Why not East?

not much trophy potential in SE states that allow 6 bucks a day for 6 months of the year.

G
Have you read any regs for SE states lately?

Mississippi can grow some big deer.

Alabama can grow some big deer.

Tennessee can grow some big deer.

Georgia can grow some big deer.

But you're right...all they do in the SE is just kill off all the bucks for 6 months a year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
not much trophy potential in SE states that allow 6 bucks a day for 6 months of the year.

G

Ya I agree there. But the south has different mind set on hunting it seem to me. I don’t think most people I know would trade a short season for 1 trophy deer a year and two week season. Matter of fact people would probably flip out. Honestly growing up hunting as much as we get to I don’t know I want that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
I don't hunt but hike and backpack a lot. The Adirondacks were as difficult as any place I've ever hiked. It's wet, lots of rocks, blowdown, tree roots, and you're always under the canopy of trees. It's much darker. You generally can't see very far ahead with all the trees and vegetation.

To go in 4-10 miles, you will be going up and over a number of peaks and hills. Things are always up and down. Very little is flat. You better know how to read a map and know your terrain features and how they align with your map. You can't triangulate to determine your location because you're under the canopy of trees. To shoot an azimuth you need to ascend to a summit. You'll use observational navigation using terrain association for almost all of your movement in the woods.

George

Lil-Rokslider

But you're right...all they do in the SE is just kill off all the bucks for 6 months a year.

Not what I said.

George

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I agree there. But the south has different mind set on hunting it seem to me. I don’t think most people I know would trade a short season for 1 trophy deer a year and two week season. Matter of fact people would probably flip out. Honestly growing up hunting as much as we get to I don’t know I want that either.

I wouldn't be happy either in a 1 buck whitetail state.

G

Poser

WKR

You also have to consider the whitetail densities in some of these states. It’s estimated that MS has 2 million Whitetails. That’s with a relatively high hunting population, long seasons, deer doggin’ and poaching galore.

IMO, I think there several different factors.

I lived in the Ouachita mtn region of Arkansas myself, up until aboUT 3 years ago till I moved here. I probaly wouldn't consider going west to hunt elk if that region had a huntable population of elk. That being said, why would folks drive 20hrs east to hunt what is in their backyard?

None the less, you have to factor in the cost as well. While yes I'd spend the money to hunt alot more different locations if I could, but for example I could not justify the cost to go west to duck hunt, when there are just as good if not better opportunities alot closer.

While Arkansas isn't known for its big game hunting, it is known for some of the best green timber duck hunting in the world. Just go to the scatters any morning and count the out state license plate. If other states had that quality of duck hunting, they most likely would not travel for it.

While it's not big game, it's the same concept though.

George

Lil-Rokslider

Ok, I looked and it looks like most states are down to 2 or 3 bucks a year instead of 6 bucks a day, sorry for my ignorance.

G

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Once you get past the Mississippi it's a waste of your time.
No challenge, little bucks, and people everywhere.
I'd stick to CO otc Elk.

I'll take that bet, I challenge you to come kill a mature whitetail buck in the Virginia/West Virginia Highlands on public land, each year u don't kill a 4-5 year old whitetail you pay me $100, If you do kill a mature whitetail i pay you $100 at the end of 5 years lets see who has the most money.

Seriously though tagging a mature whitetail on public land here is one if the toughest hunting challenges you can find

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
While Arkansas isn't known for its big game hunting, it is known for some of the best green timber duck hunting in the world. Just go to the scatters any morning and count the out state license plate. If other states had that quality of duck hunting, they most likely would not travel for it.

While it's not big game, it's the same concept though.

No ducks in Arkansas. It’s a barren waste land with no water or trees. Banjo music and overalls everywhere. Missouri and Mississippi has the ducks and nice civilized people. Our wetlands are alligator and snake infested.

No ducks in Arkansas. It’s a barren waste land with no water or trees. Banjo music and overalls everywhere. Missouri and Mississippi has the ducks and nice civilized people. Our wetlands are alligator and snake infested.

Lol.

What part of AR ya from?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think it comes down to the fact that there's plenty of OTC opportunity out west without driving east and without needing to draw anything. Let's be honest, you can hunt OTC deer, bear, elk throughout the west with fewer people on much larger tracts of land... And probably at higher success rates too. I saw more whitetail in one sit in Montana last year than I do in some seasons out east. For those of us living out here - it's a different story. Make the most of what you have....

Unless of course you want a real trophy black bear. From what I've seen they do get much bigger in areas of the east. I think the record is 900+ pounds from New Brunswick, and most of the biggest bears in the record books coming from PA.
They kill 600lb bears every year in east TN, and coastal bears in NC can top 800-900 lbs. TN you can shoot 3 does PER DAY from end of Sep til early January. I see tons of deer in MT , but you get to shoot a couple per year, and like back east most are on private. Pretty much the western 2/3 of Tennessee is where you can stack does, and a lot of farmers welcome hunters to save their beans. Big difference in paying $500 to shoot one deer out here, and paying $350 or so back east and shooting a truckload.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

River valley. Not far from fort smith area. We really don’t have the famed duck hunting but still good.

Nice to see a fella Arkie on here. I grew up & lived a little just north of Hot water town. I tell ya, I sure miss them hills. I wish I could find some work in my industry back home and move back!

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
Nice to see a fella Arkie on here. I grew up & lived a little just north of Hot water town. I tell ya, I sure miss them hills. I wish I could find some work in my industry back home and move back!

Awesome part of the country for sure

They kill 600lb bears every year in east TN, and coastal bears in NC can top 800-900 lbs. TN you can shoot 3 does PER DAY from end of Sep til early January. I see tons of deer in MT , but you get to shoot a couple per year, and like back east most are on private. Pretty much the western 2/3 of Tennessee is where you can stack does, and a lot of farmers welcome hunters to save their beans. Big difference in paying $500 to shoot one deer out here, and paying $350 or so back east and shooting a truckload.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shhh, if you keep telling people about big bears, and lots of deer they will want to come over here.

Oregon

WKR
I’ve been looking for a forum that is east whitetail/turkey heavy with a good population of folks from the west that posts. Can someone post a link?

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
I’ve been looking for a forum that is east whitetail/turkey heavy with a good population of folks from the west that posts. Can someone post a link?

Habitattalk. We love telling westies how to properly set corn piles.

Poser

WKR
Habitattalk. We love telling westies how to properly set corn piles.

-Turn the dogs loose
-Drink beer
-When you see that the dogs are going to cross a road, drive to that spot (with a army of beer drinkers in the back of the truck) and wait.
-Trespass liberally to retrieve your dogs.

No forum necessary

I'll take that bet, I challenge you to come kill a mature whitetail buck in the Virginia/West Virginia Highlands on public land, each year u don't kill a 4-5 year old whitetail you pay me $100, If you do kill a mature whitetail i pay you $100 at the end of 5 years lets see who has the most money.

Seriously though tagging a mature whitetail on public land here is one if the toughest hunting challenges you can find

I was being a smart azz. I hunt PA public mountains and bow killed a 4 1/2 the last three years.

Edit: And my apologies for the misdirect with my post.

Last edited: