Oregon Anniversary Vacation This Weekend

TXCO

WKR
The wife and I are headed to Oregon for 6 days this weekend. It's our first trip to the Pacific North West. We're renting a car in Portland and will be making a big loop South. Any recommendations for hikes, breweries, towns, sights to see?

gwl79902

WKR
I am in Bend and there are a ton of homeless but other than that its great. 10 Barrel brewing, Deschutes Brewwing, and Bone Yard Brewing are all great. I think we have 32 in town. Hike Deschutes river trail in Bend or up river off FS 41. Lots of the trails off Cascade Lakes Hwy are open. If you are going coastal first loop up to Crater Lake and check it out. See if Dimond Lake Lodge is open, very nice area. Then hit Bend and then north to the Columbia and hit Hood river for wine and beer.

Oregon

WKR
Leave Portland the second you get off the plane. Head over to Bend. Hit the brew pubs.
Head south, hit crater lake and then head west to the coast. Hit Newport and Depoe Bay.
Head north to Pacific City and the Pelican Pub. Best view of any pub on the coast.
Head north to Astoria and hit the buoy and Ft George pubs.
Get back to Portland exactly 1.5 hours before flight.

Edit: might enjoy heading east out of Portland to see the gorge/Falls then heading south out of the Dalles to Bend.

TripleJ

WKR
Common theme...avoid Portland. The I-5 corridor as a whole is pretty lame until you get about 20 miles south of Eugene. Other than that, Oregon is pretty beautiful no matter which direction you head. If you like the coastline, it's hard to beat the views along the southern Oregon coast between Port Orford and Brookings. The Columbia River gorge is amazing...just maybe not quite as amazing as it was before it got torched last year. The whole Cascade range has views that are breathtaking. The drive along Hwy 97 is pretty cool, all the way from the Columbia to the California border. There are literally breweries everywhere you go. Microbrews are an art form around here. There are also tons of waterfalls on the west side of the state. If you are looking for hikes, that would be a good starting point.

OR Archer

WKR
If you land in Eugene there’s a few decent breweries. Ninkasi, Hop Valley and Elkhorn.
For hikes there’s quite a few trails along the McKenzie river heading towards Bend. Most popular is Blue Pool. Sahalie Falls is a nice little stop as well. If you’re a Cam Hanes fan you could always go hike Mt Pisgah followed by a stop at our shop The Bow Rack in Springfield.
Safe travels

snakelk

WKR
Leave Portland the second you get off the plane. Head over to Bend. Hit the brew pubs.
Head south, hit crater lake and then head west to the coast. Hit Newport and Depoe Bay.
Head north to Pacific City and the Pelican Pub. Best view of any pub on the coast.
Head north to Astoria and hit the buoy and Ft George pubs.
Get back to Portland exactly 1.5 hours before flight.

Edit: might enjoy heading east out of Portland to see the gorge/Falls then heading south out of the Dalles to Bend.

Good advice here. I'd recommend taking highway 26 east and then a 6 mile detour to Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood along the way. Take in the mountain view and maybe hike the Timberline trail or part way to the summit for even better views on a clear day. Since Cascade Lakes Highway won't be fully open, taking highway 97 south toward Crater Lake, you might take a side trip up to Newberry Crater and Paulina/East Lakes. Definitely hit Pacific City and the Pelican Pub and then Astoria. Like Oregon mentioned, heading east on 84 to see the gorge/Falls is a great option, and then you could head south from Hood River and still hit Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood before continuing to central OR.

Enjoy your trip!

Oregon

WKR
The wife and I are headed to Oregon for 6 days this weekend. It's our first trip to the Pacific North West. We're renting a car in Portland and will be making a big loop South. Any recommendations for hikes, breweries, towns, sights to see?

How was your trip out this way? You find a new favorite beer?

netman

WKR
I asked this same question over on Hunttalk. I just left Portland this morning. We went downtown to the Adler St Food Carts for a late lunch. There are about 40-50 food carts in that pod. Fantastic food.
We stayed at the Laquainta hotel near the airport. The staff there was very helpful. We rode the city train from the hotel to downtown. We walked all over the downtown area.
Yes there were some really rough characters on the train. We seen two crack heads fist fighting right by the train doors while they were open. All part of the adventure.
We had only a day there and we were scouting Portland and area out for a future trip there.
Lots to see and do outside the city as mentioned above.
We are looking forward to a return trip.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
How was your trip out this way? You find a new favorite beer?

We had an awesome trip. It was a beautiful state and everyone was very friendly. I feel like we just scratched the surface. I think my plan is to go back for some duck hunting in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon

WKR
We had an awesome trip. It was a beautiful state and everyone was very friendly. I feel like we just scratched the surface. I think my plan is to go back for some duck hunting in the fall.

We have no ducks in Oregon. I duck hunted 64 days last year. Shot 4 bufflehead and merganser.

OR Archer

WKR
Did you happen to stop by The Bow Rack on Friday? Had a couple of guys from Texas stop in then. Wondering if it might have been you.

WRO

WKR
We have no ducks in Oregon. I duck hunted 64 days last year. Shot 4 bufflehead and merganser.
He's correct, also don't hunt the lower Columbia or upperColumbia, or summer lake as there are also no ducks there either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk