Cool opportunity I get to be a part of

Floorguy

WKR
So I work construction full-time and two years ago I became the part time youth pastor for our church. Our denomination has a camp in Big Lake and I was talking to the new director and he says that someone had told him that I was into doing all types of outdoor stuff. I told him I was and he tells me he has something he wants to discuss. Long story short he wants to start a youth outdoor education program starting out as something along the lines of a two week program based from the camp where there would be some classroom type instruction followed by some type of outdoor trip. He is aiming for one in spring/summer the other in fall/winter. He wants me to help create the program and run it.

His goal is to be writing and applying for grants next spring which gives me a decent lead time to come up with some ideas.

We will see what it turns into but it'll be a cool process to be a part of.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What a great opportunity to impact our youth.

I created and run a year long outdoor living program like what you propose through the public school system here in Oregon. I teach math and science as well.

I have a basic overview of all of my units I’ve created if you’d like a copy.

It’s definitely different then a weeklong course, but it could give you guys a direction.

I can’t tell you how rewarding it is to see passion for the outdoors grow in a group of kids.

Sent me a pm with an email address and I can send you a pdf of it. Offer stands for anyone else looking to start a similar program.

If we can get more schools and camps to implement something similar we can start really changing the culture.

Travis Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is super
I had a guy in our church who was a retired cowboy, hunter, construction type.

I asked him if he would consider something like this.

It is important to pass things down.
In the OT, they often assembled altars pout of stones for a reason.

They marked a place of revelation, covenant and experiences, they never wanted forgotten

Praying this goes well and has a great impact on this next generation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Floorguy

Floorguy

WKR
Right now I am thinking about including a wilderness medical aspect along with basic wilderness survival fire starting etc. Followed by a multi day trip. Our denomination takes teens on a 6 day hike on Resurrection trail so I am leaning towards the trip going somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Traditional land nav would be another good topic. Conservation, stewardship, hunting, fishing as well would all be great topics to touch on and all are easily tied to scripture.

Here are some of my favorite scriptures related to or can easily related to these outdoor topics:
1 Corinthians 3:6-9
Genesis 9:2-5
Psalm 118:23
Romans 1:20
Isaiah 5:8
Matthew 24:45-46
Psalm 46:10
Luke 5:16
Matthew 14:23
Job 12:7-10
Psalm 145:5