Etiquette and common sense when asking about hunting areas/information on Rokslide.

sndmn11

WKR
If one is talking about etiquette, I think an important piece is following up with the person who provided the information. We are not able to hunt every place we know, but if we get feedback that we have been polite enough to provide, then it is basically an in season scouting report that is half as good as hunting it yourself.

TheCougar

WKR
Why do so many of these posts focus on “areas”? When I ask information, I don’t need to know where your spot is. Im already going to the unit, so telling me nothing doesn’t keep me away. I’m looking for information that can help me find MY spot. For example, if a guy asked about a notional AZ elk unit, I would tell him: elk densities are low, but bulls are big. They are in pockets. Find a pocket and stick with them. It can be a very tough hunt. In archery season, all the elk I saw were down low. I never hunted the tops, but I didn’t see or hear anything up there and they seemed to all be down lower. The south side is completely blocked by private and tough to get to. Watch out for rattlesnakes!!! Most roads are fine by truck, but some of the older roads are not truck friendly. There is more water than you think, and the elk seemed to be within a mile or two of the water I found. Lots of places to camp everywhere and there is a small general store about 20 minutes from the base of the mountain.

I didn’t give away a spot, but I probably saved the dude 3 days figuring out the elk aren’t on the top of the mountain. He has an idea of what to expect, where not to look, and a few ideas to focus on. I’d happily PM a guy with general info like that. Guys are so scared of losing something they don’t own. All it takes is for a YouTuber to show up in your unit and you are screwed anyway. I guess I’m just saying that you don’t need to share your honey hole or divulge closely guarded information. Websites, satellite imagery, game and fish, and talking to game wardens only takes you so far, and hearing from guys who have been where you are going can be a valuable reasource to helping you maximize your time in the woods.

Great post and discussion.
I think there is a difference between OTC or easy to draw units vs OIL or very low odds units.

I saw a post on here where someone drew an awesome tag that I had hunted before...so I PM'd him.
Gave him every piece of info I had to help him get in on the exact animal I was after but never harvested.
If he kills him I will be completely pumped! Plus I am assuming he will send me pics! haha
I know I wont be drawing that unit in the next 20-30yrs so I don't care about giving the into...BUT...I PM'd him and then we chatted on cell phone and text a few times...I wouldn't post that info for public viewing.

Now if we are talking OTC my lips are sealed

TheCougar

WKR
Great post and discussion.
I think there is a difference between OTC or easy to draw units vs OIL or very low odds units.

I saw a post on here where someone drew an awesome tag that I had hunted before...so I PM'd him.
Gave him every piece of info I had to help him get in on the exact animal I was after but never harvested.
If he kills him I will be completely pumped! Plus I am assuming he will send me pics! haha
I know I wont be drawing that unit in the next 20-30yrs so I don't care about giving the into...BUT...I PM'd him and then we chatted on cell phone and text a few times...I wouldn't post that info for public viewing.

Now if we are talking OTC my lips are sealed

Completely agree with everything you said, except the last line! I’m not advocating giving away a spot - I hate that this thread even talks about spots- but I will certainly help a guy with general advice and at least tell him where to NOT look and help him save a couple of days learning the hard way - even an OTC unit. Maybe that makes me an traitor or my mom dropped me on my head as a kid.

Gobbler36

WKR
I cringe when I see unit numbers on this site much less areas within a unit.
I also believe a lot of this has to do with what kinds of hunts we are asking about OTC tags or easy to draw tags, get the **** out of here don’t even come around asking where to go or how to hunt, I ain’t saying shit. Once in a Lifetimeor super limited unit tags where it’s very very limited I feel it’s fine to ask questions via pm but still don’t put the unit number out on the web , it’s simply not fair for people who wish to apply in the future to have draw odds lessened because Joe Shmoe reads it and tells all is his buddies to apply there.

Point is we got too many businesses and too many people promoting themselves or company at the sake of good quality hunting that now everyone thinks they are a “train to hunt” backcountry billy bad ass that needs to go hunt elk but don’t wanna put in the real work an OTC hunt requires to be successful. If only I could of been alive to hunt during the good ol days before it got cool

Jardo

WKR
May as well ask me if you can sleep with my wife! I'd prolly let you do that before telling you about my spots...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Interesting post and interesting opinions, both ways.

I can only speak for myself with my opinion, I am an easterner, who joined this forum looking for information for hunting out west. Like most I lurked and read for probably 6 months before I even began posting much. I am lucky that I had ran a forum for Virginia Hunting so i knew not to just jump in with my first post, being "hey I wanna go outwest and tell me where to go type deal", had seen it happen way to many times on my forum as well, even though it was a small one dealing with just one state. My answer to guys like that was always "stick around and post some get to know people and once they trust you, they might be more willing to help ya out" So yes there is an "forum etiquette" to asking about hunting spots/areas/leases etc.

My personal experience with asking about specific areas on here (yes I have made posts asking about regions or specific units) is that, I think I just want to hear the words "yeah thats a good area to go" or "you will have fun there", because that builds my confidence, that my research is paying off. I dont really need someone to answer my post and tell me GPS coordinates, just some confirmation that I am on the right track. Of course some people have answered to specific areas "I would rather go to the dentist than hunt that area" or flat out "that area sucks" or "very little public access there, tough hunt" and I am just as appreciative of those answers as well, as it lets me know, I am researching the wrong area lol

All that being said, I have had some people nice enough to PM me, more detailed answers than "yeah thats a good area" and I am just as appreciative of that as well.

Like I said that's just ME and my opinions on what I am looking for when I ask about certain areas. others may be different.

SO yes, there should be forum etiquette. But I think to a degree we should all be helpful to one another if we can be. Not necessarily giving away one's honey holes, but point others in the right direction, mostly by private message.

For example I saw a guy in the whitetail forum, post that he is planning a hunt to the bow only counties in West Virginia. I told him to PM me if he wanted some info, and I will darn near give him GPS coordinates to a couple places I know of, I dont hunt those spots, but saw plenty of deer sign there while coon hunting with my dad. So why wouldnt I help a guy out in that situation?

Also something to keep in mind.....When I first started going to Georgia, a guy who works on the public land where we hunt, helped us out greatly and would send u us to spots he knew had pigs in them, We scored several pigs based on his direction etc. and he even would come out and take us to spots he knew of etc. One evening I asked him, "you know alot of people wouldnt even help others out this way, why do you do it" (as his facebook was loaded with pics of guys killing hogs for the first time) and replied "Well I believe in Karma, It seem that the more I help people, the more it comes back on me with good luck it seems when it comes to hunting" and this guys kills tons of hogs and some truly monster bucks for Georgia public land.

So simply based on that, I try to help people as much as I can when it comes to hunting, if I can help someone out, I truly beleive it comes back on you tenfold, Karma

Last edited:
In the end I think it comes down to a balancing act. If you're gonna accept help, keep it equitable. You may or may not compensate the person assisting you directly but you must help others so you are deserving of assistance yourself. I've helped a lot of people and received quite a bit of help. Karma. If all you wanna do is take without working or giving back, that's not cool.

Interesting post and interesting opinions, both ways.

I can only speak for myself with my opinion, I am an easterner, who joined this forum looking for information for hunting out west. Like most I lurked and read for probably 6 months before I even began posting much. I am lucky that I had ran a forum for Virginia Hunting so i knew not to just jump in with my first post, being "hey I wanna go outwest and tell me where to go type deal", had seen it happen way to many times on my forum as well, even though it was a small one dealing with just one state. My answer to guys like that was always "stick around and post some get to know people and once they trust you, they might be more willing to help ya out" So yes there is an "forum etiquette" to asking about hunting spots/areas/leases etc.

My personal experience with asking about specific areas on here (yes I have made posts asking about regions or specific units) is that, I think I just want to hear the words "yeah thats a good area to go" or "you will have fun there", because that builds my confidence, that my research is paying off. I dont really need someone to answer my post and tell me GPS coordinates, just some confirmation that I am on the right track. Of course some people have answered to specific areas "I would rather go to the dentist than hunt that area" or flat out "that area sucks" or "very little public access there, tough hunt" and I am just as appreciative of those answers as well, as it lets me know, I am researching the wrong area lol

All that being said, I have had some people nice enough to PM me, more detailed answers than "yeah thats a good area" and I am just as appreciative of that as well.

Like I said that's just ME and my opinions on what I am looking for when I ask about certain areas. others may be different.

SO yes, there should be forum etiquette. But I think to a degree we should all be helpful to one another if we can be. Not necessarily giving away one's honey holes, but point others in the right direction, mostly by private message.

For example I saw a guy in the whitetail forum, post that he is planning a hunt to the bow only counties in West Virginia. I told him to PM me if he wanted some info, and I will darn near give him GPS coordinates to a couple places I know of, I dont hunt those spots, but saw plenty of deer sign there while coon hunting with my dad. So why wouldnt I help a guy out in that situation?

Also something to keep in mind.....When I first started going to Georgia, a guy who works on the public land where we hunt, helped us out greatly and would send u us to spots he knew had pigs in them, We scored several pigs based on his direction etc. and he even would come out and take us to spots he knew of etc. One evening I asked him, "you know alot of people wouldnt even help others out this way, why do you do it" (as his facebook was loaded with pics of guys killing hogs for the first time) and replied "Well I believe in Karma, It seem that the more I help people, the more it comes back on me with good luck it seems when it comes to hunting" and this guys kills tons of hogs and some truly monster bucks for Georgia public land.

So simply based on that, I try to help people as much as I can when it comes to hunting, if I can help someone out, I truly beleive it comes back on you tenfold, Karma

Another good attitude, and happy to see it here. I drew a good tag (to me) for antelope in WY this year, and after all the negativity and general bad attitude towards giving advice, i wouldnt even bother asking what kinds of animals i can expect and if its safe leaving trailers at trailheads or if rattlesnakes are an issue. Ill leave those questions for biologists and conservation officers.
I like to feel like im a helpful person, and i in turn attract that to myself. I dont get all the negativity around here towards guys that are trying to fill the freezer and make memories just like the rest of us. If its public area and you hunt it often, i can sure see how you dont wanna give away your spots. If you cant just refrain from giving specifics, and instead try to roast a guy for wording his question the wrong way, it just brings the forum down. Crickets chirping when someone asks a stupid question is just as good of a deterrent as a bunch of nasty comments. Maybe im getting old, but i just have less and less tolerance for rudeness if theres no malice intended.
Help if you can, otherwise walk away. The forum and the community grow when people feel included. The best people i know are hunting and gun guys and i treat all of them accordingly.

Thats my rant for the day.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to some, this guy [post #8] is gonna have LOTS of Karma -

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/elk/98432-co-unit-82-looking-info.html

WTF

As much as I do not want to see people get bashed for asking or providing info---the response with turn by turn directions was not something we should do on an open forum. Too much open information. Please use PMs when sending this information and of you are asking why not state in your post for folks to send a PM rather than putting this out there.

*** REMEMBER---anyone can come to our site and get this info. You do not have to be registered to view this so anyone can see this and that is not a good thing. If only RokslIders saw this then maybe but even then be discreet PLEASE!

Heck I’m guilty. I won’t do it again. I’ll just focus on generic stuff. It makes sense that it is a bit rude to just ask for information that you should be learning yourself through “boots on the ground” experience. It is definitely daunting to plan a hunting trip 19 hours from home, but when it is cheaper to hunt out-of-state OTC elk than it is to hunt whitetails in your home county, I’ll spend my time and money on the mountains any day!

bigmoose

WKR
I've been following this thread and thought I'd share my thoughts. I like that you can see if the guy asking has just joined and it's one of his first posts. That's a big clue as to how much info he's going to get. Nobody likes it. I'm not saying he's not worthy I'm just saying I don't know this guy. There are some guys who have joined years ago and not posted much for whatever reason. I will PM this guy and try to feel him out. I don't have any problem helping out others when I can especially if they're solo or hunting with one or two other guys. I will try and help with general ideas and maybe a few specific drainages or mountains. The biggest problem for guys hunting new areas is that tags are getting harder and harder to get, often limiting how many times you can hunt the area given the points it takes for the tag. It may be several years before you can get another tag. This makes it pretty tough to get to know the area. I think we all would like to have successful hunts given the time, money, and effort we put in. Even researching hunting forums count.

I"m in a little different position than most on here as I'm 68. But given I've been a life long deer hunter, I've hunted lots of places in most of the western states and worn out lots of boots over the years. One of the places I've hunted has become almost a once in a lifetime type hunt and I'm not young enough to play the points game anymore. With these type of hunts I may give more specific info because who ever draws may need all the help they can get and I do like to see these tag holders be successful. I would only PM guys or e-mail.

I only ask in return that he will let me know how they did...maybe send a photo or two. Most have done this. Anyway, I agree with what most of you guys have said. The OP's comment was well thought out as were a few others.

There are a great group of guys on here that share a lot of knowledge on most any subject. I even had a member give me GPS coordinates for a couple bucks he had seen while scouting a area that I drew. LOL!

I don't get asking for "spots" as if the animals are just going to be standing there when you go. Everyone has honey holes, sure, but think about it... the animals are there, but you have luck with it because you know how to hunt it.

lif

WKR
I first thought this was a post of the usual cranky forum members bitching about social media ON social media. But after reading all the posts, there is clearly an etiquette that should be followed, most importantly by the person who are giving the info. I believe anyone should be able to ask for help and anyone can ignore that person if they choose to. As posted before, birds chirping after asking a question is a good enough answer to a shitty question. I will say that I have been fortunate enough to meet two great guys on here over the last few years that helped me a ton with a couple new areas I was heading to and I am very thankful for that. Buuuttttttt,, posting specifics on the public threads is not cool. Private messages are the way to go for details. Respect for others. This forum is an awesome resource we all have and we should all work together as peers. I am always willing to help others but not detailed info on the public thread. Good discussion.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy helping nr hunters when I can. I will not do it on a public forum but will either on the phone or in person. I have made some really good life long friends by doing so. And have been invited to the neck of the woods for other adventures such as fishing or skiing. There have been a few that I declined to help after taking their measure.

boom

WKR
i've been helped and i have helped.

i typically do something like a local pig hunt. get to know the person. it's pretty clear early on, if we are gonna get along. if so, then..yea, i will show them some spots.

i have made some good friends off of forums.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
As an easterner that moved west several years ago. I’ve kind of come full circle on this, hunting the 80 acre lease my family has in Tennessee and the vast expanses of public land out here are two entirely different balls of wax. I agree that guys should be asking about animal behavior, habitat characteristics, and tactics more than spots. It has taken me a long time to learn what I’ve learned and I’m still very much “getting there”. But each season has been better than the last for me and I now see, after putting in a SHIT LOAD of time and work for myself why guys are tight lipped. Just this weekend I was getting back to the trail head after a quick overnight scouting trip and a guy noticed my camo shirt bino harness and asked me if I found any good sign. I replied “wolf tracks and bear shit mostly”. It was one of my most productive scouting trips yet...the guys that have helped me out the most have helped me learn how to find areas that animals want to be in for myself and rule out country that isn’t gonna hold animals.

This is a great discussion topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk