What to do in this scenario- bedded buck

work765

WKR
Last year. I was faced with the situation of a buck being bedded down hill from me. But under a huge oak tree. The wind was blowing at my face so I only had one way to approach him and it was from up above. I watched him feed around the tree for a bit and then as the morning heated up he went into lay down. I was hardly able to see his body under the tree. No clear shot angles.

What I did was basically try to get closer in hopes to get a shot window through the thick oak. But he eventually busted me and ran off. I know I should have done things differently. But what is ideal in tactic?

My brother said. He would have thrown some rocks. And that would have gotten him out of his bed.

What would you guys have done??

c7d724dfd72fbdd7513a88aa0385d655.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve throw rocks next to a bedded buck twice now and both times the buck has taken off running right from the bed without presenting a shot opportunity. Since those experiences I’ve learned to just wait it out. Most bucks I’ve seen bed in the AM will get up and reposition themselves again before the afternoon.

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Wait it out, far less risk in him bolting rather than trying to close the gap. Unless you are better than average at stalking?

Not that it’s relevant, Had a buck walk in front of my stand once, walked straight towards a Friend in a stand 100 yds from me, he thought I didn’t see him so he rifled an arrow 20 ft in front of the buck when he was walking, which didn’t make a lot of sound. (He didn’t have rocks in his stand) the buck took off directly the way he came and blew past me full throttle. Hunting season a noise not natural and they are gone. My experience.

Scoot

WKR
If he was bedded in range for a decent shot, wait him out. More times than not trying to make something happen on a bedded buck doesn't work out very good when you're bowhunting. Patience kills muleys...

OP
W

work765

WKR
Thanks guys. I guess in the moment I was being impatient and trying to rush it. The idea of sitting there for hours I guess didn’t come into my mind.
Lots to learn!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Your brother must like running bucks off with rocks lol. I'd just wait it out, wait for it to stand and move with the shade as the day moves on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
If it's morning, I'd keep an eye on him and try and ambush where he will head once the sun hits him. Worst case scenario you have an idea where he likes to bed and can hunt another setup

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

weaver

WKR
Waiting them out is probably the best tactic.
On the other hand I twice in a week had a 190"+ under 30yds waiting for him to stand and the wind gave me away both times.

KSP277

WKR
Hard to kill him throwing little rocks. Your gonna need one the size of a grapefruit atleast. But watermelon size is more better if you can chuck it that far.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hard to kill him throwing little rocks. Your gonna need one the size of a grapefruit atleast. But watermelon size is more better if you can chuck it that far.
We had an Iraqi kid throw a rock big enough to shatter a bulletproof windshield. I should hope that as grown men we can drop one on a deer big enough to finish it lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk