Misinformation perpetuated on internet forums

I don’t know if this is misinformation per se, but I’m in the propane business. Never exchange your cylinders if you don’t have to. Get them refilled...you get more propane for less money.

In general the advice and opinions which I routinely discard have some of these common features:

Not enough qualifiers like "for me" or "my experiences have been" or "another thought on the matter".

Too many declaratives and assertions of how things are...should be done...what's right or wrong...etc.

A dose of braggadocio or ego.

A not-so-subtle need to be acknowledged by others for one's opinion or expertise.

Liberal use of negative terms like dumb, stupid, ignorant and clueless which are a giveaway to the poster's real mentality.

And my favorite? The guy who somehow manages to have an opinion of everything but contributes remarkably little practical knowledge to a thread seeking information.

danarnold

WKR
Many applications.....

c5188c42756b33261e32950e27e4a460.jpg

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
The idea that it’s essential to buy technical clothing/outer wear. A guy from my church is giving bow hunting a try for the first time this year, and with it, the expense of all the gear that comes with such an adventure. He was under the impression that buying a complete Kuiu setup was imperative to his success, and was daunted about how he was going to afford everything he needed. I assured him that while quality clothing is nice, more comfortable, and often more durable, it’s certainly not a deal breaker. Walmart and the army surplus store outfitted me for a couple successful decades before I discovered this forum and learned of my ignorance! My wife says I spend more on clothes than her now, she wishes I hadn’t! Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I don’t know if this is misinformation per se, but I’m in the propane business. Never exchange your cylinders if you don’t have to. Get them refilled...you get more propane for less money.

truth! i'm guilty of going the easy route; getting the cute hardware girl to unlock the cage to grab a new bottle.

but in reality. exchange = $23, refill = $14. this is in my area..some of you all get inexpensive propane!!

Btaylor

WKR
Not going to claim this as bad advice but I find it peculiar how many people say they pee around their camp in bear country supposedly to smell up the area. It is common practice in whitetail country to pee in scrapes or make mock scrapes and pee in them to attract bucks to take over a scrape. If urine truly is sterile when it leaves the body how exactly is that supposed to deter a bear?

VernAK

WKR
The idea that it’s essential to buy technical clothing/outer wear. A guy from my church is giving bow hunting a try for the first time this year, and with it, the expense of all the gear that comes with such an adventure. He was under the impression that buying a complete Kuiu setup was imperative to his success, and was daunted about how he was going to afford everything he needed. I assured him that while quality clothing is nice, more comfortable, and often more durable, it’s certainly not a deal breaker. Walmart and the army surplus store outfitted me for a couple successful decades before I discovered this forum and learned of my ignorance! My wife says I spend more on clothes than her now, she wishes I hadn’t! Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta agree with Jared as this hunting clothing issue has really gone wild!

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Bleach for poison oak still pops up. Nothing like putting a poisonous chemical on your skin when water and a mild soap does a better job.

QUOTE]

Or nail polish for chigger bites. Thinking that the parasitic little bugger is still there sucking on your blood. When it starts to itch, the chigger is long gone looking for the next meal.

My main pet peeve is people’s arrogance that history doesn’t apply to them. I also hate it when people talk about things as if they are an authority on them. When reality says they are lying or simply ignorant to what they propose. Nothing wrong with being wrong, admitting it and moving on. Big problems occur when people are too proud to admit that.

I am a forester that has years in the government, private, and self employed sector. Land issues are my thing. God Bless men

Takem

WKR
I consistently see posts stating tha ducks don't taste good. With all the information out there now it surprises me people haven't figured out how to cook them.

Poser

WKR
I consistently see posts stating tha ducks don't taste good. With all the information out there now it surprises me people haven't figured out how to cook them.

Average Duck hunter mentality: “ducks don’t taste good but if I don’t I don’t kill 1,000 of them in a season than I’m going to spend the next 10 months complaining about the shortage of ducks that don’t taste good.”

3forks

WKR
I don't mean this to be a slight to anyone from the East or Midwest (I'm certain quite a few members from those regions know what they're talking about) however, just because you've been on a couple of western trips doesn't mean you're an authority on the area or region you hunted.

Case in point, raingear. I know Colorado isn't as wet as other regions, but I'm always surprised at the number of people who advise not bringing raingear on a hunt because they hunted a particular area a couple of times and any storms they encountered passed quickly.

Jbehredt

WKR
I don't mean this to be a slight to anyone from the East or Midwest (I'm certain quite a few members from those regions know what they're talking about) however, just because you've been on a couple of western trips doesn't mean you're an authority on the area or region you hunted.

Case in point, raingear. I know Colorado isn't as wet as other regions, but I'm always surprised at the number of people who advise not bringing raingear on a hunt because they hunted a particular area a couple of times and any storms they encountered passed quickly.

Yep. 2013 it started raining Sept 9 and didn’t stop until after I got home.

bsnedeker

WKR

I'm laughing right now...I went to CO for the first time last year and left my raingear in the truck based on this EXACT advice...I learned a VERY valuable lesson!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
That tenure and post count correlate directly to said members experience, knowledge or success.

I'm actually not referring to Rokslide, although sometimes I do scratch my head at what I'm reading.

danarnold

WKR

I’m joking but is it possible that people you’re referring to stay @ three Forks ranch?

Edited @

Last edited: