Best elk rifle in 300 win mag

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 Winchester 70 extreme weather that shoots 3/4" groups. And I happen to be looking for a buyer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just think, for the same price you could have bought a tikka and had an action that’s one of the smoothest I’ve ever worked and guaranteed shooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you like you’re tikkas, I’m not a huge fan of them and I’ve had a couple of them. I know some guys think they are just the best thing going but I was never impressed.

FURMAN

WKR
The Tikka has a super short magazine for a 300 win. I would look at the Mesa. I love Tikkas but for magnum cartridges you couldn't give me one.

jhm2023

WKR
Not sure if others have had similar problems but I owned a Tikka T3 superlite in 300 win and a lot of times it struggled getting the empty brass out of the little ejection port. Almost as if the brass was too big for the port. It shot great, but that was an attribute I couldn't live with so it got rehomed. Oddly enough I had the same rifle in a 7mm rem mag and never once had that issue. Both rifles shot right around half MOA all the way to 600 yards.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The Tikka has a super short magazine for a 300 win. I would look at the Mesa. I love Tikkas but for magnum cartridges you couldn't give me one.

This is why my magnum Tikkas are WSM. Loading a WSM to 3.180" is no problem with over 1/4" to spare in the mag box ;)

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I like Tikka's, have a CTR. Excellent shooter, great trigger. But if you are going to shoot a 300 win mag, as others have mentioned, they are not the best choice IMO. As mentioned, the boxes are short, and the twist, IIRC, is 1 in 11. So if you ever decide to shoot long, high BC bullets, like the ELDX 212, or the Berger 215, you are going to have a problem.

FYI, I have a Vanguard in 300 win mag. It's box is longer than the Tikka's, but it too is too short to get anywhere even in the vicinity of the lands with the longer bullets. That can be fixed, apparently, with a DB mag conversion, looks like Wyatt's can do the deed with an internal (they say the Rem box will work fine), but you are going to need to mill out the back of the action, bolt stop etc.

So might consider those things if you want to go win mag in case you ever want to use the longer bullets.