SW Colorado Fire Restrictions

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like Stage 3 restrictions are soon to come. What does that mean in terms of access to NF and Wilderness areas?

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
Now there's a second fire, The Burro Fire, north of Dolores near the Bear Creek Trailhead. It's likely the 416 fire and this fire could join up since the 416 fire has crossed Hermosa creek and is heading west. It's a scary situation for sure.

sneaky

"DADDY"
InciWeb is the best source for fire info

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

George

Lil-Rokslider
I fished yesterday, fire doubled in size, closures tomorrow, big fine and hard time for violating the closure. This will crimp my lifestyle.

G

Poser

WKR
Crazy, but necessary. If the Forrest remains closed all summer, could make for some unique and interesting hunting come archery season, though I’d expect that surely it will be open once monsoon season is upon us in August.

In the meantime, WTF am I going to do with myself?

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
I drew one of the early season high alpine tags for GMU 65 (in San Juan National Forest). I was just planning my first backpacking/scouting trip down there. Sounds like that's not going to happen.

According to this announcement:

"The closure order will prohibit entry into the San Juan National Forest, including entry by the general public, most administrative entry by Forest Service employees, and most uses authorized under Forest Service permits and contracts. This means that forest campgrounds, day use areas, roads, and trails will be closed, including wilderness areas, and that hiking, dispersed camping, and other recreational activities are prohibited."​

gbflyer

WKR
I’d hate to see a fire where I go in W. CO although it’s arguable that getting rid of a bunch of the oak brush might benefit the feed situation. The result of closure, in terms of keeping the ATV trail beaters out all Summer would also most likely be positive.

Poser

WKR
I’d hate to see a fire where I go in W. CO although it’s arguable that getting rid of a bunch of the oak brush might benefit the feed situation. The result of closure, in terms of keeping the ATV trail beaters out all Summer would also most likely be positive.

I don’t know if there is a way to “get rid of” the scrub oak. I’ve seen where the railroad has burned off their ROW for mitigation purposes, bulldozed the area and then sprayed the same area and scrub oak still reappears the next year like nothing happened.

I drew one of the early season high alpine tags for GMU 65 (in San Juan National Forest). I was just planning my first backpacking/scouting trip down there. Sounds like that's not going to happen.

According to this announcement:

"The closure order will prohibit entry into the San Juan National Forest, including entry by the general public, most administrative entry by Forest Service employees, and most uses authorized under Forest Service permits and contracts. This means that forest campgrounds, day use areas, roads, and trails will be closed, including wilderness areas, and that hiking, dispersed camping, and other recreational activities are prohibited."​

Unit 65 is all Uncompahgre National Forest so you should be fine as far as access goes.