SW Colorado Fire Restrictions

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know what GMU Units are involved? I've looked at the maps in a couple of the replies here, but can't distinguish any of the areas. I checked the Colorado Game & Fish website, and can't find anything mentioned about closures.

Last I heard all of the S.J.n.f. Is closed
50f088e4fba84e9236c2e2a83c744cb0.png

This shows where the 416 and burro fires are burning
5f5d79f6f53c81569f98b030705c6657.png

Thanks fng4life. The Private Ranch I hunt on is in 78/81, most of which is in the area in the "hot pink" color and the area you circled in red on the first map.

dtrkyman

WKR
See any of that storm? Albuquerque got .83 on the 16th , set a record for that date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
In the eyes of the usfs the rain was not enough and talk is that even more areas will follow the stage 3 that the San Juan put in place..

Or the heads of the Uncompahgre, Gunnison, San Isabel, Pike, and Rio Grande National Forests are getting ready to put stage 3 restrictions in place if we dont get rain. The forcast is for 10 days of dry weather with above average temps/wind..

I wonder what they will do for guys who drew tags as it looks like 1/3 of the state might close...

I’d think it should be open after monsoon season, but if they are not, I’d speculate that hunters are SOL just like everyone else: ski resorts, ATV outfitters, river guides, fishing guides, festivals and weddings hosted at ski resorts etc. they might give you your money back, but unlikely they will transfer tags and I wouldn’t count on point refunds either. I may be wrong, but that’s my legal/contractual experience with “Act of God” clauses.

Bulldawg

WKR
Couple years ago there was a fire in a major moose hunting unit and it shut down the region during the moose season, the DOW gave everybody the option of taking the tag for the next year instead of that year. We'll see what happens, I assume that they will open the forest back up mid august or so. But if they don't, I'm hoping they give an option to take a tag next year, cause I burnt some points down there hahaha

I’d think it should be open after monsoon season, but if they are not, I’d speculate that hunters are SOL just like everyone else: ski resorts, ATV outfitters, river guides, fishing guides, festivals and weddings hosted at ski resorts etc. they might give you your money back, but unlikely they will transfer tags and I wouldn’t count on point refunds either. I may be wrong, but that’s my legal/contractual experience with “Act of God” clauses.

Most of the units are OTC for elk so guys can go elsewhere, but deer, bear, moose, sheep, and goat are another story not sure what they will do. It is already cutting into scouting time. I saw some documents from the forest service about us being 5" short of moisture still after this recent storm if they are holding to that it might not open until next spring.

Poser

WKR
Most of the units are OTC for elk so guys can go elsewhere, but deer, bear, moose, sheep, and goat are another story not sure what they will do. It is already cutting into scouting time. I saw some documents from the forest service about us being 5" short of moisture still after this recent storm if they are holding to that it might not open until next spring.

I’m wondering more about what will happen if multiple Ntl Forrests follow suit and close and then remain closed. A handful of units, especially for limited tag hunts like Moose mentioned above could be dealt with, but large scale actual closures? IDK. Transferring thousands, maybe tens of thousands of tags to the next year? Refunding millions of dollars worth of tags? The game Agency could argue that they aren’t denying you your tag, you have your tag. If the Ntl Forrest are closed, then that’s not the Agency’s decision nor do they have control over access to lands not managed by them. I’m just thinking out loud, but Folks should consider this as a possible outcome.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I got a little over 1" of rain over this past Saturday and Sunday in La Plata Canyon area in 74. However, 2 days later things have about dried out to the point where you can hardly tell it rained.
Something else for anyone planing on hunting in this area is that not only is the NF closed, but so are the BLM lands and State Wildlife Areas. Will be interesting to see what transpires over the next few weeks.

I agree got close to an 1" and a half at my house from last Friday to Sunday and by Monday evening you could hardly tell it rained and by today there is dust when you drive on the subdivision roads

I don’t do any social media so that makes sense. I have the day off so Im sure it’ll be briefed this morning and we will have to go take down all the signs we put up a week ago.