Center console bay boats

Beendare

WKR
Sold my Stryker now Im looking for a center console “ Bay Boat” or hybrid in the 21-24’ range.
The boat will be used primarily for inland fishing, bay fishing and carp shooting so I need a fairly shallow drafting hull.

I want a hull that can take a 3’ chop well. I’m interested in comments of the ride difference between a 21’er and a 24’er- some say its a HUGE difference in rough water. My buddy has the Blue Wave 2200 pure bay and its nice but doesnt perform as well as i would like in rough conditions. Asking a lot of one boat, i know.

Some boats that seem to qualify:

Pathfinder2200trs, 2350lbs, built well, cobia same

Blue wave 2200 pure bay (lrs)
Sportsman masters 227 (lrs)
Blazer boats
Ranger
Sheafer24 ( combo)
Dorado 23( combo)
skeeter 2250 bay
Nautic star-
Velocity 220
Sea pro (lrs)
Shearwater- good
Epic 22sc
HYBRID BAY BOATS
Pioneer bay sport 220

These boats are like hens teeth in the SFBay areas- but very pupular in the Gulf states so difficult to test run all comments welcome. What have you fished off of?

Bulldawg

WKR
I've run a nautic star 24', a shallowsport X3 25' and been in a ranger bay boat as well. The shallowsport is the cats a** but you pay for it and it has a specific purpose as a shallow water texas bay boat so probably not something you should look at. The nautic star we had was awesome. comfortable ride, handled the chop well and had good amenities, i liked it the only reason for the upgrade to the X3 was because it drafts shallower, very large deck and the most important part, it just looks cool haha. The ranger i rode in was very comfortable, it was with a guide in the Keys. it handled the chop well and was a nice boat but it was a little short.

As far as 21 vs 24 I like a longer boat for pretty much everything. They are more of a pain to tow but just handle that much better in the water. I don't like being on the water in 3' swells in a 32' bertram but a nautic star could handle it, but the wave height doesn't matter as much as the time between them.

Good luck picking a boat!

"The best day of a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it, so you're guaranteed at least 2 good days"

Oregon

WKR
Pioneer is good.
Sea pro good
Shearwater good.
Pathfinder very good.

Those 4 I’ve fished on. Good friend owned a pathfinder, have at least 100 hours on one. 22’.

Those 4 do well in a chop. None of those boats do fantastic in 3’. Bay boats just aren’t made to keep you dry in that slop.
Well, I should say they don’t keep you dry unless you slow down.

Wooldridge. Good luck finding a used one but if you have the coin for new it will be built to your specs.

If you went this route shoot me a note as I’m good friends with one of their sales guy and they will treat you right.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Wooldridge. ...
I had aluminum......too noisy for shallow water fishing and carp shooting. Just drifting the flats in the delta for carp the noise from slap off the hull scatters the fish.

I might be able to steal a NS project boat today.........22'. If not I will probably make a road trip to Texas sometime this summer......and come back with a boat. There just aren't any of these for sale in NorCal.

Cdpp880

WKR
Out of your list I like in order
Schaefer
Pathfinder
Blazer bay
Ranger.
I would put these at the top of my list for build quality. A few others to look at would be sea hunt, scout. Both make good boats and the sea hunts makes some good hybrid/between boats. For a really well built hybrid boat also look into the Parker SE. If you could find a 23’ pathfinder you like I know I would be happy with it. The Schafer is probably the best built but only ridden in a 26 footer and it is impressive! Either way get one and go fish the heck out of it!!!!,

I've run a nautic star 24', a shallowsport X3 25' and been in a ranger bay boat as well. The shallowsport is the cats a** but you pay for it and it has a specific purpose as a shallow water texas bay boat so probably not something you should look at. The nautic star we had was awesome. comfortable ride, handled the chop well and had good amenities, i liked it the only reason for the upgrade to the X3 was because it drafts shallower, very large deck and the most important part, it just looks cool haha. The ranger i rode in was very comfortable, it was with a guide in the Keys. it handled the chop well and was a nice boat but it was a little short.

As far as 21 vs 24 I like a longer boat for pretty much everything. They are more of a pain to tow but just handle that much better in the water. I don't like being on the water in 3' swells in a 32' bertram but a nautic star could handle it, but the wave height doesn't matter as much as the time between them.

Good luck picking a boat!

"The best day of a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it, so you're guaranteed at least 2 good days"

It’s hard to beat the Shallowsport X3 or Dargel 25’Kat for inshore and large bay systems.

For me, I get a little iffy when I go off shore with a single screw.

But from 6” to 1000’ feet deep it’s hard to beat those two

Concur A true 3’ swell suxs in anyboat.

I had aluminum......too noisy for shallow water fishing and carp shooting. Just drifting the flats in the delta for carp the noise from slap off the hull scatters the fish.

I might be able to steal a NS project boat today.........22'. If not I will probably make a road trip to Texas sometime this summer......and come back with a boat. There just aren't any of these for sale in NorCal.

Not all aluminum boats are created equal. Boatright is the work horse of the gulf coast from commercial flounder giging to redfishing. Lot thicker and heavier. Still a flat bottom /tunnel so can get a little squirly on big swells

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Not all aluminum boats are created equal. Boatright is the work horse of the gulf coast from commercial flounder giging to redfishing. Lot thicker and heavier. Still a flat bottom /tunnel so can get a little squirly on big swells

Oh sure,...and granted there is no perfect boat. I thought about getting a beater carp boat....then a nicer 24' or more something that can bay and ocean fish....but not only would my wife kill me....one boat is bad enough.

I didn't get that auction Nautic star.....now i have to pick a week to drive to texas and buy a used boat....it might have to wait until winter.

Last edited:

Jacack

WKR
Out of your list I like in order
Schaefer
Pathfinder
Blazer bay
Ranger.
I would put these at the top of my list for build quality. A few others to look at would be sea hunt, scout. Both make good boats and the sea hunts makes some good hybrid/between boats. For a really well built hybrid boat also look into the Parker SE. If you could find a 23’ pathfinder you like I know I would be happy with it. The Schafer is probably the best built but only ridden in a 26 footer and it is impressive! Either way get one and go fish the heck out of it!!!!,

spot on advise, been all all of these and a few others and the schaefer is a great boat, the islamorada 24 is a awesome ride too but $$$
Home Page - Islamorada Boatworks
jared

Shraggs

WKR
Not knowing your budget...

Whaler Dauntless series is worth a look. Their answer to a Bay boat and smaller lake boat. The 16 ish designs easily handle Bay conditions. Deadrise at transom around 16 degrees taper to 40 ish in bow. Very stable at rest to. The 22' is a machine. Same deadrise but with its length can easily handle big water 4-6' tight build. Equal to my 18' outrage deep v offshore series. Different techniques of course. Many years on Lake Michigan and feeder lakess - very windy and rough water often. The 22' is a huge family pleaser with a full head and shower below in the center console.

They are very expensive even used, how I fish - its all I will own under 25'. Fwiw.

John

Oh sure,...and granted there is no perfect boat. I thought about getting a beater carp boat....then a nicer 24" or more something that can bay and ocean fish....but not only would my wife kill me....one boat is bad enough.

I didn't get that auction Nautic star.....now i have to pick a week to drive to texas and buy a used boat....it might have to wait until winter.

Croaker season is firing up, boats are about to get expensive. 2coolfishing has a good classifieds, but no craiglist type steals.

With that said some good deals to be found on hurricane damaged. Bent towers etc. still good boats.

blackdawg

WKR
How about build quality on Triton, Skeeter or the old Champion bay boats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
B

Beendare

WKR
How about build quality on Triton, Skeeter or the old Champion bay boats?

The Skeeters are decent...I dunno the others. But comparing the Skeeter to a Ranger....there is a structural difference....in the ribs and in the transom construction....but you pay the price for that with the Ranger. Typically the better mnfrs have a higher resale.

What you see with these boats construction wise is there is a big difference between a quick chopped fiberglass hull....and a hand laid. Then there are many that do a combination. You can partially gauge it by the weight of the hull...with the hand laid hulls usually being lighter. Then typically the better hulls can take a little more Horsepower.
Most of the boats on my list are decent construction...some better than others.

My budget....depends. I'm not buying new...but want a newer model year or one in great shape. I will pay up for one of the better mnfrs. Maybe $45k for a better model...or $35k for one of the lesser mnfrs in great shape.

What do you think the best time of year is to get a good deal on a boat in Texas?

Cdpp880

WKR
The Skeeters are decent...I dunno the others. But comparing the Skeeter to a Ranger....there is a structural difference....in the ribs and in the transom construction....but you pay the price for that with the Ranger. Typically the better mnfrs have a higher resale.

What you see with these boats construction wise is there is a big difference between a quick chopped fiberglass hull....and a hand laid. Then there are many that do a combination. You can partially gauge it by the weight of the hull...with the hand laid hulls usually being lighter. Then typically the better hulls can take a little more Horsepower.
Most of the boats on my list are decent construction...some better than others.

My budget....depends. I'm not buying new...but want a newer model year or one in great shape. I will pay up for one of the better mnfrs. Maybe $45k for a better model...or $35k for one of the lesser mnfrs in great shape.

What do you think the best time of year is to get a good deal on a boat in Texas?
Best prices in Texas are around November-February.
For the price you mentioned I do not see a problem with being able to get a GREAT boat. If you could find a Schafer I would jump on it their build quality is second to non and would last a life time. But then again like I said befor any boat on your list will work in different aspects.
If you find something in the north coast of Texas and would like someone to go look at it and take additional pics let me know.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Best prices in Texas are around November-February.
For the price you mentioned I do not see a problem with being able to get a GREAT boat. If you could find a Schafer I would jump on it their build quality is second to non and would last a life time. But then again like I said befor any boat on your list will work in different aspects.
If you find something in the north coast of Texas and would like someone to go look at it and take additional pics let me know.

^ great offer thx.

I'm helping a buddy guide some elk hunters in Az in Nov.....maybe make run over to Texas after that?