buffalo Gnats

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
every spring now it seems like we just get plastered by these little bastard gnats.. to the point i'd welcome skeeters instead. anyone ever had a problem with them or suggestions for a solution, i really want to be able to enjoy getting out to shoot at night again

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
They’re bad around me, and if I get ate up by too many of them it’ll mess me up.

About 10 years ago while turkey hunting I was getting destroyed by them. I got home that afternoon and could feel some small welps on my face. I took a nap, and woke up to my eyes swollen shut. 2 days later and a healthy dose of benedryl, I was back to normal.

The key to keeping them off in you is vanilla spray. They sell a product called Buggins around here, but I’ve also used some chick Vanilla perfume stuff. It works wonders at keeping them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Carmex and skin so soft help if they aren't just horrible but like above vanilla seems to work the best.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Absorbing Junior (spl?) is the only thing that works for me. Didn't believe my golfing buddies at first, but it works!

As Btaylor suggested , the Avon Skin So Soft works well. Here in La, the gnats are really bad. Avon SSS is the only thing we find that works worth a hoot.

cochran53

FNG
I've had pretty good luck dealing with them with a thermacell, but it's not as effective for me with gnats as Skin so soft or bug soother. You have to apply it regularly, but it seems to help quite a bit. It's also really easy to come by here in Iowa.

Nuke Man

WKR
Dettol is what we use. It works better than anything I have ever tried. It's an anti septic that you have to get off Amazon. I buy it by the gallon. I'll wipe a bit on my hat brim and on the adjustable strap on the back of my hat. Gnats won't come within 5 ft. I use it for my chickens too. I'll soak a rag and hang it in the coop. No gnats. It works and to me I'd rather smell like that than an off duty stripper soaked in vanilla.

Nuke Man

WKR
And 1 application will last all day! You can mix it with baby oil and use it as a spray too if you wanted.