Tell me about black mold

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I thought i could post this here and get some valid info. My place of work, black mold was found in large amounts in the ceilings/walls etc. I have worked there going on 15 years now.

Tell me about possible side effects or things i should be on the lookout for

I know a guy that got an early release from the military from a building he worked in with that problem. Asthma symptoms an seems to get chest colds easier. Time will tell I guess.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The guy who replaced my dad at his job when he retired was renovating a house a couple months later and got into some mold. It killed him, but I think he got a pretty good face full of it from pulling duct work. It's no laughing matter, be careful with that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mold in high numbers can cause all kinds of issues, as can the byproduct of it as it is broken down (highly toxic). If you have gastrointestinal issues, bloating, gas... it is likely attributable to your exposure. There are several different species of black mold, but as has been pointed out, exposure can be deadly, it can be the cause of cancer... Simply put, exposure to higher than the recommended exposure levels should not be taken lightly. Your employer should be opening up claims for all exposed employees; unfortunately they likely are no doing this.

LWC

FNG
It's everywhere. It's in the air all around you. It is not something new. With the right temps, moisture, food source, it can grow in very high numbers. Don't let all these responses scare you too much. It can be dangerous for the young and old and those with compromised immune systems. It a doesn't usually have a super negative affect on most people unless you are more allergic to it.

sveltri

WKR
If you haven’t already experienced symptoms you’re probably ok. Was the mold just black in color or was it actually toxic black mold?

this funny thing is a building can have black mold for twenty years and no one is impacted. then it is disclosed and every hypochondriac in the building will suddenly be afflicted with every kind of ailment ever associated with black mold.
I used to work for a company that re-mediated black mold in buildings and while it is nasty crap. I think a huge percentage of the people who have been effected by it are full of it.

dotman

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about it unless you messed around with it really releasing the spores, it is in the air naturally.

Grumman

WKR
I’ve read from professional house flippers they will seek out houses with mold. They claim they can get it for a cheaper price since most are scared of it and remediation is often easy. I’ve also read the EPA has no limits set for mold contamination levels, not sure if any other agencies do or not.