Tiny cabin build

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Wow. Your cabin is a LOT nicer than most of the Alaska small cabins. Very nice. What are the dimensions?

The state sells what they call "recreational" property to residents up here for relatively cheap, so there are hundreds if not thousands of similar small to medium sized cabins scatted all over Alaska. Very few of them end up as nice as yours (although a few do). You have some pretty good skills with the interior finish work.

I have countless good memories staying in small dry cabins. This is my daughter in front of one my grandfather built. Four generations have used this one now.

HufGq1s.jpg

And this is a truly "tiny" one (10x12) that my brothers and I helped my dad build back in highschool.

O5rCHVe.jpg

I have been working on something similar at a remote site in interior AK with "help" from my kids (8 & 6) . It's in the mountains and about 14 miles off the road, so logistics of getting stuff in is 90% of the challenge. Was just there this weekend hauling more lumber and getting another round of logs up.

Most the supplies come in via winter trail.

EnBmIE2.jpg

Y55K3bZ.jpg

And then we build in the summer season.

GATu6UZ.jpg

Compared to yours, mine is going to lean towards the rustic side for sure!

It is 16’ x 12’ x 15’ peak ceiling (you can stand in the loft)

Your cabin is looking good. Hopefully mine will provide the great outdoors for many generations

Thanks for the kind words!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
Awesome, I hope I can do something similar someday. I didn't see anything for cooking, all cooking to be done outside?

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Awesome, I hope I can do something similar someday. I didn't see anything for cooking, all cooking to be done outside?

There will be a propane stove cooktop and an undercounter propane fridge next summer. So yeti cooler fridge and outdoor bbq for now

I need something like this to become a reality in my life. Even if it isnt in my hunting area.

Nice, it does take time. Is this in NV?
You should be commended.
I was a bit surprised to see drywall.

Wow!! Mighty fine work, it looks awesome!...but I can't believe you would install store bought doors on that beauty haha
This is one of my goals in life, get some land out in the wilderness, build my own cabin, and let the generations to come enjoy

FlyGuy

WKR
Great looking place. Nerve racking I'm sure. I hate heights, and that is a steep pitched roof to be climbing around on alone!

I have a woodworking problem myself. Would love to see more pictures of that cabinet and the counter top. Also, can you explain in a little more detail how you made the flooring? Assuming cabinet grade plywood? Ripped, tongue & groove added? Was it a cost savings over commercial bought or a look you wanted?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Great looking place. Nerve racking I'm sure. I hate heights, and that is a steep pitched roof to be climbing around on alone!

I have a woodworking problem myself. Would love to see more pictures of that cabinet and the counter top. Also, can you explain in a little more detail how you made the flooring? Assuming cabinet grade plywood? Ripped, tongue & groove added? Was it a cost savings over commercial bought or a look you wanted?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I used 11/32 pine plywood sheathing. It’s $19 a sheet so it only cost me $0.59 sq. Ft. I ripped into 4-1/4” strips then cut lengths into 1’, 2’, and 4’ lengths. Then I put a small round over around the top edges and ends. Stained with golden oak then a 320 grit sand. He are a couple pics of countertop and cabinet
1ce5d38871d4768fd14640391eb08b85.jpg
32041a07d75f7383f21904027c1534b7.jpg

e050369d734552037fc89a5554912713.jpg

c3fc851d926aacbc371088720fc6ddbf.jpg
0a4bc6ed3ccdd382cff5007020d03226.jpg

Both were made of cherry and walnut. The countertop also has purpleheart and alder.