Denver Area Living Advice

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Do you all have dogs, esp pit bull type dogs? If so, Denver and a few of the surrounding town have strict breed specific laws banning those breeds.

Nope I'm a yellow lab guy, if any towns have laws banning labs then I don't want to live there anyways haha

WKR
With the looming I-70 project, I'd stay east of town if my territory was eastern Colorado and western Nebraska. Strausburg might come into play for that.

TXCO

WKR
Tons of good points have already been made. You could also look at CO springs/Castle Rock in addition to Ft Collins. The biggest thing to keep in mind for being a weekend warrior to the mountains is that there are only 2 ways in/out of Denver (285 and 70) unless people go to Ft Collins or Co Springs which is why traffic is so bad. If you have flexibility and can be outside of Denver but still within reason to the airport, its a big help.

For Archery shops be sure to check out No Limits in Denver or Pelligrinos Archery Hut in Co Springs.

Last edited:
This has got to be the funniest commentary titled "Beginner's Guide for New Coloradans": Angry Denver Craigslist Post: Beginner's Guide for New Coloradans | Westword

I laughed so hard. Enjoy.

add: And this is by far, as a parent, my favorite part:

"7) Nobody thinks your children are cute. Keep them muzzled in the back seat and for ****s sake never, ever, ever under ANY circumstances take them in to a restaurant. In Colorado we still think children are to be seen and not heard, and your undisciplined, shitty-pants, dirty-faced, mess-haired savage needs a proper ass beating and some behavior parameters laid out clearly in front of them before you take them out in public. That "free spirit" parenting bullshit, and "it takes a village" mentality may be the way it's done in California, but here in Colorado it's not. If you won't discipline those screaming pant pissers I'll lay a beating on them for you, they aren't my kids, believe me, I harbor no reservations at swatting the annoying little cocksuckers."

I grew up in Arvada, now live north of town. If I were starting over and had no attachment to an area but wanted to be relatively in the metro area I would look at Parker/ castle rock/ Elizabeth. Basically south east of Denver. You can get on e-470 to I-70 or I-76 to head east (or to Nebraska) and avoid most of the bad traffic. That area has decent topography and pine/foothills feel. Traffic and mobility are a big consideration for the Denver area, our infrastructure is way behind our population growth.

Eagle

WKR
Moved to Castle Rock in February and love the town. I commute to downtown Denver daily, and use the light rail, total commute time is 1:20 each way, but in another 20 months, I'll be working from home full time and it won't matter. Good luck with your search, and be aware of what home prices are like, as they continue to climb. We looked all over and choose Castle Rock for the proximity to I-25, small town feel , schools, housing, and views.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My gf has the opportunity to take a job in the medical sales field in the Denver area pretty soon. We are looking within 45 min of Denver. Are there any areas to completely avoid? We don't have any children so schools aren't a concern. I'm really interested in the Evergreen area, and also considering the area just south of ft Collins. If you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

It all depends on if you're trying to have land or an apartment. In my opinion Denver is a nightmare because of the traffic. If she is going to be working in Denver I would try and stay close to there. There are some very nice areas in aurora. Golden is very nice and not that expensive relatively speaking. Castlerock, Parker, Highlands ranch are great areas, but the pricing there for just a 1 bedroom apartment is about 1400 or so. Littleton is probably your best bet the pricing is pretty fair and the commute to Denver is alright.