Not nearly a big enough sentance

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Game law violations across the US have far to lenient punishments. This is an ongoing problem and probably explains who there are habitual poachers out there. If they broke the law when they had a license, what makes you think they will not continue to poach when they do not have a license.

I'm going to make an unpopular statement, but from what I read he was found guilty of wasting meat, and lying about wasting meat. That means he is spending 30 days in jail, and paying a $35,000 fine for leaving meat that was already paid for via tags. Seems to be a pretty stiff sentence.

I'm going to make an unpopular statement, but from what I read he was found guilty of wasting meat, and lying about wasting meat. That means he is spending 30 days in jail, and paying a $35,000 fine for leaving meat that was already paid for via tags. Seems to be a pretty stiff sentence.

Buying a "tag" has no equivallency to paying for meat.

How can one morally justify killing a prey animal and letting the meat rot via paying for a tag?

Maybe it's because I've had a few +21 beverages, but I get exactly what he's saying. The tags cost "x"$'s. The state assigns that value, and in my mind is saying, "this is what that animal is worth to us". The tag was paid for, so the state was compensated for the price tag they put on that animal.

For the record, I damn sure don't condone, nor have I practiced the wasting of game meat(except the occasional bag of freezer burned game that got fed to dogs), but I do see where Backpack Hunter is coming from.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I've had a few +21 beverages, but I get exactly what he's saying. The tags cost "x"$'s. The state assigns that value, and in my mind is saying, "this is what that animal is worth to us". The tag was paid for, so the state was compensated for the price tag they out on that animal.

For the record, I damn sure don't condone, nor have I practiced the wasting of game meat(except the occasional bag of freezer burned game that got fed to dogs), but I do see where Backpack Hunter is coming from.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No, the opportunity to take the animal is worth the price of the tag. Should you harvest you get the bonus of the animal for your hard work. That is why wanton waste fines exist. The animal itself is worth much more than the tag.

From what I read it sounds like he wasn't the shooter but participated in and allowed the game to be wasted.

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
Maybe I'm way off here but my understanding is he was the guidel the hunters killed butchered and hung all the meat up in game bags. The guide them picked them up and promised to quickly return to get the meat out but instead left it to rot. The hunters were charged with wasting meat and had to prove they butchered the animal and had everything waiting for the Guide and he did nt due his part. There was alot more to the story wrong with the guide but we're not talking about the hunters but the guide that screwed up.

Buying a "tag" has no equivallency to paying for meat.

How can one morally justify killing a prey animal and letting the meat rot via paying for a tag?
I think it was summed up fairly well previously in this thread, but buying a tag is the hunters license to kill. After the kill the state which has just sold off an asset has no more right to it.
The morality of wasting meat should not come into play in the law.
I'll go read the provided link now.

Esse quam videri

Well it didn't take long to read both links provided. Seems like the guy wasted clients meat, and or allowed the killing of a non legal animal. That changes things quite a bit. In light of this it does seem his sentence is quite lenient.

Esse quam videri