Misinformation perpetuated on internet forums

Mike7

WKR
I thought that it might be interesting to get some views from various "experts" in their field (i.e. anyone who actually has a lot of experience and/or knowledge about a particular topic) about information that they see perpetuated on internet forums which seems to be marginal at best or outright inaccurate, and so becomes a pet peeve for them.

New people are constantly getting on this forum and asking questions about packs, shelters, long range shooting, etc. One thing nice about Rokslide, is that there seems to be far fewer people talking out of their &ss compared to the usual internet forum, but often the same seemingly wrong advice is given to new Roksliders over and over again.

Since I don't know enough about National Monuments, BHA, Backpack Design, Proper Bow Setup, Nonresident Tag Allotments, Long Range Shooting, Broadheads, Religion, or Kuiu, I will start with two of my pet peeves which I do know a little about.

OP
M

Mike7

WKR
#1) That every solo hunter needs to have a 3+ lb medical kit when going to the field for non-combat related recreational activities which require packing things on your back. It doesn't matter how many statistics or how much medical information gets presented, this seems to always come up. And contrary to popular belief, having less medical knowledge probably means that you should bring less, not more medical items to the field that you don't know how to use anyway.

#2) That floorless shelters are limited due to requiring special "proper site selection" that tents don't require. When every new person asks about shelter recommendations, there is always one or more guys cautioning someone about getting a floorless shelter due specifically to this issue alone. I just don't understand this at all. Not including my experience with floorless shelters which is exactly the opposite of this, it makes zero sense logically how breaking a tent into its various parts to make a floorless shelter somehow makes it less of a shelter when you reassemble those parts just the way you want them back into a shelter.

Ah, that feels good getting that off of my chest.

I hope to learn something from this thread, but if it only becomes humorous and also therapeutic for the posters, then I think it will have been worth it.

rayporter

WKR
laffin
I hear ya loud and clear.
there is a thread going now with a bunch of bull

why people repeat some stuff they no nothing about is beyond me.

La de die, la de die de da da da da die, some people believe what they want to believe and disregard the rest...

I was laying in a floorless shelter the night before last in complete comfort wondering something I’ve often thought about. Why do people count ounces, but never consider leaving the sleeping pad at home. I alway thought this was something I would need as I got older, but I’m 40 now and still have no issues sleeping on the ground. Maybe it makes a difference when it’s really cold? I’ve had plenty of long cold nights in my sleeping bag, where maybe it would have helped? I’m not saying recommending a sleeping pad is bad advice, or illegitimate to use. I’ve just always have been a little confused about the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was laying in a floorless shelter the night before last in complete comfort wondering something I’ve often thought about. Why do people count ounces, but never consider leaving the sleeping pad at home. I alway thought this was something I would need as I got older, but I’m 40 now and still have no issues sleeping on the ground. Maybe it makes a difference when it’s really cold? I’ve had plenty of long cold nights in my sleeping bag, where maybe it would have helped? I’m not saying recommending a sleeping pad is bad advice, or illegitimate to use. I’ve just always have been a little confused about the subject.

Well, now your totally derailing the thread, as now you've given us something truly important to ponder.

Beendare

WKR
Bleach for poison oak still pops up. Nothing like putting a poisonous chemical on your skin when water and a mild soap does a better job.

“ Which BH will shoot with my FP’s?” All of them if you tune your bow and learn how to shoot.

“Its my first hunt, where can i go to kill big bull elk?” Then “What -spray/deodorant/scent/scent block clothing/ UV spray can i use to mask my scent so I dont have to learn how to actually hunt?”

WKR

No. Just no.

Jbehredt

WKR
Bleach for poison oak still pops up. Nothing like putting a poisonous chemical on your skin when water and a mild soap does a better job.

“ Which BH will shoot with my FP’s?” All of them if you tune your bow and learn how to shoot.

“Its my first hunt, where can i go to kill big bull elk?” Then “What -spray/deodorant/scent/scent block clothing/ UV spray can i use to mask my scent so I dont have to learn how to actually hunt?”

“Not looking for anybody’s honey hole, just a GMU and a couple trailheads to investigate”

Randle

WKR
Maybe I missed something. I thought the OP was commenting about the bad info given by people , instead of posts that are started by newbs that are repetitive.
As for the sleeping pad post . I used to be able to sleep anywhere . Anytime. Now the old joints need some padding .I am a side sleeper so the hips don't like rock hard ground. I guess it's like packs , boots and etc most of it is personal preference. Unfortunately you have to try it before you trust it.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
"X clothing or boot or shelter is bombproof so that's what you need"

I know every single one of us is a super badass Teddy roosevelt reincarnation that hikes so far into the backcountry that it will require an expedition to retrieve our bodies if things go south, but the reality is 99% of guys don't need that tough of gear and much cheaper gear would be sufficient.

"X pack is the best at hauling heavy loads."

Maybe for you but not for others as body types are different and there are a few really good pack companies on the market.

"The quality of X is unmatched"

Its unlikely that some people have the knowledge to truly understand what makes quality and what should have been tossed in the seconds pile by quality control.

"Buy once, cry once" (about glass)

A LOT of guys would be just as well served with Vortex Diamondbacks, possibly for the rest of their lives.

Live2hunt custom shelters

OP
M

Mike7

WKR
Maybe I missed something. I thought the OP was commenting about the bad info given by people , instead of posts that are started by newbs that are repetitive.
As for the sleeping pad post . I used to be able to sleep anywhere . Anytime. Now the old joints need some padding .I am a side sleeper so the hips don't like rock hard ground. I guess it's like packs , boots and etc most of it is personal preference. Unfortunately you have to try it before you trust it.

Correct, what bad information gets repeated time and again to guys asking for advice.

I agree also, that sleeping without a good pad, especially on your side, just gets worse the further out from 30 you get.

SWOHTR

WKR
“You can run a half marathon or longer without taping your nipples.”

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
#1) That every solo hunter needs to have a 3+ lb medical kit when going to the field for non-combat related recreational activities

So....is my 10lb solo medical kit enough? 5lbs of it is quick clot.

Randle

WKR
" The only knife I carry is a -----. Only weighs ---- ozs. . You may get away with that in Colorado
Where you can fart and start a fire. But in the PNW. I would not be without a real chore / wood processing knife . You would break every blade you have and not get to dry wood if hunting past Oct up here. Carry what you want but don't tell someone to ditch the real knife to save weigh.