deal for me, plus I always have a gun either on or very close to me in bear country. I've never had a weapon on me when I've been in the ocean.

On one of the MeatEater podcasts they had this discussion and a good point was that you’re much more likely to be killed in your sleep by a car crashing into your home than a bear coming into your tent. I think there are a lot more likely events to worry about.

I absolutely agree with this....for most folks, especially ones living in the lesser 48. That's not so much the case where I live. First off it's totally impossible for someone to run their vehicle into my home, unless their vehicle is a plane, and every summer I have both black and brown bears coming through my front yard. Not to mention that every place I hunt, fish, and camp has bears and I've had bears in camp (either causing problems or not), on many occasions, and I've had to kill brown bears in camp.
0c3d0114af49f0c0483729e426dc61cd.jpg