DIY New Zealand Questions

btribby

FNG
Hey Everyone!

I have been reading rokslide forums for awhile. There is some great info regarding DIY NZ tahr and chamois hunts. I have a couple of questions for anybody who has done this type of hunt.

1. Do you think its doable/safe to do this type of hunt solo? I have done several backpack hunts in the mountains of Wyoming and Montana.

2. What airlines would you recommend booking through. I will fly from LAX to Christchurch. Any countries that you would not fly through? It sounds like Australia is no go.

Thanks for reading. Any information would be much appreciated.

Kiwi

FNG
1. I hunt solo for tahr and chamois, and its doable and safe. But its not the same if you aren't experience with NZ conditions. Its doable without NZ experience, but safety is the real question and this is impossible to judge for someone else. The best bet is to do a hunt swap with a kiwi, they'll have the spots to take you and make it safer. I've done this a few times (including WY twice) and it has been great.

2. LAX - CHCH direct flight. Or via Auckland if needed. Air New Zealand is a great airline but they usually only have one bag for international flights.

Good luck with your planning. Hope you make the trip.

Kiwi

FNG
If anyone wants to discuss a hunt swap get in touch. I rifle & bow hunt deer, tahr and chamois all year. I am open to any western adventures but very interested in hunting Oregon (I have two point) and lion hunting anywhere.

WRO

WKR
If anyone wants to discuss a hunt swap get in touch. I rifle & bow hunt deer, tahr and chamois all year. I am open to any western adventures but very interested in hunting Oregon (I have two point) and lion hunting anywhere.
I live in oregon, interested in a rifle bull hunt? It'll take you 2 more years to draw it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
Hey Everyone!

I have been reading rokslide forums for awhile. There is some great info regarding DIY NZ tahr and chamois hunts. I have a couple of questions for anybody who has done this type of hunt.

1. Do you think its doable/safe to do this type of hunt solo? I have done several backpack hunts in the mountains of Wyoming and Montana.

2. What airlines would you recommend booking through. I will fly from LAX to Christchurch. Any countries that you would not fly through? It sounds like Australia is no go.

1)I would not recommend solo here(not for your first trip), and I would strongly recommend going with an experienced kiwi(guide or not) if you can.
And I would start on the east coast. Our weather is very unpredictable and mountains are rough.
Unless you have hunted Mt Goats/Sheep alot in Alaska/BC I would go with some one with good mountain experience.
I would say its pretty different to most 'mountain hunting' in the lower 48.
This is the impression I have gathered from the people I have guided from all across the US.

2)Air NZ is one of the best airlines to fly with, Australia is a bitch to transit with rifles. There are alot of direct flights from US to either Auckland or ChCh

OP
B

btribby

FNG
Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I will be PMing some of you. Thanks again.

Solo is no big deal. A forum member went as a South Dakotan as a 6 month solo mission

There isn't a direct flight from lax to Christchurch. Anywhere mainland USA actually.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Yup! 5 months running around the south island solo bowhunting. Feel free to pm me. I’d be more than happy to help you out.

DavePwns

WKR
What's the general cost of a week long solo hunt to NZ with flights, licenses, tags, and bringing your meat / mount home?

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from Australia and did a two week DIY trip there and 2 weeks was barely enough. You could do it solo, but I recommend putting in some serious planning on the location and conditions first.

One of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I made a fairly extensive post on the trip somewhere here...

With a 2 weekends type of trip (9 days) from the states you'd be lucky to spend 4 good days in the bush..

Btw not sure where guys are getting direct flights to the South Island from mainland USA. Doesn't exist.

Hey Everyone!

Another Kiwi chiming in. Flights from LAX to Auckland and just grab a regional to Christchurch.
Weather turns quick in NZ. Been in 30deg Celsius at 9 am and by 11am its snowing. You can make it as hard as you want and as easy as you want if you know where to go.
I hunt solo but been hunting the South Island for 10 years now and there are some spots i don't just due to terrain and recovery of animals.
Rivers are the biggest killer in NZ in the bush so unless you are very comfortable to cross them safely and experienced in them i would try get a mate to come along.

Check out Nzhuntingandshooting forum its a kiwi forum and most guys are pretty good on helping guys out.
Get fit by that i don't mean just gym fit and on road running fit but off road. Your ability and efficiency off track will make life so much easier. I have taken a number of americans out and they all think that some of our easy mtn hunts are the hardest they have ever done.

More than welcome to pm me for more details.

Best bet is to do a hunt swap with a kiwi, they'll have the spots to take you and make it safer. I've taken a few euro's and Americans out just need to get over to the USA and Europe to get that hunt in.

If its your first time and doing public lands don't expect huge animal numbers or trophies everywhere. It is hard hunting and WARO has just started up again and is decimating the deer population.

As @Kiwi and @JP100 have said start eastern side of Alps terrain is a bit easier.

Good glass is a must.