Tall guys hiking pants

Jaker_cc

WKR
For the life of me I can't find any hiking pants that are long enough for me. I've tried most of the brands that I know of and they just won't work. If any of you tall guys have a solution to my problem I'd appreciate it.

I wear 34x36 in regular pants, but all the hiking pants I find look like I'm expecting high water.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A few years ago I picked up a pair of Columbia Convertible pants (they zip off above the knees for shorts), and they run at about a 37" inseam. I'm not sure if they are nylon or poly but they work pretty well for hiking pants. I'm normally a 37-38" inseam.

Google those Columbia's, they may still make them. And they turn into shorts when that's fitting as well.

I'm not sure if you're just looking for general purpose hikers or if you're in need of something hunting specific but I've had nothing but great experiences with 5.11's "tall" pant in my respective waist size.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For the life of me I can't find any hiking pants that are long enough for me. I've tried most of the brands that I know of and they just won't work. If any of you tall guys have a solution to my problem I'd appreciate it.

I wear 34x36 in regular pants, but all the hiking pants I find look like I'm expecting high water.

Look in to Sitka timberline or mountain pants or the new TTW. All the pants will have a regular size and a Tall size. The I personally wear a tall and they fit great.

Eddie Bauer Guide pants come in a tall. 35" inseam. They are constantly having 40% off sales so don't pay full price unless you can't wait a few weeks.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Prana Zion has talls that have worked for me, but only in 2 colors as I recall. Also the First Lite Corrugate Talls. There is some hem to let out of the Corrugates as well. Eddie Bauer Talls weren't enough for me. I'm also at 35.5/36" inseam.

I'm not sure if you're just looking for general purpose hikers or if you're in need of something hunting specific but I've had nothing but great experiences with 5.11's "tall" pant in my respective waist size.

I’ve got 36-38” inseam and 5.11’s are always disappointingly short as compared to other 36” inseam pants. They’re more like a 34” inseam. Occasionally they will offer an un-hemmed version but it’s seldom the pants I want/would actually wear.

I will say my tall co-worker (6’9”) just bought a new pit of 5.11’s he loves and they are pretty decent length for him but he also has a much larger wait size than me :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this topic. I’m tall with 37-38” inseam and finding hunting/hiking/everyday pants is a constant never ending/frustrating search.

I’ve found that Carhartt actually has some great pants in 36” inseam that work great.

As far as hunting pants it’s a real struggle. I use Kryptek right now as they offer a “tall” pant size but it’s still only a 35” inseam. I’ve tried all other hunting brands with the exception to the First Light stuff.

I’ve used True Spec military BDU’s in multi cam for years as they have truly “tall” pants but unfortunate they’re a pretty heavy cotton.

I’m going to check out the Columbia pants another user recommended!!

ethan

WKR
I’m 6’1” so not really extra tall, but I absolutely hate pants that are just “a little to short”! I’ve started wearing prank Zion’s for daily wear and order them off of amazon. The 36 x 34’s fit pretty well in length but are a little big in the waist, it it’s a trade I’m willing to make. For hunting I run Sitka and the 36T’s fit perfectly.

Jd259

WKR
I’m a tall guy wear 33x38” pants normally and the only pants I found that fit good are the first lite kanabs there plenty long and super comfortable I wear large tall

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is the size chart on the Game Gear website for their camo hunting pants. I am intrigued enough to order a pair to try. I've never seen inseams like that anywhere.......36.5" for an Xsmall????? We'll see. I'll call them first.

MenXSSMMDLGXL2X3X
Chest30-32"34-36"38-40"42-44"46-48"50-52"54-56"
Waist22-24"26-28"30-32"34-36"38-40"42-44"46-48"
Inseam36.5"37"38"38"38"38.5"39"

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It used to be fairly easy to just order based on waist and inseam size. But in the last 5 years there has been a shift in men's pant manufacturing, and if you were to lay today's 34x36's on top of 5+ year's ago 34x36's, today's will be quite a bit shorter.

The rise (measurement from top of pants to the crotch) on my old hunting pants is 12" and they have a true 38" inseam from crotch to the bottom of the pant legs for overall measurement of 50". Heck, even my shorts, dress pants, and other pants have a 12" rise.

But every newer pant I've tried in the last 5 years has had a 9-10" rise, and even with a true 36" inseam, those pants are 4-5" shorter than what I really need. That doesn't help at all. If they had the regular 12" rise they'd at least be close, but shortening the rise doesn't help Talls at all.

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Glad to see it's not just me struggling. And in the grand scheme of things, I'll take being tall and all the problems that come with it

It used to be fairly easy to just order based on waist and inseam size. But in the last 5 years there has been a shift in men's pant manufacturing, and if you were to lay today's 34x36's on top of 5+ year's ago 34x36's, today's will be quite a bit shorter.

The rise (measurement from top of pants to the crotch) on my old hunting pants is 12" and they have a true 38" inseam from crotch to the bottom of the pant legs for overall measurement of 50". Heck, even my shorts, dress pants, and other pants have a 12" rise.

But every newer pant I've tried in the last 5 years has had a 9-10" rise, and even with a true 36" inseam, those pants are 4-5" shorter than what I really need. That doesn't help at all. If they had the regular 12" rise they'd at least be close, but shortening the rise doesn't help Talls at all.

This is exactly what I’ve found and has been my frustration as well.

There sure is some great suggestions on here! It’s be nice to find some affordable “tall” pants!!

BluMtn

WKR
I wore 36" inseams in JrHi. I wear 33 or 34" waist and 38 or 40" inseams. So every hunting pant I own looks like I am ready for spring floods.