Etiquette and common sense when asking about hunting areas/information on Rokslide.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Written from an Easterner's perspective.

We strive to learn all we can about the game and fish we purse. A big part of that is where to go to have the best chance of success.
I remember a conversation with a wise old hunter years ago. He asked if I knew what made someone a good hunter. His simple answer...a good place to hunt.

If you are looking for advice on the best places to go it seems logical to simply ask right?. After all some big name magazines offer advice for all to see and plenty of websites claim to know exactly where to direct you to find a big bull elk.

So why not ask the Roksliders who have "been there and done that"?

It is really not that simple.

First it is important to understand how hard some folks have worked for years, even decades, to find a spot to chase game without crowds of other hunters to interfere. Many hours, many boot miles and many dollars are spent to gather such intel. Some folks use precious vacation time during the summer to backpack into the high country to scout for a place to hunt. Some live close and others not so close but they sacrifice to find a decent spot to go when the season rolls around. These folks also spend time behind a computer using Google Earth and game and fish stats to further advance their search. Some even pay ($150.00 and up) for sites that offer planning tips and advice.

So should these folks offer you the fruits of their efforts online just for asking? Ask yourself--would you?

It is also important to understand that these folks will protect their knowledge with a degree of secrecy as they should. Some of these spots are good places to go because so few folks go there. Even thought the Western US is a seemingly vast area-much is either not available for hunting or not terribly good for hunting for a specific animal. Hunters also have to contend with mountain bike riders, back country fisherman and other hunters pursing different species at the same time in a given unit.

What should you do then to find a place to hunt?

The best way is to go there and see it firsthand. Pick a few spots, look at G&F stats and then go. Fly or drive. Go fishing or backpacking and get out there. It might not be easy but there is nothing like boots on the ground. If you do go to a new to you area hunting then scout while you hunt. Take photos and notes and ask biologist and others face to face while you are out there.

Guided or semi guided hunts will get you hunting and you can take a few extra days once your hunt is over to look around for yourself for future hunts.

Read up on the critters you want to go after. Do research online. Call wardens and biologist and be prepared with a few good brief questions for them. Look at a pay for info site to assist you with planning.

So best practice is not to ask for too many specifics when looking at a hunt area. Honestly if someone I don't personally know freely gives me suggestions about where in detail to go I would wonder why. Chances are they really do not know and just like to give advice--bad advice many times.

It might take 2 or 3 unsuccessful hunts to hone your skills and learn an area. Don't get stressed about killing an animal on your first trip. Get out there and you may find you can answer most of your questions by just being there.

jhm2023

WKR
Agreed. I once saw several people asking "where to go" to kill a grizz on a particular facebook hunting group. I posted a picture of the grizzly bears range of habitat from the fish and game website. You wouldn't believe how many people got mad at me. Not very many people are willing to put in the work it seems.

I think this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion. If the western guru’s can’t ignore a post that might cause problems if they answer it on the WWW, then we are giving them too much credit. However, when someone or, 20 people jump on a guy asking a question about a unit, I think that pretty clearly shows that some of them are doing it in a protective practice. Which is obvious to me.

I know how great out west is. I’ve hunted there. Other people have too. Problem is, with all the bragging by hunters, promotion by markets, websites that depend on the demand for western hunting, etc.... more are wanting to try it. I’ve seen several of the complainers posting stories, kill pics, etc.... Yet, you have the idea a simple question is more harmful. Yeah boy. Get over yourself.

Here’s a hint. Don’t answer the thread. I don’t agree with a way a few people have approached this. But, if you think you are going to post pics, tell stories of kills, gloat about your manly exploits, while all sorts of business markets create an even greater demand and, not have a couple questions thrown your way, then you might not be as smart as you imply. That’s just the way it is. Flame away.

I mean no harm. Just telling it like it is. I have acquired info from certain people. I’ve done it in private too. I do suggest if you are serious about hunting an area, all you eastern guys do the same. And, all you western guys do the same on threads that are over the line.

Last edited:
Agreed. I once saw several people asking "where to go" to kill a grizz on a particular facebook hunting group. I posted a picture of the grizzly bears range of habitat from the fish and game website. You wouldn't believe how many people got mad at me. Not very many people are willing to put in the work it seems.

I have to refrain from posting the appropriate agencies website when people ask regulatory questions.
"Bob from facebook told me this was ok" probably won't hold up with a judge

jspradley

WKR
I have to refrain from posting the appropriate agencies website when people ask regulatory questions.
"Bob from facebook told me this was ok" probably won't hold up with a judge

GAWD I hate that!

It's all over a certain Texas Bowhunting forum I frequent.. "Hey is it legal to X" (often looking for advice on what can be done without a hunting license instead of just buying the damn thing) instead of just looking at the regs themselves.

But I agree with Philos and WVMountaineer, there is a certain etiquette that should be followed but at the same time we shouldn't make a huge deal about noobs (and I firmly consider myself a noob) asking rude questions out of ignorance

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I remember a conversation with a wise old hunter years ago. He asked if I knew what made someone a good hunter. His simple answer...a good place to hunt.

I'd go a different route on that one, and say what makes a good hunter is being able to find the right spot and get it done no matter where he is. Good hunters "make" it happen.

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
my quick take on the matter: If someone is looking for help in an area I know well, and if I feel like they are for real, I send them a quick message. Basically saying 1. I know the unit well 2. if they would like to share the areas they are interested in, send them my way 3. I will let them know my take on the particular area and how I would hunt it. I have only sent a few of those messages and only a couple guys have replied. Id rather someone hunt an area I know the right way than go in blind and blast everything out of there, but then again Id rather have no one hunt in the areas i Know well

Billinsd

WKR
I learned in graduate school how to prepare for a big final of 7 of the 10 classes I'd taken. I told my professors I wanted to emphasize my studying and asked what I should focus on. All were super happy that I visited them and where real generous and helpful. Several months later I visited them again and asked how I could narrow my study focus more and again was pleased!! By about my 3rd visit all my professors basically told me what questions would be on the exam. One Professor a PhD from Stanford who was the laziest engineering professor I'd ever had, said study everthing. However, all his classes were repeats of each other and his exam was easiest by far!! People who are smart and great hunters do not ask questions like, where is the best place to hunt in this unit, or where are the biggest elk in this zone. They do their homework before asking questions demonstrating they are intelligent, sincere, have done their homework and don't ask where is the x questions. Usually the details are provided via pm. That's what I do.

Last edited:

sveltri

WKR
My self centered take on this is that there is virtually no potential for reciprocity and hard earned information being expected to be given away freely and then a lack of respect to withhold that information when done with it. Guys that come to hunt the west probably hunt quite a bit around home, regardless of where home is. Where many of these guys hunt there is very little to no public land and they probably have a couple 40 acre parcels that they get family/community permission to hunt. If we were to want to travel to their hunting grounds by stating that such and such a county looks good, what can you tell me about it? I think its pretty safe to assume that very little or no information would be garnered. Am I wrong? I've yet to see a post from a NR that said something like "Headed west for an OTC elk hunt this, have no idea where to start, but I do have some whitetail property in XX location that I'm willing to trade for information". If it happened I missed it. Wherever I have selected to hunt and have done the leg work to determine its potential to provide makes me think of that as my little 40 acres, I understand its PUBLIC LAND. Which means its available to all to come check out for themselves. Maybe I'm a dick, but that's how I see it.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
My intent here was point out that newer hunters should do some homework and ask questions that do not appear to be intrusive but they should not be afraid to engage others here. We should NOT discourage good hunters who are trying to do this right. There is a tactful way to tell someone to use their mind and do some homework. Or as WV Mountaineer stated-just don't reply to the thread.

Honestly the single biggest difference between (East or West) an inexperienced hunter and an old pro is confidence. It's easy to believe some hunters have an innate ability to locate game and harvest trophy animals will little effort. Just because they have a photograph or two of their trophy kills does not mean they are super hunters. Don't be intimated by the hunting process. I encourage those that do things right to just go and try. It is not as difficult as many make it out to be. Learning how is a huge part of the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment.

I remember my first mule deer hunt and how I could not see any deer with my binoculars. Once I knew to look for those cream colored rumps
I noticed deer were all around and in many places I could not see them before. If you think you have to shoot 600 yards to be successful how do bowhunters tag nice animals every year?

If you can use optics, understand how to play the wind, have basic hunting skills and can shoot out to 200 yards accurately you can take game out west all day long.

Once you go a time or two the mystery starts to unravel. I am not saying it is super easy but if you take deer and turkeys at home on a consistent basis you can take game anywhere.

Btaylor

WKR
New hunters and eastern hunters, which I am I guess, should not get butt hurt about the replies when they ask for a spot. Virtually no one is going to give that away and rightfully so. What I try to do is pay attention to the things that are posted. Most of the answers you need are freely given if you pay attention to what is posted. You can easily tell who has similar hunting styles to your, who are experienced and successful and how they approach all sorts of variables that may impact a hunt. When you identify those guys then shoot them your questions about general qualities of an area like amount of deadfall or water availability.

all good advice. I recently drew a tag in an area i am not real familiar with. I will work hard. I will get in the area and work harder than most. I posted about drawing that area and I am thrilled that a few have reached out and given me some good starting points. I would never ask for a RED X, I would never ask for a honey hole. But I certainly appreciate the advice and likewise I would likely help someone who asked about an area I am familiar with. Generalities are good. I will help someone get in the area. after that it will take work. If someone can take the small amount of advice i give and then put in some foot miles and kill a good critter I will always be thrilled.

M
I remember my first mule deer hunt and how I could not see any deer with my binoculars. Once I knew to look for those cream colored rumps
I noticed deer were all around and in many places I could not see them before. If you think you have to shoot 600 yards to be successful how do bowhunters tag nice animals every year?

learning to look through the skinny end of the glasses helped too didnt it? :)

cnelk

WKR
New hunters and eastern hunters, which I am I guess, should not get butt hurt about the replies when they ask for a spot. Virtually no one is going to give that away and rightfully so. What I try to do is pay attention to the things that are posted. Most of the answers you need are freely given if you pay attention to what is posted. You can easily tell who has similar hunting styles to your, who are experienced and successful and how they approach all sorts of variables that may impact a hunt. When you identify those guys then shoot them your questions about general qualities of an area like amount of deadfall or water availability.

^^^^ Best one yet

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
I have been more than helped on this and a few other forums without getting a 'red x'. I wouldn't even want that to be honest. Living in the east I don't have the time to scout in the offseason (boots on ground scout). It's all I can do to get there for the season. However, I've got a long term approach and very low standards helps :D
I think a lot of the people that want the 'red x' would be better served going on a once in a lifetime guided hunt. I think too many read about this guy or that guy getting it done and forget about the work going into it.
I'm ok getting 'skunked', I learned what not to do. The process/journey is the fun.

ncstewart

WKR
From a public land hunter point of view.

Don’t ask about an area. Anywhere you go in the states that’s easy area to get tags or that’s OTC no one in their right mind is gonna give you a spot. Look at a map and just go do it. I understand people feel unsure about doing something new but heck that’s the fun in it. That’s why I prefer to hunt new area. It’s an adventure and if a guy hunts hard odds are you gonna have opportunity. And if ya don’t you will learn. People need to stop counting inches and just go hunt and enjoy the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
My point of view is ask if you want to that bad.

But if your a guy giving out any info, please do so in private form. Out of respect for other hunters that may utilize the area. Putting up locations publically on forums or social media makes for ruined hunting spots.

I'm glad places I hunt are not brought up every week on the net. I'll happily help someone out if I feel their intentions are true, but won't give out a free handout on a tag everyone can get.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking from my own expeirence starting to hunt out West I think part of the problem is a lot of Easteners, myself included don’t realize how small the West is. By this I mean how small the game filled areas are. We’re used to hunting 40 acres and seeing someone sit across the corn field from us so hearing a unit with 1000s of acres I think most don’t realize how fast the good areas fill up between other hunters, non hunting pressure, roads, development, terrain, and unproductive habitat. So many don’t think it’s that big of deal and that there’s plenty of room for everyone until you gain some more perspective. Just a thought.