Water purification

Need help getting the proper system to purify water. I’m illiterate on this issue when doing research. I need to be bow to have safe drinking/cooking water for a backpack hunt for 10 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradNSW

FNG
I use a Katadyne w/ceramic filter. Son in law uses same with a charcoal filter.

His pumps 3-5 times faster than mine but he has to change filters every year...mine has been in use since 1984. His is a bit lighter.

I don't mind taking 30 mins mid-day to pump a few liters but it's pretty boring.

If you're camped near a water source, the gravity bag systems are great but there has to be enough water to fill them up. I've filtered water from just a trickle that would have never filled a bag easily. My guess is this system is a bit lighter than my ceramic filter.

I don't get the "straw" filters, except in a survival situation where you have no containers, but some swear by them.

There is nothing wrong with tablets either but I tend to like clear "clean" looking water...

Each has their place and for some it's personal preference.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I have an MSR Sweetwater. I carry water on me in Nalgene bottles and I pack in a MSR Dromedary 4liter bag to fill and have water at camp. Make sure you have some sort of backup system. I’ll carry either a Sawyer Mini or Potable Aqua tablets. But make sure you have a second way to get clean water. Other than that, not really complicated. It’s good to have an idea before hand of where you might be able to fill up on water. Mark gps waypoints ahead of time and/or while you are hunting; maybe if your trail in crosses a stream, or your camping near a high alpine lake, etc. It sucks to be searching for water in the heat of midday when you are dry and not know where a watering spot is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
I have a platypus. Simple and quick. Fill the 'dirty' bag from a creek/stream/seep, connect the filter, raise the dirty bag, burp the air from the line and gravity filter into your clean bag/reservoir. Takes only a few minutes. 20160919_120204.jpg

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the sawyer squeeze and two 64 oz pouches. One for dirty water and one for filtered water. Worked well and it is fast.