Blind vs. Tree Stand hunting in Western States

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I have done a lot of spot and stalk and glassing but have never done a lot of tree stand or blind hunting. Want to change up my tactics this year and see what the dark side(stand and blind) hunting is like. Would you guys recommend a climber or a hang on stand for northern Ca and Idaho and if so what tree stands. or would you recommend a ground blind since it's a little quieter and faster to setup? Also what stands and blinds would you recommend and what are your experiences with one or the other. And do you guys think hang on or climbers are better for areas you aren't going to have a lot of time to scout. What are the pros and cons of climbers and hang on stands. Thanks

With the herd numbers in Ca, unless your hunting private land, you are exceptionally likely to need to move to within shooting distance. So if your going to go with anything, I'd choose the ground blind.

oldgoat

WKR
Ok, my experience with blinds and stands is from hunting in the river bottoms of Eastern Colorado. Think more like what you think Kansas is than what you think Colorado is. I much prefer treestand to blinds and have only had luck with blinds turkey hunting. For the mountains, I just cut some tree branches and make a blind. As far as treestands go, I've sat up in three different trees in one day in my climbing stand, never moved more than once in a whole season in my hang on. You need a good saw though to clear branches with a climber. I keep daydreaming about using a stand for hunting elk but it just hasn't happened yet, next time I draw my unit, I'm going to do it!

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
I have hang on models, and a climber, along with a Primos ground blind. You will have to saw off the limbs as you go up if any with a climber, think power pole. With a hang on, of course you have to have a way up, be it screw in steps, or strap on climbing steps. Of the two styles I prefer hang on models. I like the idea of being above the deer with more view, verses in the ground blind. One of the most important investments is a safety harness, do not go up without one.
You will generally be trying to hunt near trails to and from bedding,and feed areas, waterholes can pay off too. Generally you want to be in your stand a minimum of a 1/2 hr. before shootime, so everything has a chance to settle down after you make noise climbing up. Have a bow holder screwed into the tree to hold your bow, (presuming your bow hunting) with arrow knocked. It's a neat experience having deer underneath you, with no idea your there. I try and set my stands so I am in the shade/shadows of overhanging limbs, and often add small limbs to the base of my stand to help camo from below. Good luck, have fun.
Mike

I have both... the way modern hang-ons have gotten a lone wolf (or other aluminum stand) with climbing sticks is now (IMO) a more versatile option than a climber mostly because you can hang off any tree. With a climber you'll be hunting for the right tree, with a hangon you'll be hunting for an animal.

I've only ever hunted turkeys out of ground blinds and even then I prefer natural cover and the ability to move.