Ca. hunt draw is up...

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
For the few of us stuck in this anti-hunting state, the draw is up,.... good luck to all, we pulled G1 tags, no luck in the big 3.
Mike

boom

WKR
my dance card is full.

i went for the point and my archery only tag..we found a spot with a great population!! hope we are the only ones.

and just looked. no-go on my grizzly island elk. haha..PHEW! i had to be in LA for my mom's 80th Bday party.

Good day to be my kid
9444a3cae0a356db4ebe555d51241d77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
just HOW MANY point do you think it would take to draw one of those Grizzly Island elk tags.

i just might be an old man when i draw.

just HOW MANY point do you think it would take to draw one of those Grizzly Island elk tags.

i just might be an old man when i draw.
right now it is still taking maximum points which was 16. if they dont change the tag allotment system it will likely always go to someone with maximum points. It really sucks for people who started hunting or moved into the state after they started the point process.

A zone for me but I might pick up an AO tag as well. I've got a WY hunt planned that coincided with the CA seasons. I'll probably look at burning my points (5) next year.

Now, a little rant. It is a ******* travesty that there will NEVER be decent opportunity for anybody but max point holders to draw elk/antelope/sheep tags in CA. I would hope someday, the CDFW would change it to a 50% random allocation to at least give non-max point holders a better chance.

530Chukar

WKR
right now it is still taking maximum points which was 16. if they dont change the tag allotment system it will likely always go to someone with maximum points. It really sucks for people who started hunting or moved into the state after they started the point process.

It still sucks for those of us that have been putting in since the beginning of the point system. I’m at 17 points for elk and antelope now without much hope in sight. If you’re one point behind you’re looking at probably another ten years before being able to draw. It’s pointless for any new hunters to get into the system now, they could start putting in this year and probably never draw in their lifetime.

It still sucks for those of us that have been putting in since the beginning of the point system. I’m at 17 points for elk and antelope now without much hope in sight. If you’re one point behind you’re looking at probably another ten years before being able to draw. It’s pointless for any new hunters to get into the system now, they could start putting in this year and probably never draw in their lifetime.

Yep. Agree 100%.

Other states have max point only/unontainium tags but there are opportunities to hunt regardless of how many points you have. In CA, you virtually will never have a chance to hunt any elk or pronghorn without max points. If there wasn't a random draw chance, I wouldn't even waste the $8 to apply and get the PP.

Yah for elk, pronghorn and sheep one point behind may as well be 15 behind... its as good as zero points. They give enough deer tags out that those max points holders are all getting drawn. For the others the point system sucks and needs to change

SloMoPete

FNG
Points for elk/sheep/antelope (even though it sounds like I will probably never draw lol)

Got D6 again as a 2nd choice. I think I found a decent spot last year, excited to get back out there.

bigmoose

WKR
X zone for me. Looking forward to it. Going to be a fun hunt!

You guys talking about antelope. My buddy finally drew (a couple years ago) after applying for 40 years! Both his kids drew in 2 years. Go figure...

Well struck out on A30 again and it pisses me off that I had to get a B zone as my second choice. I usually get the D6 and buy the B OTC. Now I have to wait until August to see if I can get the D6. Otherwise I’ll proba get an AO

2backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Yah for elk, pronghorn and sheep one point behind may as well be 15 behind... its as good as zero points. They give enough deer tags out that those max points holders are all getting drawn. For the others the point system sucks and needs to change

I agree without max points for the big three you are dead in the water and there's about zero odds of drawing, I would like to see it changed to the bonus point system similar to Nevada and Arizona instead of the preference point system so at least everyone with points accumulated over the years would have a chance regardless of 1 point or 17 max points.

I'm sure someone with max points will disagree and that's fine but there odds would still be way better than someone with 1 point..... 17 raffle tickets would be better odds than only a few tickets in the basket but at least there is still a chance for all applicants to play and get a realistic chance at a great tag.

That's just my opinion but with that said no big 3 tags or premium deer tag for me just more points and a deer tag with over 9,000 other hunters in the zone. LOL Oh well, at least Colorado and Arizona was good to me so I will concentrate on those hunts.