If you were moving west, where would it be?

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I know Idaho is closed off.... I got that memo!

Considering the hunting/fishing, employment, and cost of living, where are some places that would entertain a Plains state guy moving west?

I'm toying with the idea of moving this next spring. I'm 31, single with no children, and will be debt free by then. I've done Auto Dealership parts for 11 years, but wouldn't be dependent on that for employment. Anyway, I don't want to go all the way to the coast, but would consider anywhere between Oklahoma and Nevada. Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado seem to come to mind. I've read that big city Colorado can be a very hectic place to live. I currently live in a rural area, but not western "rural". Its a 5 mile drive to the gas station and 15 miles to the closest grocery store.

I realize that I probably haven't experience a "real" winter from living in Oklahoma and Kansas, so I know that would be a shocker for me.

I understand this isn't something I expect details on. I just would like your guys' take on it, positive or negative ideas. Hit me, encourage me, but just don't rake me over the coals!

Last edited:

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I know Idaho is closed off.... I got that memo!

Considering the hunting/fishing, employment, and cost of living, where are some places that would entertain a Plains state guy moving west?

I'm toying with the idea of moving this next spring. I'm 31, single with no children, and will be debt free by then. I've done Auto Dealership parts for 11 years, but wouldn't be dependent on that for employment. Anyway, I don't want to go all the way to the coast, but would consider anywhere between Oklahoma and Nevada. Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado seem to come to mind. I've read that big city Colorado can be a very hectic place to live. I currently live in a rural area, but not western "rural". Its a 5 mile drive to the gas station and 15 miles to the closest grocery store.

I realize that I probably haven't experience a "real" winter from living in Oklahoma and Kansas, so I know that would be a shocker for me.

I understand this isn't something I expect details on. I just would like your guys' take on it, positive or negative ideas. Hit me, encourage me, but just don't rake me over the coals!

If I were single with no kids I would move some place I could afford to live, buy a small parcel of land that is surrounded by public land, and live the life. I would look for the state that has the best hunting and fishing and issues the most "free" tags with the purchase of a hunting license.

Yeah, ND is great. You might even get a deer tag every 5 years!

MT, WY, or ID for me.

WRO

WKR
Cody Wyoming, Missoula Montana, soldotna ak..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
Being married with kids, I feel like I have some authority here. Move into a house in the "middle" of the west big enough for a family. Say, Wyoming or MT. Then, when you meet your wife, you're already set on location where you have a guaranteed tag every year with points built around you. Set a PRECEDENT!!!! HUNTING IS LIFE!!!! WE EAT WILD GAME!!!! and don't check in while you're gone. Trust me, checking in while you're dating is like saying hunting is negotiable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
Being married with kids, I feel like I have some authority here. Move into a house in the "middle" of the west big enough for a family. Say, Wyoming or MT. Then, when you meet your wife, you're already set on location where you have a guaranteed tag every year with points built around you. Set a PRECEDENT!!!! HUNTING IS LIFE!!!! WE EAT WILD GAME!!!! and don't check in while you're gone. Trust me, checking in while you're dating is like saying hunting is negotiable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Or he can just stay single and not have to worry about the other stuff. Haha.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
For hunting ? I’d go Montana and the Milk River area. Elk, whitetail and mulies all in the area. Great variety of hunting for a young man.

But for making money ? Not so sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
Look at the states that you get a benefit from buying a lifetime license.

I believe it is AZ and ID. Someone on here will know better but if you move to AZ for a year you can buy a lifetime license and be in the resident pool of applicants. I think ID has something similar.

Since it sounds like a coastal state is not in the consideration, I’d look very closely at ID or WY. If you also like to fish, trap, or anything else outdoor related, be sure and include that in your criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve lived in Kansas and Colorado now I live in the Springs..... certainly don’t settle here the city is nuts like the hell with this place mountains are awesome but from t range can get crowded.....southwest Colorado I believe would be great lot less ppl there and you can elk OTC every year.... if I had a choice I’d go to south east Alaska in those crazy island mountain rainforests.... I’m from Pennsylvania originally tho so places that rain a lot have a special place in my heart