Cleaning up FS trails

Anyone know if you can go in with a chain saw and clear dead fall off forest service trails, outside of wilderness obviously?

Where I hunt the forest is over half dead and so deadfall litters the trail. Some trails are impassable with all the deadfall.

Kinda thinking about taking a weekend and hike in with a saw and fuel and do a good deed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nothing says you can't.
Talk to FS or other group and you might get some help.
If it leads to your honey hole don't start clearing until a half mile in.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I've done this myself never checked into it i just went and did it, outfitters and ranchers do it quite often i don't think there would be an issue but I'm sure the forest service wouldn't mind knowing.

OP
TradLife406
Agreed, may be even drop a few more across the trail to discourage those that are more determined!
Yeah there's that... They allow dirt bikes during bow season... I was bivying out opening day three miles in or more and hear a dirt bike! WTF! It's cool to see people who aren't capable of hiking enjoying a roadless public land area... Until they are zooming around on a dirt bike and have zero regard to the wind or thermals lol. Not even sure how they get up there with all the downed trees.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Probably different in other places but in the Black Hills National Forest you can cut anything that is dead.

Based on the dry conditions I’d ask the forest service if you are allowed to run a chainsaw. In my forest we are at a level 2 fire restriction so you are allowed to do very little.

As mentioned fire restriction in your area at that time is key. Ive never had a problem running my saw in Nat Forest around here in spring as its usually wet but come summer there are more restrictions. We were restricted from discharging firearms around here in the Nat Forest last summer until I think Sept due to fire danger.

Well the forest service doesn't have the time or resources to maintain all their trails, so its up to us. If it wasn't for dirt bike riders and people on horseback, a lot of trails would never be cut open again. Cut away and thanks for your effort!

If I see a well maintained trail I assume there will be a bunch of horse camps come hunting season. So if you don’t want me back there clear away.