Why not East?

A Eastern hunter and a Western hunter walk into a bar. Which is the first to leave with a woman?

The eastern guy for sure.
He's spent countless hours studying the area and already has her patterned.
It's over before the western guy gets his binos out.
He likely has a hand full of tags and is taking more than one with him. :cool:

Poser

WKR
The eastern guy for sure.
He's spent countless hours studying the area and already has her patterned.
It's over before the western guy gets his binos out.
He likely has a hand full of tags and is taking more than one with him. :cool:

He had a bait station set up with Starbucks Frappuccino and Pomegranate salad with cameras at all of the travel corridors. Meanwhile, the Western Hunter is sitting at the Cul De Sac at the end of the street trying to catch a glimpse.

He had a bait station set up with Starbucks Frappuccino and Pomegranate salad with cameras at all of the travel corridors. Meanwhile, the Western Hunter is sitting at the Cul De Sac at the end of the street trying to catch a glimpse.
My bad. I didn't know we were hunting Colorado. LOL
And I'd swap out my wrangler for skinny jeans.

Good fun.

Billinsd

WKR
East of the Mississippi? I don't really have much interest if any at all. East of San Diego to the Mississippi, heck yes!!! I don't like heavily forested and/or brushy areas at all. I hate West Coast liberal states and believe East Coast states are as bad or worse. Another huge issue, is distance, considering, I'm about as far southwest as I can be. My colonial ancestors landed in Delaware and Massachusetts over 300 years ago and have been steadily moving West. I'm a first generation California and I'd like my family and legacy move back east from California a bit.

TheCougar

WKR
For me it comes down to personal preference. I can sit and glass for days on a mountainside, but put me in a tree stand and I get antsy within a couple of hours. I don’t know how those guys do it. I prefer to go to the animals rather than hope they come to me. I also like being mobile. If I wonder what’s over the next ridge, I just go there.

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
-Turn the dogs loose
-Drink beer
-When you see that the dogs are going to cross a road, drive to that spot (with a army of beer drinkers in the back of the truck) and wait.
-Trespass liberally to retrieve your dogs.

No forum necessary

See this is what I’m saying. Just so sad. ☝️
Son not any dog will run. That’s another topic
Then everybody knows ya don’t ride in the back with guns
Shooting from roads is illegal so find a field
No need to trespass cause you offer a back strap or couple pounds of catfish fillets

Habitattalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TFP

boom

WKR
East sound great to me.

i have never sat in a treestand in my life. i would love to try it.

and getting an Eastern Turkey with my bow is a must-do!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I was being a smart azz. I hunt PA public mountains and bow killed a 4 1/2 the last three years.

Edit: And my apologies for the misdirect with my post.

Ha!! so was I lol

Well you know all about hunting the mtns here like me, not much difference in PA and WV/VA, except ya'll have had the antler restrictions longer and it's working out nice for ya!!!

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say that any hunter that can successfully hunt eastern turkeys (in the eastern US) year after year has the hunting skill set to take any game in the US.

Also learning to watch the wind and understand how thermals work and wind patterns in creek bottoms and other thicker forest geography situations present in the east makes you a better hunter-particularly archery hunters that get super close to deer.

I would say that western hunters as a general rule have to be in better physical condition and also need to learn to shoot effectively at longer distances. That said-Kenny Jarrett has his rifle shop in a small town in South Carolina. He produces one of the most accurate riles anywhere and he has something like 15 world records in bench rest shooting.

The west has an allure of being able to see game at great distances-but I like the hardwood trees in the fall in the east. New England in the fall is something everybody should see at least once

Macintosh

WKR
Having grown up in the Adirondacks in northern New York and now living in Northern New England, I have to admit it chafes me more than a little bit to hear so many people, both Westerners and easterners, make generalized comments about how much private land there is in the east, about how short the approaches are, about how it’s just tree stands and shoot houses, etc. The Adirondacks is 6,000,000 acres, most of it public land managed more or less as wilderness. Outside of my backyard where I walk to hunt (small 300 acres public land spot), it’s been three or four years since I encountered another hunter in the woods. The deer densities are shockingly low compared to almost anywhere else in the country east or west, and success rates are below 10%... if success in harvesting a critter was my objective I certainly wouldn’t travel to hunt here. But if you can get over that part, you can have an ass kicking good time tracking a deer in the snow. I can completely understand people not wanting to hunt in the thick woods where you can’t see more than 50 or 80 yards , So it’s not that I think western hunting is any less or more, any easier or anything like that, it just bugs me a little that people characterize the east the way they so often do. I think it’s tv and video that is so easy to film from a stand and more productive where there are a ton of deer (lowland mid Atlantic and southeast, southern New England, etc) coupled with the much larger population south of me, that reinforce this impression. Spending two weeks in the woods and seeing only a handful of deer and no shots at a legal buck is discouraging, there are definitely times when it feels more like beating your head against a wall than hunting! But I truly think if you can do this successfully you can hunt anywhere successfully (that’s not me!!). If it wasn’t in my back yard and I had to travel to hunt I probably 1) wouldn’t hunt much, I’d find something else to do, and 2) would go somewhere with a higher success rate and better visibility.

Last edited:

R_burg

WKR
I grew up in upstate NY. I now live in AZ.

Hunting the Adirondacks *is* extremely difficult. So is learning how to spot and stalk a Coues deer with a damn bow though. All parts of the country have their own challenges.

When I go home I do hunt tree stands because I enjoy it and I enjoy bow hunting more than gun hunting, but its no layup. Its pretty damn hard actually. Densities are a lot lower than you find in the Midwest. I hunted WI last yr and took a nice mid 130s bucks and I had never seen a pre rut like that in my life.

Sure, in NY I can take a doe but its no guarantee I see a buck. And you have days where you see nothing. In this way there might not be a comparison how much more taxing it can be mentally at times. Even on my hardest days out west I see wildlife.

But I don't think that means you should travel to hunt there. In all honesty I'd go to the Midwest for whitetail rather than the Northeast.

One last tidbit... Hunting whitetail in CO or Nebraska is nothing like hunting them in WI, Michigan or NY. Not even close. Its a totally different type of hunting.

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Well only speaking from my own personal experience. I manage an archery shop here in Arizona and I have dealt with many customers who are both local the travel out of state and those who are out of state they come in here to hunt. I am not upset by out-of-state residents applying for tags and getting drawn that does not bother me one bit. Many of the people that I have spoken with who are from out-of-state that live back east or know someone back he's have all made the comment that without having a land lease or an inside connection that hunting becomes much more difficult and realistically seems to become pure luck of stumbling across where an animal is. I myself would be very interested in going back east but without having any connections I have not pursued that yet.

Whisky

WKR
I didn't read the posts and I'm sure this has been mentioned...

But for me, Why not East? Cuz hunting whitetails is boring as shit....

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Well only speaking from my own personal experience. I manage an archery shop here in Arizona and I have dealt with many customers who are both local the travel out of state and those who are out of state they come in here to hunt. I am not upset by out-of-state residents applying for tags and getting drawn that does not bother me one bit. Many of the people that I have spoken with who are from out-of-state that live back east or know someone back he's have all made the comment that without having a land lease or an inside connection that hunting becomes much more difficult and realistically seems to become pure luck of stumbling across where an animal is. I myself would be very interested in going back east but without having any connections I have not pursued that yet.

Where at in AZ your shop located? Might be coming to hunt OTC Muleys in January. If you ever want to hunt PA I could help point you in the right direction, I run trail cams on National Forest and State Game Lands as a hobby. I only hunt bear and NY whitetail on public.

Off topic from hunting but judging by your username are you into cars as well? I have a couple mustangs.

Last edited:

R_burg

WKR
I don't understand these comments. The northeast isnt Texas. Theres tons of public land to hunt in the northeast, especially NY.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, great contribution to the thread. Have you ever hunted mountain whitetails? Anywhere? That's certainly not boring. You're right, you didn't read any of the posts, and it shows.
I didn't read the posts and I'm sure this has been mentioned...

But for me, Why not East? Cuz hunting whitetails is boring as shit....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk