Feedback on the Chevy 2.8 CO Diesel?

ElkNut1

WKR
Anyone have one, good, bad or ugly feedback ! They've caught my eye for sure but would like to hear from those that have one with 10,000 miles+ -- They look great for their size! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Don't you have a Toyota, Paul? Or are you looking at adding to the garage? I certainly wouldn't trade out the Toyota for the Chevy......regardless what engine is in it. My Dad had a Chevy Colorado, and with only 43k miles on it that thing rattled like there was no tomorrow. Every newer Chevy truck I've been in rattles........even with less than 10k miles. My 30 year old Toyota still has no rattles. So........good luck.

boom

WKR
i like the ZR2 packaged one. very difficult to find according to the guy i chased down (with my tacoma) to talk to him about it. it is a damn nice truck.

the regular diesel colorado. get down on the ground and look underneath. there is very little ground clearance. that spare tire is hanging low! i think the tranny cross member is down there as well. i dont think it would be a very effective offroad rig if the offroading got very rough.

the guy i talked to said his truck is very very quick. dunno. he bought his in middle of nowhere Tx, and drove it back to CA..i dont remember his MPG, but he was very good.

if i had to pick a truck in that size category, it would be between the ZR2 Colorado and the new Tacoma. total "Sophies Choice".

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Hey guys thanks! The jury is still out on decision making! Mike, yes I have an 05 4 door Tacoma with 136,000 miles on it. I'm considering selling it & have been looking at the ZR2 Boom mentioned, it's a sweet looking rig! I haven't driven one yet so would need to check out the ground clearance for sure.

ElkNut/Paul

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys thanks! The jury is still out on decision making! Mike, yes I have an 05 4 door Tacoma with 136,000 miles on it. I'm considering selling it & have been looking at the ZR2 Boom mentioned, it's a sweet looking rig! I haven't driven one yet so would need to check out the ground clearance for sure.

ElkNut/Paul

I am in sales at a Chevy Dealer and I sold a ZR2 to a gentleman a while back and he absolutely loves it, but I think he is more of a fishing/hiking/kayaking kind of guy vs. hunting. We have sold a few of the diesel Colorado's and guys have been loving them for their fuel mileage. No first hand experience other than driving them around the lot.

boom

WKR

ElkNut/Paul

Paul.

the ZR2 is generously endowed with ground clearance. i had the old..ZR2 and i loved it. but the MPG was awful.

this new machine is a vastly different animal. good luck shopping. i'm gonna be rocking my 06 tacoma a bit longer. i have 150k miles on it, and while it is getting long in the tooth, i cant bare to get rid of it. well, actually, it is the new truck cost that have me scared. that new ZR2 is pricey i think.

jetcraft

FNG
I owned a 2016 GMC canyon with the 2.8 diesel. I really liked truck and the mileage was amazing - 25 to 35 mpg. It towed my 21' lund just fine at 17 mpg. Unfortunately it had chronic electrical problems like not starting with no explanation and stranding me multiple times. I'm definitely happy I had towing insurance. I ended up trading it in at 70,000 miles when the dealer couldn't fix the problem and bought a GMC Denali gas. I do think that I had a bad one as I know more than a few people who have had zero issues. I do miss the great mileage

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Bruce, not sure about the Hilux?

I'm not opposed to the V-6 gas unit in the ZR2 either, I'm entertaining both!

ElkNut/Paul

dtrkyman

WKR
Hilux is a diesel tacoma basically, I see them traveling abroad but not in the states. Looks to be a sweet rig, maybe someday they will bring them here?

Macintosh

WKR
I have a 17 diesel colorado z71 long bed. 13k miles, bought it last june. Came out of an 06 tacoma. I test drove a pile of tacomas when I bought this. The new tacos felt like less of a truck than the ilder ones Ive had, although I am certain tacoma clearance is a lot better. Ride and handling on the chevy was better than any of the tacos I drove. I tow a 19’ glass bass boat with mine, it tows about like a smaller v8, in other words it tows fine. My daily commute I get about 24mpg, long trips I get about 28-32 depending on terrain and speed. Off road it lacks the clearance of my taco, but its also got an AWD setting that is way better on snowy pavement. My only dislikes so far are the location of the 4wd knob is totally stupid and there is no visible indication when you are in 4wd; and the seat springs are a little squeaky.

Edited to add:
1). After owning for a year, I’d buy the same truck again tomorrow. Is it perfect? Heck no. But neither was anything else I looked at, and this was the best fit for me.

2). Having driven toyota trucks for over 20 years, I will say that I was not at all impressed with the new tacos. They were blingy and seemed much more cheaply made than in the past. I know4x4 performance is better, but the last 2 toyota trucks I had have not lived up to their reputation for durability. This, coupled with the impression that the new ones were even less well made had me looking elsewhere.

End of the day if youre looking at smaller trucks Id encourage you to check one out and decide for yourself.

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR

ElkNut/Paul
How much?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Paul, I have a 2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel. There are things I like about it, and things that feel somewhat concerning. Love the gas mileage (24.5-29mpg) . It handles great and has good pickup. I get over some rough country and forest service roads really quickly and with ease. Handles well in the snow. It is super easy to change the oil in, the fuel filters, the air filter, and other maintenance.

What I am concerned about: 1)The trans temp when going up some moderately steep forest service roads has gotten up to 240+ without any load in the bed. It does this too easily in my opinion. I stop driving it when this happens. Talked to the dealer. They say I shouldn't be concerned until it gets hotter(270+ degrees). I feel like I could get it there to prove the issues, but am unwilling to. I changed the trans fluid. We will se how it does this summer. 2) Warranty for drive train is only 60K, 3) Things that should be simple and mechanical, are electric and may cause issue in the future. For example, when you adjust the heat/ac, it takes a few seconds to send the info to the the computer and adjust. 3) Sometime there is a knock at startup(doesn't happen all the time.) 4) Very small dent occurred in same place on both rear fenders, that looks like it came from inside the wheel-wells, likely from going over bumps too fast and bottoming out rear suspension. 5) There are not as many after market options (ex. grill guards)for this truck as for the tacoma, or full sized domestics, although this is getting better. 6) Service department gives you the run around to the point I don't even make mention of my concerns anymore.

I want to love this truck, and time will tell if I will. I am nervous about some of the things mentioned. I owned a Volkswagen TDI before this, and it was simply built better and with more pride in design. If there are truck manufactures that don't cheapen things, I would like to know which. I would love to have something where every element of the design was thought out and engineered solid for the benefit of the consumer, and not the pocket book of the manufacturer.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
How much, you mean my truck?

kingfisher, great review sir, thanks! I'm shying away from one more & more here! It may have to be a New Toyota if I switch, thanks again!

ElkNut/Paul

gbflyer

WKR
In Europe the small diesels get 30-50mpg. They bring them here, hang on DPF’s, use DEF, and whatever else and now it’s a 20mph rig. Or in the case of a Hilux and others, they just flat out won’t sell them here due to all the California BS. I’ve never understood how that makes less emissions.

Wish you success in your research. I’d buy a Tacoma. The GM diesel isn’t going to be anything but a pain in the behind.