Truck tires

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Why an f150 with 20s? That's a pavement princess. I had a 2010 that was a complete pile of shit that sucked off road.

At a minimum put smaller rims on it that actually have some side wall, or just get a real off road capable truck like a tacoma..

I do like the stt Maxx tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
8992dcd6896efa9262e6f960c3d49400.jpg

Multiple reasons. The first being, I just like them. Nothing wrong with the Tacos; they just don't fit what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a dedicated off road machine, just something that will get me through most of what I encounter. If I happen to encounter a 4ft deep mud hole that I have to get through to get to my spot, then I'll back up, and go to my Plan B spot, and so on. I won't be taking a $60k truck through that kind of stuff. Hell, I wouldn't even take a beater through that stuff while I'm that far away from home and by myself. I want something that is overall nice and comfortable, has a lot of creature comforts for long road trips, is big enough to haul all my crap, tow what I want, and then get me through the majority of Forestry road stuff. I think the new F-150s fit that bill, at least for me.

And yea, I know I'd be more capable off road with some 17s or even 18s, but that doesn't score high on the MC scale. That, and Ford recommends the 20" wheels (which is what come on it) for max towing capability.

BTW, are those Mayhem wheels? I've been eyeballing the Fuel Vectors which are very similar.

I really do appreciate everyone's recommendations so far. I'm really leaning towards the S/T Maxx's. Those Toyos R/Ts are probably a close second. Their capabilities seem nearly identical. Both in 295/55R20; the Toyos are 64lb/ea, the Maxxs are 65lb/ea. The Toyos are about $50 more for an entire set of 6, so pretty much a wash there. Tread depth is slightly deeper on the Maxx. Durability between the two? I don't feel like I could go wrong either way.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Multiple reasons. The first being, I just like them. Nothing wrong with the Tacos; they just don't fit what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a dedicated off road machine, just something that will get me through most of what I encounter. If I happen to encounter a 4ft deep mud hole that I have to get through to get to my spot, then I'll back up, and go to my Plan B spot, and so on. I won't be taking a $60k truck through that kind of stuff. Hell, I wouldn't even take a beater through that stuff while I'm that far away from home and by myself. I want something that is overall nice and comfortable, has a lot of creature comforts for long road trips, is big enough to haul all my crap, tow what I want, and then get me through the majority of Forestry road stuff. I think the new F-150s fit that bill, at least for me.

And yea, I know I'd be more capable off road with some 17s or even 18s, but that doesn't score high on the MC scale. That, and Ford recommends the 20" wheels (which is what come on it) for max towing capability.

BTW, are those Mayhem wheels? I've been eyeballing the Fuel Vectors which are very similar.

I really do appreciate everyone's recommendations so far. I'm really leaning towards the S/T Maxx's. Those Toyos R/Ts are probably a close second. Their capabilities seem nearly identical. Both in 295/55R20; the Toyos are 64lb/ea, the Maxxs are 65lb/ea. The Toyos are about $50 more for an entire set of 6, so pretty much a wash there. Tread depth is slightly deeper on the Maxx. Durability between the two? I don't feel like I could go wrong either way.
He has SCS wheels on his Taco. One of the 10 sets a month that they import lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR

Yeah if you need to get back deep on some crazy roads just get an atv and trailer and save the wear on the pickup.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ford might recommend 20s, but those things are gonna beat you to death off pavement with that reduced sidewall. I think guys have been hauling stuff for decades in trucks with tires that have actual sidewalls, just have to maintain the correct air pressure. Sounds like you are more concerned with mall crawler looks though, which doesn't even register on my radar, and I think anything over an 18" rim on a truck is for a street queen. Nothing like a good case of rock rash on your MC wheels because you don't have any sidewall.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Ford might recommend 20s, but those things are gonna beat you to death off pavement with that reduced sidewall. I think guys have been hauling stuff for decades in trucks with tires that have actual sidewalls, just have to maintain the correct air pressure. Sounds like you are more concerned with mall crawler looks though, which doesn't even register on my radar, and I think anything over an 18" rim on a truck is for a street queen. Nothing like a good case of rock rash on your MC wheels because you don't have any sidewall.

I know sarcasm doesn't come through very well on the internet, but I'm totally kidding about the mall crawler shit. I figured it was painfully obvious by now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lol. There's only one way to find out... keep prodding 🤣🤣
I know sarcasm doesn't come through very well on the internet, but I'm totally kidding about the mall crawler shit. I figured it was painfully obvious by now.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
I run a 2500 dodge diesel 4x4, loaded with tools.. tried the bfg's, tried the wranglers ( fastest wearing tire I've seen).. on my second set of AT2's extreme's 10 ply, hands down the best tires I have had... got them on the Toyota pick up as well. Went to America's tire, and saved 400.00 over what Les wanted. My .02$
Mike

WRO

WKR
He has SCS wheels on his Taco. One of the 10 sets a month that they import lol.

I felt like a teeny bopper trying to get Justin bieber tickets buying those. No one else local has set I've seen yet..

WRO

WKR

I didn't have too many issues on gravel, but the desert and canyon country was the gift that just kept giving. Not rock crawling, just Rocky two tracks. Broke a steering control arm, crunched the rocker panels. Ate shocks at a 40k interval on average. I put 2 previous tacos through the same treatment with no issues.

That pos left me stranded twice towing a trailer with stupid electrical problems. Not to mention the pile of nickel and dime shit until the motor went nipples up at 120k.

That being said, it was much more comfortable for day to day. If you dump it at 60k, you'll be fineish..

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Over the last few years I have ran BFG All terrain, Goodyear duratracs and now I am running Nitto Ridge grapplers. BFG's were ok, but wore out quicker than I would have liked. The duratracs used to be my favorite tire until I put them on a 3/4 ton and I was very unimpressed. Had a few puncture in the center and had 3 have tread seperation. I will never run them again. The Ridge grappler has been pretty fantastic so far. I only have 25k on them, but they are smooth and are a nice cross between mud and all terrain. Nitto and Toyo are the same company, so there tires are pretty much the exact same thing with very small differences between the 2.

IdahoElk

WKR
Over the last few years I have ran BFG All terrain, Goodyear duratracs and now I am running Nitto Ridge grapplers. BFG's were ok, but wore out quicker than I would have liked. The duratracs used to be my favorite tire until I put them on a 3/4 ton and I was very unimpressed. Had a few puncture in the center and had 3 have tread seperation. I will never run them again. The Ridge grappler has been pretty fantastic so far. I only have 25k on them, but they are smooth and are a nice cross between mud and all terrain. Nitto and Toyo are the same company, so there tires are pretty much the exact same thing with very small differences between the 2.

I'm interested in those Nitto's hows the road noise compared to BFG at's?

Oregon

WKR
I’m not a tire expert, but 2 sheep hunts and 2 deer hunts on lava rock infested 5mph two tracks of SE Oregon and zero flats.
Toyo backcountry A/t. Not a single flat in 45k miles. I’m guessing I’ll get another 20k out of them. Maybe more.
Mounted on my Toyota.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm interested in those Nitto's hows the road noise compared to BFG at's?

They are not quite as quiet as the BFG AT's, but they are quieter than the duratracs were. I would say the noise is pretty quiet considering the semi- aggressive tread pattern.

Save some money, fuel mileage, and ride quality and get 18s with factory sized 10 plys. It's ok if your pickup doesn't look like it came from a Florida Georgia line music video.

I put 40-50k on company pickups a year and have gone through a lot of tires (we typically get to choose tires unless ungodly expensive). Advice on toyo and cooper seems like a good way to go.

I put 10 ply bfg a/t ko2s on my current company f150 crew cab around 7k miles ago. So far I'm happy. Traction is great off road, they are quiet, pretty decent road manners. They do toss you around more when you hit a bump at hwy speeds or dirt road washboard than the pathetic wranglers that came with it but I expect that going to a 10 ply.

Worst tire I've put on a pickup is the duratracs- noisy, mediocre traction, shitty ride..

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Save some money, fuel mileage, and ride quality and get 18s with factory sized 10 plys. It's ok if your pickup doesn't look like it came from a Florida Georgia line music video.

I put 40-50k on company pickups a year and have gone through a lot of tires (we typically get to choose tires unless ungodly expensive). Advice on toyo and cooper seems like a good way to go.

I put 10 ply bfg a/t ko2s on my current company f150 crew cab around 7k miles ago. So far I'm happy. Traction is great off road, they are quiet, pretty decent road manners. They do toss you around more when you hit a bump at hwy speeds or dirt road washboard than the pathetic wranglers that came with it but I expect that going to a 10 ply.

Worst tire I've put on a pickup is the duratracs- noisy, mediocre traction, shitty ride..

Can I still listen to Florida Georgia Line? I like to mix it up with a little Luke Bryan every once in awhile as well.

Can I still listen to Florida Georgia Line? I like to mix it up with a little Luke Bryan every once in awhile as well.

Lol! Both are great! Make sure you add some Kane brown, real prototypical salt of the earth country.

Just messing with you though, go for it if 20's tickle your pickle.

WRO

WKR
Don't forget the bedazzled kit for your kuiu..

e1aa69c0aae7405a12ca9fab6a858190.jpg

Fitzwho

WKR
Nitto TerraGrapplers. Just replaced a set that had 53,000 miles on them that could have gone a few more months (another 5,000 miles or so and I only rotated them once), but have a lot of family highway miles coming up, so didn’t want to chance it.