Feedback on the Chevy 2.8 CO Diesel?

Trial153

WKR
In 2004 I swore I would never own another GM product. I haven’t and don’t regret it all. I also decided about 10 years ago that I wouldn’t own a small engine that wasn’t a Honda or Kawasaki. My life has been simpler since then for sure.

matthewmt

WKR
How much, you mean my truck?

kingfisher, great review sir, thanks! I'm shying away from one more & more here! It may have to be a New Toyota if I switch, thanks again!

ElkNut/Paul
Affirmative, been looking at used Toyotas myself.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtmuley

WKR
In 2004 I swore I would never own another GM product. I haven’t and don’t regret it all. I also decided about 10 years ago that I wouldn’t own a small engine that wasn’t a Honda or Kawasaki. My life has been simpler since then for sure.

Wish my life was simple. But, dammit, I still have GMC trucks, and Briggs & Stratton engines around. For 35 years or so. Oh, and some Stihl's too. To the OP, that ZR2 Colorado/Canyon is a badass truck. It's been tested against the foreign rig. mtmuley

sneaky

"DADDY"
My boss has a 17 Diesel Colorado. It's been in the shop more than my 225k mile 06 Tacoma has. She likes it, but she doesn't tow anything with it, and it's still going through recalls. I guess it's just part of it. Some people get one they never have to touch, some break down on the way home. I don't understand her or her husband. He lemon lawed his 16 DMax and got the same truck in a 17, and she bought the Colorado. I'll take my paid for Taco over either. That Hilux though....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

25498376_10214674462916317_2963105252922562727_n.jpg

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
I own a GMC Canyon Denali with the 2.8 Duramax in it. I have just over 36,000 miles on it and it’s been perfect. The motor will straight up pull anything perfect below 7700 pounds. I pull a 18 foot trailer loaded down with two atvs and full of camping gear up to Colorado and that little motor did wonderful with that load. The exhaust brake does wonderful in the mountains going down hill and it will just not quit pulling up hills. I get around 30 mpg just driving around from home to work and got 18mpg pulling my trailer last year up to Colorado. Other then the small room in the backseat they are nice little trucks for sure.

Macintosh

WKR
I'm curious what the recalls were that someone mentioned above. I have a 17 diesel Colorado, and there has been a total of one service bulletin for for some sort of sensor. I can't tell the difference before and after but that was a very quick fix during a oil change that they did while I waited. Other than that the biggest problem I've had has been chipped windshield from the roads around here, when someone figures out A gravel proof windshield I'll buy it.
These types of threads always tickled me a little bit though, if you go looking for a problem with anything, you'll certainly find it online. Having owned four Toyota trucks now, and having had to replace four leaf springs a u joint, The entire steering column, head gaskets, wheel bearings and axle parts, etc. all in just the last one I owned, I've decided that cars are cars regardless of who makes them, and that there's a pretty good chance I'm going to break something on all of them, and that throwing some money it it will fix it. No I'm not rich, and I certainly don't wanna lemon, I just don't think you can "consumer reports" your way out of car problems. I went looking for information and found a number of close personal friends who all had Chevy vehicles with over three hundred thousand miles on them, and decided I was as likely to get that as they were. I went looking for a good dealer and figured the dealer backing me up if things went South will make more of a difference than anything else. Just my $.02

Wahooo03

FNG
Just under 40K on my 16 Canyon (crew, short bed, All Terrain). No mechanical issues but typical GM (lack of) build quality especially on the interior. With that said, mine had to have been one of the first diesels off the line. Fuel economy is great, 4wd with rear locker works like a champ, and towing with the exhaust brake (despite the tiny mirrors) is easy. My brother has a 17 Denali and he's had zero issues.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
I've been without a PC for near 10 days, it's good to see a few more responses!

Macintosh, I agree 100% -- I find it humorous what some feel are issues when it's really just part of owning rigs! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Btaylor

WKR
What about oil changes and do they require DEF? Curious about the routine maint. cost compared to a gas burner.

Randle

WKR
Hey Paul , just like mac said you will find some bad views about most things on the web.
Ie. Like where's Bruce points out if you buy a Chevy you will become gay. That's helpful
Seriously I work at a gm dealer and we have had a few recalls but for the most part they have been a good truck. I have done research on most things I buy . Trying to avoid problems ,
But the truth is . If it's a mechanical device it can and will fail. It's just a matter of how long and when. Most of our problems are lack of maintenence. Poor ownership. Others are poor design. You will find that with any product. Vehicles get the worst rap because we pay so much for them.
Any way my point would be Every car brand has a service dept. Last time I checked.....

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
These types of threads always tickled me a little bit though, if you go looking for a problem with anything, you'll certainly find it online.
lol thats no kiddin right there! I just googled headaches and it looks like I've got about 10 mins left to live!

Macintosh

WKR
I’ve got 13,000 miles on my 17. That puts me at two I’ll changes a year, and I’m still on the original DEF tank, I think with one top off from the dealer when I got my oil changed 6months ago. Oil change at the dealer is about three times the price of a standard small truck oil change, recommended I think every 7kish miles. Havent bought any def yet so ??

dotman

WKR
While I know it is never safe to assume, does that put cost somewhere between my Ram 1500 and say an F250 as far as oil and DEF?

If you can perform maintenance yourself the cost difference isn’t that much really.