Truck tires

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, I'm ramping up to buy a new truck and am, of course, researching all the goodies I plan to put on it. The truck will be a 2018/19 F-150 SuperCrew with the 5.5' bed; 3.5L EcoBoost. It's main purpose will be trekking cross country, and then getting me where I need to go to access whatever hunting spot I have selected. Being that I am in Central Ohio, and take 2-3 trips per year out West, I will be putting a decent amount of highway miles on them. +/- 12,000miles/yr just in getting to my spots. It will be driven around home for work and play every once in awhile, but will not be a daily driver. I'll be buying 6 of them (2 spares), around 33" tall, on a 20" x 10" wheel. What do you guys suggest?

What I would like (if possible):
-Good all around manners in a variety of conditions; dry, rain, snow, mud, rocks, etc.
-Particularly good on the highway. I can stand a little hum, but I don't want a migraine after a 2000mile trip west. I know some tires start out OK, but really start singing after you get some miles on them. I'd like to avoid that.
-Relatively bulletproof/puncture resistant. I know some of the Forestry roads I've encountered in Colorado were pretty gnarly when it came to rocks. I see a lot are 10ply, but I assume they aren't talking about the sidewalls. That said, I'll have 2 spares, so if I need to trade sidewall resistance for something else, I've got some wiggle room.
-Decent in the mud.
-Chainable. I plan on carrying chains with me for all 4 corners. I can probably trade off some mudding ability because of this.
-Must obtain a least an 7/10 on the Mall Crawler scale.

I'm really liking what I'm reading about the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's. They're a mud terrain that seems to get great reviews. From what I've read, they do quite well on the highway for a mud terrain compared to a lot of others. My second choice would probably be the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx. It's an all terrain, so I'm guessing it would do better on the highway than the STT Pro, but obviously gives up some offroad ability and only scores about a 6/10 on the MC scale. My father runs Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and loves them. I hear the sidewalls can be weak and they start to sing after they get some miles on them.

What would RokSlide recommend?

SWOHTR

WKR
You’re basically describing a good all terrain tire, so with that, BFG AT.

If you want to max out your MC scale, get 44in boggers, cut and siped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I had bad luck with Duratracs, twice I have had punctures in the center of the tread from rocks. I switched to falken wildpeak at3s. Quiet and good road manners but not high on the MC scale.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cooper ST Maxx all day over DuraTracs. DTs start getting loud once you put miles on them, and the ST Maxx is a far more durable tire. I could care less about the mall crawler scale. What the hell are you going to the mall for anyways? BFGs I've had started getting squirelly at about half tread life. Lots of guys like them, but I'll take the Coopers all day over them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just put these on my Silverado 1500 today.

Back Country MT Traction Tires for LT

I drive about 25k a year. Most of it being in the mountains. This will be my 4th set of toyos. Either MT or AT. Zero issues. I have been getting awesome life out of them too. Rotate every oil change and we are good to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I would also recommend the st maxx. My brother has them on his dually and loves them. I have the duratracs and my fuel milage went down when I switched to them from the geolanders (which was expected but lost 4mpg according the lie o meter on the dash) and yes they have gotten louder.

Mosby

WKR
I really like the Cooper AT 3 in a 10 ply. I have driven them on rocky trails, ice, snow and muddy forest service roads. They have been outstanding. I am buying a new 4 x 4 this year and I am trading out the stock tires for the Coopers. I like them better than the ST Maxx on the highway and they have been great on trails. Maybe the best all around tire I have had.

Dunndm

WKR
I need an answer to this too. So I'm following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big fan of Toyos here. I've had 5 sets on my f350. I prefer the mt's, super quiet for such an aggressive tire. My mt's last about the same as the ATlI's I tried.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yokahama Geolander
I wish they still made the Super Diggers. Probably my most favorite tire I've ever had. Probably why they stopped making them. Way to go Yokohama lol.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The old style Super Diggers. I'll have to try and find a pic of the tread style.

I'm running the Toyo R/T line and have taken them from California to Wyoming and back and also a trip to Utah. I really like them in all aspects. They aren't a super quiet highway tire but they aren't too noisy and I can be pretty picky, although they are at my threshold with the noise factor. They are also wearing great!

Big fan of Toyos here. I've had 5 sets on my f350. I prefer the mt's, super quiet for such an aggressive tire. My mt's last about the same as the ATlI's I tried.

Ya, the R/T's are in between the A/T's and the M/T's as far as tread design. I think it's a nice happy medium.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The ones I had back in the day were similar to these. I wish I had some of my pics scanned lol.
d50fa9dfd2439ce2cea6a557f4fbc593.jpg

Ive got a GMC 3500 I will be putting shoes on soon- right now it has A/T firestone, but a very non aggressive tread. Should last way longer than I hope they do. I say that cause they are great street tires, but terrible in rocky mountain roads . Pretty sure I could shred them in one season up top.

When I switch out- it will be BFG A/T
I have had great luck with these in the mountain, but the tread wears quicker on street. But I aint changing a tire on my way up the mountain at 4:00 AM either.

Agross

WKR
Another vote for the cooper st/maxx I put em on my truck and have been very happy with them. This was my first time buying them , and when these are shot, I'll buy another set of em. They have a little hum to em, but not bad.

I really like the Cooper AT 3 in a 10 ply. I have driven them on rocky trails, ice, snow and muddy forest service roads. They have been outstanding. I am buying a new 4 x 4 this year and I am trading out the stock tires for the Coopers. I like them better than the ST Maxx on the highway and they have been great on trails. Maybe the best all around tire I have had.

I switched from BFG ATs to Cooper ATP (basically same tire as AT 3, but exclusive to Americas Tire and a little cheaper). BFGs used to be great, but I had two bad sets, I noticed they said Made in China, so that’s why I switched to Cooper. I drive thousands of miles offroad every year and they perform good aired up and down. If you keep up with rotation they stay quiet on the freeway. Even though you are getting an F-150, consider getting Loade Range “E” rating (not “D”), the extra plys will help if they have that in size for your wheel and truck lift. Congrats on future truck.