Oklahoma/Texas Hog hunting

super

Banned
I live in Colorado and wanting to do some hog hunting in either OK or TX. I'm wanting to find a place with a guide but wanting reviews. It seems like there are more and more places that are charging alot of hidden fees and such. Are there any good places out there that someone could recommend? I don't mind high fence areas for hogs. I am not interested in exotics or rams, just looking to fill the freezer and take a kid and friends hunting and not break the bank. I appreciate any help. I've tried to do a ton of research but i keep striking out on finding a good, legit operation.

wytx

WKR
There are LOTS of put and take hog hunts now. Look into some Texas hunting forums for adds and reviews. Most will have a limit . The ones with no limit usually have more severe problems with them and want them gone. Put and take will have limits usually 2 pigs from what I have seen. Look into some North Texas hunts or Southern OK.

pm sent

Aporia

FNG
Go check out the "green screen", the folks are real friendly and might even invite you to hunt hogs with them.

Pm me if you need more info.

If you are really wanting to have a unquie experience look into night thermal hunts.

It’s about to be raging hot in Texas, all wild life tend to go nocturnal’ish

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
We hunt hogs with dogs here in central Ok.... it’s really better mid winter through early spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Sticking pigs with knives is really the funnest way to hunt em. I’ve done a little of everything and it’s quite an adrenaline rush. It’s hit and miss this time of year but I’d take you out if you wanted to come (and reciprocate a mountain hunt later of course lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
Go check out the "green screen", the folks are real friendly and might even invite you to hunt hogs with them.

Pm me if you need more info.

+2 on the Green Screen! A really good bunch of folks!

I personally would avoid a pay to play pig operation but that's just me...

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I have been on five or so day lease hog hunts and I wouldn't recommend any of them. Usually a place will have some good sized pigs, but not many, or a ton of small ones. Last place I went had 50+ pigs per sit and not one over 40 pounds.

I'll give another vote for the green screen.

Vandal 44

WKR
I have a Client that owns BowTie Hunting Ranch in Cameron, OK

Its a family operation, They are booked for the year but you might be able to get a spot depending how many people.

Ten Bears

WKR
look up danny pierce at rush creek in wheeler texas. one of the nicest guys in that area and literally knows everyone. has the hogs dialed in.

wytx

WKR
I have been on five or so day lease hog hunts and I wouldn't recommend any of them. Usually a place will have some good sized pigs, but not many, or a ton of small ones. Last place I went had 50+ pigs per sit and not one over 40 pounds.

I'll give another vote for the green screen.

Those are the best eating size, how many did you take?
One problem you'll find is if you can talk with a landowner they will want you to shoot all the pigs you see, not just the big boars. If you can get a foot in the door for private access make you tell the landowner you'll shoot all the pigs you can, especially the sows. That will get you some brownie points with landowners that have a problem with hogs.We're lucky, family has 3,000 acres we can hunt for hogs and neighbors are happy to let us one their places too but we had to promise to shoot any we see, not just big boars. Finding someone to let you on their place without knowing you or how you hunt will be tough unless you go the guided or outfitted route. Landowners are just not very willing to let unknown folks on their place with a firearm, they have cattle, pets and buildings they don't want shot.

LostArra

WKR
It's a common misunderstanding but ranchers who have a hog problem don't typically see them every day or even every week. They see the damage. Hogs are tough to pattern and frequently nocturnal in the summer. I deer hunt a place that will occasionally have a "hog problem" but any bow shots are usually a random infrequent occurrence. I've gone the entire 3 month bow season without ever seeing a live hog but I see plenty of the damage they cause. There was one time I saw about 50 come out of a creek at once but out of range. The rancher carries a rifle in his truck and will shoot them if and when he gets the opportunity. Guys who deer hunt over corn feeders will obviously see more hogs.

Shiloh Ranch
Stonewall, OK

I took my wife and nephews there and didn't really like it. Very canned experience, but they killed hogs with their bows.

It's a small fenced operation and you sit in a box blind or tree stand over a corn feeder, It goes off, the pigs come in.

The owner talked a big game about his blood tracking dogs but when my nephew had a bad hit it was very difficult to get him off the couch and out with the dog to help look. we never recovered it.

It is not a place would travel a great distance to hunt. The problem is that in summer, free ranging pigs are often nocturnal and very hard to pattern.

Last edited:

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
There are a few WMA's I have read they are prevalent on, but haven't seen them there. I'd definitely recommend just doing DIY and maybe plan on it during another season to help keep you busy if you can't find hogs. Hogs are like parasites. They destroy an area and move on, unless its super remote (in my experience). I have a piece of small public land that I hunt that had hogs. I'd see them every time I was out there, then they just moved. I shot one and never recovered, but they definitely were not pressured. This nomadic movement definitely makes em harder to stay on though!

As for the high fenced route, my hunting buddy got into a meat crisis so bad that he decided to go hunt a small high fence operation. I've never been a high fence guy, but he made me dislike it even more. He said the pigs were hunted so hard that they soo paranoid. He did get to do about 10 stalks within a day in a half, but it cost him $500 to shoot two pigs. This particular ranch was only around 240 acres though.

If you want to do a DIY, shoot me a PM and I'll help you out what I can.

Not sure how far South you want to go but Punisher Hunting LLC if you want to have some fun and hunt with dogs. Not my company/business but a friend of mine, haven't heard a bad thing about his operation.