Your perfect outdoor 3D arrow

Rogue541

WKR
Describe your perfect outdoor (Mountain challenge) type arrow. Spine, weight, tip weight etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Though i have not shot 3D yet, i do practice shooting at 3D targets and have considered entering some events. To me it seems logical to use the idental same arrows you use to hunt so your skills are enhanced. Having special arrows for 3D that differ from your hunting arrows doesn't sound logical to me. Am I wrong?

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Yeah I think that the majority will probably shoot their regular hunting arrows with their hunting rig. I have a single pin with 2 different dials that I can setup for 2 arrow weights. I could just shoot my 460 grain hunting arrows but I do have some lighter (350’ish) grain arrows as well. I like the idea of getting a little more speed out of the lighter arrows for the shoot. It’s my first 3D shoot so I’m not sure what to expect.

The PERFECT 3D setup would often times be much different than what you'd ideally hunt with, IF you want to be competitive. If that is of no concern, shoot your hunting setup.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
The PERFECT 3D setup would often times be much different than what you'd ideally hunt with, IF you want to be competitive. If that is of no concern, shoot your hunting setup.

That makes sense. I’m leaning towards dialing in the lighter arrows. Just weighed them @ 322 grains. Coming out of a prime Centergy hybrid 65 lbs.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
I would venture to say if I wanted to be competitive in 3-D I’d go fat shaft.

If I wanted some reps on foam for hunting, I’d use my hunting rig.

Hold the phone...explain this to me. I have been under the belief that 3D was more of a training exercise to help the hunter learn to guesstimate distances w/o the aid of a rangefinder so you are better prepared for those sudden snapshot opportunities that occur in the field. It sounds like you're saying "some people" are just out for the win...not to build these skills, is that right? Are these indoor competition shooters with massive stabs shooting Rhineharts outside? I just wanna understand what I might be walking into if I enter a 3D competition. Second question, how many arrows do you take on a 3D comp? Is five enough or are lost arrows a commonality?

Brendan

WKR
You got it. Some people treat it as practice with their hunting setup, some people treat it as a competition they're trying to win and choose equipment accordingly. There are "Bowhunter" classes (Bowhunter Freestyle?) and "Open" classes.

Some examples - long stabilizers, single pin adjustable sights, lighter / faster arrow because you're not interested in penetration, etc. But, equipment choices are a little different than indoor, because you do have to deal with range estimation and wind. But, some of the setups can be just as "radical".

How many arrows depends on the difficulty of the course. If it's a mountain course / total archery challenge event where you might be sending it at really long ranges - bring more than you think you need ;)

OP - Spine wouldn't change, tip weight wouldn't change for me. I would choose a micro diameter arrow for a true "mountain" course because of the potential for wind. Because you don't need as much stabilization, you could use lower profile vanes, straight instead of a helical for less drag.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
You got it. Some people treat it as practice with their hunting setup, some people treat it as a competition they're trying to win and choose equipment accordingly. There are "Bowhunter" classes (Bowhunter Freestyle?) and "Open" classes.

Some examples - long stabilizers, single pin adjustable sights, lighter / faster arrow because you're not interested in penetration, etc. But, equipment choices are a little different than indoor, because you do have to deal with range estimation and wind. But, some of the setups can be just as "radical".

How many arrows depends on the difficulty of the course. If it's a mountain course / total archery challenge event where you might be sending it at really long ranges - bring more than you think you need ;)

OP - Spine wouldn't change, tip weight wouldn't change for me. I would choose a micro diameter arrow for a true "mountain" course because of the potential for wind. Because you don't need as much stabilization, you could use lower profile vanes, straight instead of a helical, and you could go lighter GPI as well to get more speed.

Couldn’t have answered that question better, thanks! I have my short ATA hunting 5 pin bow setup for hunting but I also have a 35” ata single pin (backup) bow that’ll be used for 3D and target type stuff. It’s a bit too late to grab micro OD arrows but next year I’ll find a good 4mm or 5mm arrow to take up there and I like your thoughts about a low profile vane. Appreciate your input!!

Beendare

WKR
Some 3D events have a speed limit....some don't.

All have equipment classes....so a stick bow guy isn't shooting in the same class as a compound with a slider.

I think Nick said it, a fast, light, large diameter shaft with minimum fletch if you are trying to be competitive...otherwise just shoot your hunting gear.

Just go, its fun.....of the hundreds of 3D shoots I've done in the last 3 decades about 1/2 the guys are just there with their hunting gear practicing....unless its a Nationally ranked tourney...then you see a lot more target setups. The local shoot our club puts on every week is mostly guys shooting their hunting gear.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hold the phone...explain this to me. I have been under the belief that 3D was more of a training exercise to help the hunter learn to guesstimate distances w/o the aid of a rangefinder so you are better prepared for those sudden snapshot opportunities that occur in the field.

It depends. With different classes you'll have guys there with full-on target rigs and 3 foot stabilizers with back-bars and the works. Most of the guys in Bowhunter Class shoot their normal hunting setup for the most part. But you can't have moveable sights in most Bowhunter Classes, and stabilizers have to be 12" and under.

I usually take it a step further and shoot with my pack on, full quiver of arrows on the bow, and I wear my jersey hunting gloves (even in the heat). But make no mistake about it........even though I shoot my hunting setup with full hunting gear and my 532gr arrows.......I'm there to compete!

Beendare

WKR
I usually take it a step further and shoot with my pack on, full quiver of arrows on the bow, and I wear my jersey hunting gloves (even in the heat). But make no mistake about it........even though I shoot my hunting setup with full hunting gear and my 532gr arrows.......I'm there to compete!

You forgot to mention your camelback full of coffee...and one hand tied behind your back....just to make it fair to the other guys./grin

Just remind me to stand 4' away if you are shooting that PSE 'Exploder'......or whatever they call it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You forgot to mention your camelback full of coffee...and one hand tied behind your back....just to make it fair to the other guys./grin

Actually I have done that in the past, except it wasn't in my Camelbak........just a thermos. I mean you gotta have coffee. But I'll still shoot with both hands. I do load up 3L of water, as well as a couple bottles of water with WA H&R in them too. Try to get the pack close to day pack hunting weight.