Another grizzly attack in Montana...

HookUp

WKR
The lower 48 grizz have learned humans mean no harm and gun shots are a dinner bell. We really need some hunting pressure on them to back them off.

Don't read the comments in that link if you like having hope for humanity.

Scary deal, glad she is recovering!

You can tell these people questioning her actions don’t spend any time outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not far from my home here in NW Montana, what we need a controlled hunt, which Wyoming & Idaho did with the Yellowstone Grizzly. There are more than enough grizzlies in NW Montana to implement a controlled hunt. Yes the comments in link were terrible. I work at the KRMC Hospital and this young gal was in bad shape. God bless her for being so brave.

NDGuy

WKR
You can tell these people questioning her actions don’t spend any time outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were right, I should've listened.

Live2hunt custom shelters

I'd love to meet the type of person to comment that they would "take a bite of that sweet meat". Lol what a weirdo who says things like that?

The comments are as about as ignorant as ignorant gets. Sad. Glad she made it out alive and I hope she makes a full recovery

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I recently read American Serengeti by Dan Flores. He relayed a story pulled from a journal regarding a grizzly attack where the victim said he knew he was dead because he heard his skull break. He seemed coherent and in a decent mood so the other guys in his party thought he would be fine. The next day he started acting disoriented and his brain started oozing out of a hole in his temple.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
It would be interesting and important to know if this was a problem bear transplanted there from Yellowstone? I wonder also why that particular area was chosen for their research?

It would be interesting and important to know if this was a problem bear transplanted there from Yellowstone? I wonder also why that particular area was chosen for their research?

I don't have the answers but I imagine there is ongoing research with every existing griz population group in the lower 48.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Bears in this grizzly bear area (Cabinet-Yaak) not transplanted from Yellowstone but are occasionally moved from the Glacier Park/Flathead River Drainages. I'm pretty sure they don't relocate problem bears into this population as they want to minimize negative interactions with people. The research the US Fish and Wildlife Service is conducting has to do with monitoring population numbers and trends in the area. It is a designated recovery zone.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I just listened to Newberg's podcast with Todd Orr on his Grizzly attack. When you have the time, give it a listen. Absolutely terrifying ordeal he went through a couple years ago. Bad luck is the worst kind.

SoDaky

WKR
Bears in this grizzly bear area (Cabinet-Yaak) not transplanted from Yellowstone but are occasionally moved from the Glacier Park/Flathead River Drainages. I'm pretty sure they don't relocate problem bears into this population as they want to minimize negative interactions with people. The research the US Fish and Wildlife Service is conducting has to do with monitoring population numbers and trends in the area. It is a designated recovery zone.

Historically not always true.
Billy Hill Vs. "the Bear", The Grizzly Bear (part 2) - YouTube

slick

WKR
Had a friend work this very project a couple summers ago.. Cabinet/Yaak bears have been studied for awhile. Hope she makes a full recovery, that’s one tough young woman.

Find the comments that “we need a hunting season- we’ll put the fear back into them” just as bright as the ones on the comment section of the article. The ones that get the fear put back into them are dead and therefore don’t have a learned behavior to avoid humans. Bears are bears and will do bear things, hunting season or not.

slick

WKR
Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
The specific area that I was referring to is the Cabinet Mtn region in the north east corner of Idaho and just within the past 5-10 years. I have no first hand knowledge, so who knows if it is even true, but instead I have heard 2nd and 3rd hand info from Fed types about problem bears being moved into that area of Idaho, apparently specifically because there aren't many people there?

If this is true, you would think that the prudent thing to do would be to warn the public about this. What would be the harm, except possibly drawing attention to a program that the public disagrees with? But having worked for the Federal gov't before, it would not surprise me at all for this to be occuring and for the authorities to be saying nothing.

Apparently several years ago, some orphaned grizzly cubs (yearlings?) were released into the Coeur d'Alenes, and I didn't see that publicized at all either. Someone that I personally know and respect though, sighted those bears once during the first year after their apparent release....not sure if those bears ever made it though.

SoDaky

WKR
Slick I disagree.First with your idea a bear hunting season would have no affect on behavior.
However as to the Billy Hill incident I can assure you BOTH the Federal and State agencies were involved-particularly in the investigation.I was there.I was actually in the jail when they were holding Bill and the 2 N York bowhunters.
I have no idea why it was trapped and relocated but it was injured in the process.Why relocate in a collaring study?
Please explain what Bill said that is a lie.Be specific not general BS.