44 or 50 mm objective vx6-hd

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys so I'm either thinking of getting the leupold vx6hd in 3-18x44 or 3-18x50 with the fire dot duplex and CDS. The 44 mm weighs 16.8 oz and the 50mm weighs 20.4 oz. it will be going on a Browning X Bolt Hells canyon speed in 300 win mag which weighs 6.13 pounds. It will be used for western hunting. Does the 50mm have any advantages/disadvantages to the 44. What are the pros and cons of the 44 and 50mm objective size. Does one gather more light? Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Exit pupil size and mounting height are the common things you’ll find information about.

If you’re typically using 3-9x magnification I doubt you’ll ever see a difference in the field. At higher magnifications you most likely will.

A lot of people prefer a scope mounted as low as possible, I find that I have a quicker mount a clearer natural sight picture with it mounted slightly higher.

One thing most don’t discuss is I find my 50mm scope to have a larger/more forgiving eye box. I’d still probably go with the 44mm though on that rifle based on weight alone.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Exit pupil size and mounting height are the common things you’ll find information about.

If you’re typically using 3-9x magnification I doubt you’ll ever see a difference in the field. At higher magnifications you most likely will.

A lot of people prefer a scope mounted as low as possible, I find that I have a quicker mount a clearer natural sight picture with it mounted slightly higher.

One thing most don’t discuss is I find my 50mm scope to have a larger/more forgiving eye box. I’d still probably go with the 44mm though on that rifle based on weight alone.

What if I am using a 3-18 magnification? Will it make much of a difference than?

DRUSS

WKR
Identical scope magnification and only 6mm of objective difference could be pretty tough to determine the differences in field circumstances. Not saying that the numbers lie, but some guys eyes are different than others. I would choose 44mm just to mount a bit lower for my preference. JMHO

Hey guys so I'm either thinking of getting the leupold vx6hd in 3-18x44 or 3-18x50 with the fire dot duplex and CDS. The 44 mm weighs 16.8 oz and the 50mm weighs 20.4 oz. it will be going on a Browning X Bolt Hells canyon speed in 300 win mag which weighs 6.13 pounds. It will be used for western hunting. Does the 50mm have any advantages/disadvantages to the 44. What are the pros and cons of the 44 and 50mm objective size. Does one gather more light? Any help would be much appreciated thanks

I have the vx6HD in the 3-18x44 and I believe it was just over 20oz on my scale with the included aluminum caps. I think it was 20.1 oz or something close to that if I remember, not 17oz. Just wanted to let you know the real world weight.

I personally chose the 44mm to keep the overall profile down. I don’t think the 50mm would be too big either at the end of the day. My vx6 is new to me, but so far it has been very bright and I have shot it early morning and never wished I had more light gathering from the bigger objective myself.

Last edited: