Rattlesnake Bite

super

Banned
Horses are integral to the antivenom industry as they have hyper-immunity to snake bites. Horses are the unlikely heroes helping to create antivenom for snake bite treatments for pets. ... "These horses are all hyper-immune to snake bites.

Die. . You die.

I think what he meant to say was:

"Venom
The venom is hemotoxic, destroying tissue, causing necrosis and coagulopathy (disrupted blood clotting).[31] In the U.S., the tiger rattlesnake (C. tigris) and some varieties of the Mojave rattlesnake (C. scutulatus) also have a presynaptic neurotoxic venom component known as Mojave type A toxin, which can cause severe paralysis.[31][32][33] Although it has a comparatively low venom yield,[34] the venom toxicity of C. tigris is considered to be among the highest of all rattlesnake venoms, and among the highest of all snakes in the Western Hemisphere based on LD50 studies conducted on laboratory mice. C. scutulatus is also widely regarded as producing one of the most toxic snake venoms in the Americas, based on LD50 studies in laboratory mice.[35]

Rattlesnake venom is a mixture of five to 15 enzymes, various metal ions, biogenic amines, lipids, free amino acids, proteins, and polypeptides. It contains components designed to immobilize and disable the prey, as well as digestive enzymes which break down tissue to prepare for later ingestion.[26][30] The venom is very stable, and retains its toxicity for many years in storage.[26]

Older snakes possess more potent venom, and larger snakes are frequently capable of storing larger volumes of it.[36]"

Here is the wikipedia link: Rattlesnake - Wikipedia

So yeh, I think you would die. Sorry OP.

You wish you’d bought an InReach:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^This.^^^ You stay put, remove your boots, jewelry, anything constictive and wait for the helo. The good news is that researchers are very close to finding an alternative to traditional antivenom (from specific snake species) and developing a serum that works universally on all snake bites...it think it comes from possums of all things.

browens3

FNG
You likely don't die unless you can't walk or have an allergic reaction to the venom.
Are you serious? There is no "allergic reaction" per say to venom. Saying it's not only certain people that have a reaction to snake venom. It gets everyone it gets into. It's venom and it kills you if theres enough of it in you. And if it doesnt kill you it jacks you up pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

super

Banned
But that's what happens if you're 7 miles from a truck with venom dripping out of your snake bite. You die.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You don’t if you know how to make use of the herb in the woods. So let’s learn.

You can have an allergic reaction to venom and you can also have an allergic reaction to the anti-venom. Now i know that you arent allergic to venom with its typical action (hemotoxic vs neurotoxix) but there is the possibilty of the venom causing an anaphylactic reaction (which is an allergic response). Very few people actually die from rattle snake bites and of the ones that due there is a percentage who die from complications to the antivenom administration as well.

Being 7 miles from the truck exacerbates the situation and maybe responding the way I did over simplifies it but so does saying that you are dead automatically

It is believed that rattle snakes regulate the amount of venom depending on whether biting for food or safety. This is believed to account for the percentage of dry bites. I can't prove this because I can't ask a snake but it is why hospitals won't actually give you antivenom until the area that is bitten swells and shows symptoms of the Envenomation (that and the cost of typical treatment often exceed 36000 in antivenom).

Now being 7 miles from the truck will allow the hemotoxic venom enough time to work and cause clots to move to the heart or lungs causing death by heart attack or PE How quickly this happens I would think depends on where you are but and how much venom was injected.

Bl704

WKR
Walk.

Random factoid, antivenom is about 30x cheaper at a veterinarians office v hospital (500/vial v 15k+). My brother was bitten by a moccasin, my dog by a copperhead. Brother and dog both survived, ~$250k v $800 medical/vet bills.

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
You're 7 miles from the truck and an hour drive to the nearest hospital and you just got bit by a rattlesnake. Fang marks on your leg. Venom running down your skin. Spotty/no cell phone reception. What do you do?

Run to the truck as fast as possible, or take your time and try to not pump the venom through your veins faster?

Chuck Norris was once bitten by a King Cobra. After 5 days of pain and agony, the cobra finally died. Be like Chuck.

You know, we haven't heard from the OP since his post in this thread. I hope he is okay. One would think that if you had internet connection you could also make a call to someone to help you out, right? Bless his heart for trying to tough it out though.

Yeah that one was about 25 minutes from my house. I work as a pharmacist in a hospital in the area. Over the last 10 years or so we have treated I think 3 snake bites. We are a small hospital so they are all in the ER and on a flight to Pittsburgh or Danville.

Rokwiia

WKR
There are a myriad of reasons why a hospital will charge geometrically more than a vet. First, you can't receive antivenom (aka antivenin) without first being tested to see if you are allergic to it. People can go into anaphylxis resulting from an allergy to horse plasma which is what is used to produce antivenom. Many hospitals don't carry it and it must be flown in by helicopter.

I've thought long and hard about this issue because I nearly stepped on a timber rattler last year. I was hiking by myself and, based on where it nearly happened, it would be an hour hike to my car if I really booked it or 90+ minutes if I took my time. The area is out of cell service and once I reached my car it was another hour to reach a hospital.

My decision would have been to book it down the mountain even though it would cause the venom to course faster through my veins. I've since bought snake-proof gaiters for when I hike again in that area.

and on top of that the hospital bill will include any mode of transport, nursing and Dr care, lab tests, among other things.

Current cost for Crofab is at $5816 for 2 vials from our supplier. First dose is 6 vials. Total dose is usually 12 to 24 vials. Then if you get re-envenomation syndrome this all can be repeated.

Just makes you think about the cost of an accident. I have fished and hunted the backwoods of central PA for 21 years and only have seen one Timber rattlesnake in the wild. I have no doubt passed hundreds but I don't look for them and am very cautious when passing known den sites and rocky outcroppings as I have an irrational fear of them.

^^^Why I wear these when snakes are active.^^^

[video=youtube;X6wmVUvNdhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6wmVUvNdhA[/video]

Was dry struck by a Diamondback at camp as a kid and it scarred my psyche and calf.