Kifaru knock offs infiltrating the market.

CorbLand

WKR
No one is complaining about First light, Kuiu and Sitka knocking off the mountain brands technical clothing lines.

That’s because those brands don’t have a cult following like Kifaru does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
They are all knock off in one way or another. Funny thing is I don’t see anyone from Kifaru complaining on places like the this and I don’t think they are secretly happy to see fanboys taking up the cause.
I am fairly certain that with Kifarus understanding of their market they are not banking on having products the bare no resemblance to their competitors. However I am certain that their success stems from the quality and reputation that they established through years of providing products with consistent improvements and innovation, along with outstanding customer service. They have towed the line and their reputation doesn’t need to be propped biassed on phony outrage. If there is product they need to protect they are more then capable of it without our help.

bbb549a28df1c63b895c91b4c9316c12.jpg

CorbLand

WKR
Don't they, though?

I may not see it because I don’t really go to the clothing section very often or really pay attention but from my experience and what I see, nobody has a cult following quite like kifaru or vortex.

I may not see it because I don’t really go to the clothing section very often or really pay attention but from my experience and what I see, nobody has a cult following quite like kifaru or vortex.

Not on rokslide so much I guess but archery talk...

The sawtooth is just an up sized Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. Not sure if that counts as a ripoff or not.

colersu22

WKR
I was going to say the same thing as realunlucky about his own design from his previous company he started.

Brendan

WKR
The sawtooth is just an up sized Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. Not sure if that counts as a ripoff or not.

Actually - I'd say more like a Supertarp without the stove jack. And, there didn't necessarily have to be an agreement that Patrick wouldn't compete or continue any of the designs. In fact, MountainSmith is pretty proud of Patrick's legacy as their founder and a lot of his designs:

About Us

CorbLand

WKR
Pretty sure that Smith signed a non competition clause when he sold Mountain Smith. That’s why they waited to start Kifaru. He talked about it on a podcast. I think it was one of the Kifaru cast ones. In it he talks about the industry and blatantly admits that really all anyone does is steal ideas from one other and make it better/change it enough that it’s not exactly the same. He talks about him and Mystery Ranch doing it to each other for years.

MattB

WKR
That’s because those brands don’t have a cult following like Kifaru does.

I am not sure there is a company in the backcountry hunting industry that is accused of having a greater cult following that Kuiu, so I am really confused by your comment.

A pack that looks similar but is made with crappy materials and workmanship for half price isn’t likely to steal any customers from Kifaru. The mall ninja preppers may buy them to store their doomsday gear in, but if they aren’t actual fakes people are ending up with after thinking they’re getting a Kifaru, I wouldn’t get bent out of shape over it.