Alaska vacation in September, what do I NEED to do/see?

Horrible weather this weekend had me stuck inside with not much to do except think. I realized that I had a $0 companion airfare I needed to burn. So I told the wife we were heading to Alaska. She thought I was joking until I booked a flight and an RV. Our dates are September 7-15, flying into Anchorage, picking up our rental RV and hitting the road. My only real plan at the moment is to drive to Denali National Park. Other than that, what are the top 3-5 things we need do/see in our short time? Since we only have a week, I would rather spend a good amount of time on a few things, rather than spending very little time while trying to cram a bunch of stuff in. Of course, I will be packing a couple rods and reels and hitting the rivers/lakes up. Hit me up with other suggestions so I can come up with a decent itinerary.

VernAK

WKR
Denali could be interesting at that time but it's getting close to road closure in the Park.
Might want to check that out.
Not much for fishing up that way.

Jd259

WKR
I would skip Denali and go straight to the Kenai peninsula I think Denali is over rated we did it and being trapped on a bus with fifty other tourist isn’t my cup of tea. that being said if you do go up there stop into talkeetna that’s an awesome little town. But I’d suggest spending a day or two in Seward then head down to Soldotna and fish the kenai river then head down to homer and spend a couple days there that’s a really neat place to.

You'll be there just a bit off season, which is good. Fewer tourists and mosquitoes. Drive the Denali Highway, preferably east to west (so you have views of Denali if the weather is good). I lived there three years and never went to the Park. They say it's the place to see wolves, bears, etc. The Kenai is pretty, and if you do go, take a boat ride out of Seward or Homer to see some of the marine life. See a glacier. Drink a beer. There was a cool knife shop on the east side of the road somewhere down near Seward back in '06 when I last visited the Kenai. I really like the Denali Highway with an RV. Drive a while, park and you're camped with the best kitchen window views around. Pick a spot on the horizon and hike to it. a good way to kill a few days going at your own pace. There's rivers and lakes along there, but not sure about they hold for fish. Should be some foraging to be done up there in the way of berries at least.
I'm sure you'll get better details from locals, but you'll have a great time regardless. You can pull off and camp nearly anywhere outside of town (can be harder to do on the Kenai). Ask your rental company for a copy of the MILEPOST. It's an indispensable resource for driving around the state. If they don't give you one, buy one, or see if somebody on here has one you can borrow.

Jbehredt

WKR
Talkeetna is an awesome little town on your way up to Denali. We did a couple nights there. Some really good eats. Contact Phantom Tri river for some fun times fishing. The jet boat ride was worth the price of admission. As mentioned the marine wildlife tours out of Seward are amazing. Whales, seals, sea otters, calving glaciers, puffins, starfish......

Jbehredt

WKR
I would skip Denali and go straight to the Kenai peninsula I think Denali is over rated we did it and being trapped on a bus with fifty other tourist isn’t my cup of tea. that being said if you do go up there stop into talkeetna that’s an awesome little town. But I’d suggest spending a day or two in Seward then head down to Soldotna and fish the kenai river then head down to homer and spend a couple days there that’s a really neat place to.

The highlight of the Denali bus tour for me was watching a little female backpacker lay into some big foreigner who flicked his cigarette but onto the ground. The grizzlies were cool but she was impressive.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve been to AK 10 times. Once was to sightseeing. I would not bother with anything North of Denali. I thought Denali was awesome and a must see; I think September would be an incredible time to be there. That and the Kenai Peninsula are where I would spend my time. Hit a glacier.

Taking the train to Denali in one of the dome cars is very cool; I’d do that over driving the RV.

You do realize a week in Alaska is like jamming Christmas into a couple days? Everyone rolls differently and I have no idea whether you want to cram as much sightseeing as possible into those days...which would be normal and terrific...or you want to get away from people while you relax, camp and fish. Just know you can't get your belly full of anything in a week. For my first trip there I would just figure out what I wanted the most of, and then plan around that. I personally love the south end and can find plenty to do there without the drive north to Disn...Denali.

We'll be there again in one month. We've got 2 weeks and we're covering some good areas. Wrangell-St Elias NP, Seward, Homer, Kenai region, The Glenn, Fairbanks, Talkeetna. My wife and I did our own trip in 2015 and it was sweet. This time we have another couple joining us and it will be just as fine. And then we'll be back up in Sept to hunt again. Sigh!....

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
If your heart is set on going to Denali, then the timing of your trip should be great...chances of seeing the mountain are better as opposed to summer, the tundra will be turning red, the birch will be turning yellow, and the volume of tourists will be significantly decreased. Not sure when it closes-down there, but it does, so check that out.

If you don't want the typical tourist experience, you might want to drive from ANC to Valdez, camping a couple days along the way. In Valdez, you might be able to go out for the day fishing for silvers or not. You can then take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier through Prince William Sound, and have time to head south for a day or two before going back to ANC. You'll see more country and experience more Alaska than a trip to Denali.

Hope you have a great trip!

Russp17

WKR
Horrible weather this weekend had me stuck inside with not much to do except think. I realized that I had a $0 companion airfare I needed to burn. So I told the wife we were heading to Alaska. She thought I was joking until I booked a flight and an RV. Our dates are September 7-15, flying into Anchorage, picking up our rental RV and hitting the road. My only real plan at the moment is to drive to Denali National Park. Other than that, what are the top 3-5 things we need do/see in our short time? Since we only have a week, I would rather spend a good amount of time on a few things, rather than spending very little time while trying to cram a bunch of stuff in. Of course, I will be packing a couple rods and reels and hitting the rivers/lakes up. Hit me up with other suggestions so I can come up with a decent itinerary.

Need to trout fish somewhere. That time of year can be great for trout and silvers.

OP
T
You do realize a week in Alaska is like jamming Christmas into a couple days? Everyone rolls differently and I have no idea whether you want to cram as much sightseeing as possible into those days...which would be normal and terrific...or you want to get away from people while you relax, camp and fish. Just know you can't get your belly full of anything in a week. For my first trip there I would just figure out what I wanted the most of, and then plan around that. I personally love the south end and can find plenty to do there without the drive north to Disn...Denali.

We'll be there again in one month. We've got 2 weeks and we're covering some good areas. Wrangell-St Elias NP, Seward, Homer, Kenai region, The Glenn, Fairbanks, Talkeetna. My wife and I did our own trip in 2015 and it was sweet. This time we have another couple joining us and it will be just as fine. And then we'll be back up in Sept to hunt again. Sigh!....

I realize a week is not much time at all. But, it's the time frame I have to work with and dammit I am going to Alaska! Denali is at the top of the list. My wife wants to see it, I want to see it, so we are definitely doing that. Research shows that the park should still be fairly accessible until 3rd-4th week of September. Obviously that can change in a minute.

I have no desire to try and do/see everything in one week. Honestly, we are going to pick out a few things and really enjoy them. Sounds like Kenai and Seward need to be at the top of list. So maybe a couple days for Denali and driving. Couple days in Kenai area, couple days in Seward and finish it off in Anchorage as we turn in our RV and wait for our late flight out.

Honestly, I don't really care what happens. I am going to be in Alaska. I have dreamed of this since I was a kid and now I am making it happen. Alaska family vacation this year, and Kodiak hunting trip next year. Hell, I may go every year from now on! If I really like it, maybe I can convince the wife to move there :)

Frosty82

WKR
You will be hitting Denali at a good time. Fall weather, colors, and a really great chance to see some monster moose in the first 15 miles of the park. You will be able to drive to mile 15, anything farther and you will have to get on a bus. The road lottery dates for this year are Sep 14-18th (future trip maybe?). After the lottery, a person can drive to mile 30 until the road gets snowed in. The Bride and I made our last trip at the end of Sept last year. Good luck and you are going to love Alaska!

Ray

WKR
The last decade there have been storms in September from the tail end of Pacific typhoons that have caused flooding and rains for days. Every three or so years it seems. 2012 was really brutal.

Once you hit the Park, you can go across the Denali highway from Cantwell to Paxson. It will be packed with hunters. The edges of every roadside pull out will be coated in poop because nobody in Alaska owns a shovel, or at least does not know how to operate a shovel. If you do the drive mid week, there will be more wide spots next to the road to overnight in. You could also camp at a private spot at Moore's Camp about mile marker 65. You can stop and fish in Clearwater Creek for grayling. One of the nicer views along the road is sunrise at the McClaren river. Sitting there on the road you can watch the moose meander across the flats north of the road before the sun hits them and they vanish. The mountains are quite stunning on a clear day. The next stop would be tangle lakes. There is a huge BLM camp ground on the north side of the road with lake access. There are lake trout and grayling to be caught in these waters.

Then head south to Glennallen or Valdez, or back to Anchorage. There are wide spots and camp grounds to park at along the way. Being hunting season most wide spots will be filled with hunters.

Talkeetna has a nice campground on the river near the airport. Easy walk into town. You could also head out Yoder road and camp on the gravel bars on Montana creek...unless its flooding.

I realize a week is not much time at all. But, it's the time frame I have to work with and dammit I am going to Alaska! Denali is at the top of the list. My wife wants to see it, I want to see it, so we are definitely doing that. Research shows that the park should still be fairly accessible until 3rd-4th week of September. Obviously that can change in a minute.

I have no desire to try and do/see everything in one week. Honestly, we are going to pick out a few things and really enjoy them. Sounds like Kenai and Seward need to be at the top of list. So maybe a couple days for Denali and driving. Couple days in Kenai area, couple days in Seward and finish it off in Anchorage as we turn in our RV and wait for our late flight out.

Honestly, I don't really care what happens. I am going to be in Alaska. I have dreamed of this since I was a kid and now I am making it happen. Alaska family vacation this year, and Kodiak hunting trip next year. Hell, I may go every year from now on! If I really like it, maybe I can convince the wife to move there :)

Good plan and good attitude. First trip up is absolutely a special learning experience. I've been going every year for many years now and it never loses its appeal. We did Denali in '15, and we did a flightseeing tour with K2 Aviation. Landing on Pika Glacier was spectacular and that was one check I've never regretted writing. Seward has ton of things to do within an hour (or less) and is very scenic. We liked Valdez but it is well out of the way unless something else takes one in that direction. Talkeetna is a fun and scenic town but loaded with tourist traffic. People walking everywhere with cameras slung...selfies...it's a bit touristy for my blood. Homer is worth the drive and a couple nights. Kachemak Bay is phenomenally beautiful with the mountainous backdrop. I hope you have a blast!

Russp17

WKR
Good plan and good attitude. First trip up is absolutely a special learning experience. I've been going every year for many years now and it never loses its appeal. We did Denali in '15, and we did a flightseeing tour with K2 Aviation. Landing on Pika Glacier was spectacular and that was one check I've never regretted writing. Seward has ton of things to do within an hour (or less) and is very scenic. We liked Valdez but it is well out of the way unless something else takes one in that direction. Talkeetna is a fun and scenic town but loaded with tourist traffic. People walking everywhere with cameras slung...selfies...it's a bit touristy for my blood. Homer is worth the drive and a couple nights. Kachemak Bay is phenomenally beautiful with the mountainous backdrop. I hope you have a blast!

Talkeetna won't be bad in Sept. The majority of tourist traffic ends the first week of September. Personally I try to avoid Talkeetna from June-August due too many tourists like Kevin said. Your time frame it will be a lot less crowded. I would hit up Denali and the Kenai. Seward is awesome and so is Homer. Maybe try to do some fishing along the way.

Denali Brewing Company helps me like Talkeetna more....

No trip to or through that area is complete without a quick stop at Denali Brew Co!

Also, I want to second the advice above, stay south of Denali, we have enough people up here north of it as it is already :)

If anyone is coming through Fairbanks, look me up and we can grab a beer at Hoodoo or sit around a campfire at the house, if you're not too busy one evening.

Enjoy AK, it's great!

All great advice. If I were to do Denali it would be that time of year! September is stunning up here. The tourist are gone for the most part and the views are spectacular. If you have any questions or want to grab a beer on the Kenai peninsula just let me know. The tourists shops in homer and Seward will be shut down but that's not a big deal at all.