Best elk rifle in 300 win mag

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hard to argue with the tikka. Growing up in prime elk country and working for guide services, the Winchester 70 was probably the most common rifle to show up.

What is the best elk hunting rifle in 300 win mag for under 1400 dollars?

I would be looking really hard at the Christensen Mesa. But personally, I would probably stretch my budget just a touch more and look at the Ridgeline. There’s a lot of info out there on both models to help you decide.

I own a tikka in .270 and I know a few people with various other calibers. What I can guarantee is that out of the box, it is extremely accurate. However, like any rifle, you must go through the process of breaking in the barrel if you truly want to get the most out of it. My tikka will not shoot bigger than an inch with any factory load and will shoot a little less than half an inch with certain factory loads. It’s now my fiancé’s favorite gun and she has had no problem blowing the heart out of whitetail at distances ranging from 90 yards to literally 325 yards.

I suggest go find a store that carries the tikka T3 lite and fondle it. Lol. Shoulder it, feel the weight or lack there of, and work the action (BUTTER). Then try to find any rifle in your price range that comes close. You won’t. For the money, the tikka is hands down best bang for your buck. If you feel the need to spend 1400 on a rifle, I’d be looking at a Kimber or Sako. For the record, the tikka has a Sako action in it.

If you really want to have the best mountain rifle, I’d look at a GAP rifle but be prepared to wait a while and spend double of what your budget is. That being said, my buddy has one in 7mm wsm and it shoots .09” group at 100 yards and will hold a 3” group at 760 yards. It’s stupid stupid accurate. However, you have to run hand loads with extremely high tolerances to get that out of it. And your barrel life is about 1800 rounds before the group begins to open up.

If I knew I was going to be within 400-500 yards max, I’d shoot my 270 at anything in North America. It will absolutely kill what ever I hit as long as I do my part. If I’m shooting out to 800, I’d want a little more ump. I’d probably shoot my semi custom .308 bc I can keep the group around 2 inches out to 700. But shooting at those distances is very very challenging so I’d opt to get closer unless it’s the last day or a once in a lifetime bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
Under $1400, I would go with the Browning Xbolt HC Speed, especially for a 300 Win since it comes with the removable brake.

Tikka is a great choice, too. I like the Browning a little better though.

Hard to make a bad choice these days, though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
so many options. You will get a ton of opinions too. frankly i love my savage 16 stainless weather warrior. with $1400 you have a bunch of good options.

Under $1400, I would go with the Browning Xbolt HC Speed, especially for a 300 Win since it comes with the removable brake.

Tikka is a great choice, too. I like the Browning a little better though.

Hard to made a bad choice these days, though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Remington...... lol

Wapiti1

WKR
Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness. I prefer a non-detachable mag, and all metal parts. I've never had a Vanguard that shot poorly. No flies on the other suggestions.

Jeremy

Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness. I prefer a non-detachable mag, and all metal parts. I've never had a Vanguard that shot poorly. No flies on the other suggestions.

Jeremy

That or the Backcountry if you want Cerakote. Mine shoots about 3/4” at 100 yds, not bad for a mountain rifle. Also built like a custom gun.

SoDaky

WKR
Do you have an action?Another Stock?Both?
If so,building one might make the budget.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Remington...... lol

This seems to be all the buzz on the internet but my father just got a brand new BDL that is a very nice gun fit and finish wise and shoots very well, a year or so ago I got a 700 mountain rifle that was on a big sale and it exhibits absolutely none of the issues I’ve read about, it’s also a good shooter and a pretty. I’ve gun overall. I’ve read several reports of the AWRs and people seem to like them, I havnt read any negative reviews. Also, my buddy just got a 700 cdl sf in 35 Whalen than exhibit absolutely no quality control issues.

Their triggers aren’t great but I sometimes wonder where all these horrible Remington rifles come from, I havnt seen any.

sndmn11

WKR
That or the Backcountry if you want Cerakote. Mine shoots about 3/4” at 100 yds, not bad for a mountain rifle. Also built like a custom gun.

I have a Wilderness DBM that out shoots my Tikka easily, and I can't think of anything i like better about the Tikka. The Weatherby weighed in at 6lbs2oz

This seems to be all the buzz on the internet but my father just got a brand new BDL that is a very nice gun fit and finish wise and shoots very well, a year or so ago I got a 700 mountain rifle that was on a big sale and it exhibits absolutely none of the issues I’ve read about, it’s also a good shooter and a pretty. I’ve gun overall. I’ve read several reports of the AWRs and people seem to like them, I havnt read any negative reviews. Also, my buddy just got a 700 cdl sf in 35 Whalen than exhibit absolutely no quality control issues.

Their triggers aren’t great but I sometimes wonder where all these horrible Remington rifles come from, I havnt seen any.

Just think, for the same price you could have bought a tikka and had an action that’s one of the smoothest I’ve ever worked and guaranteed shooter