Ca. hunt draw is up...

boom

WKR
i was ignorant.

i just read it. so they pick from the highest points first..and if those dont use all the tags they move on? wow..i will be 80 years old to shoot a Grizzly Island elk.

Got A1 as second choice. Did PP for first. Trail cameras up since May and a couple already on the hit list. A little more growth and will start naming them

i was ignorant.

i just read it. so they pick from the highest points first..and if those dont use all the tags they move on? wow..i will be 80 years old to shoot a Grizzly Island elk.
yah...there are hundreds of max point applicants for most tags already. it is a terrible system.

KClark

WKR
Goose eggs as usual. I thought for sure I had enough points for X8, maybe next year.

amassi

WKR
Drew an x tag, has anybody ever been to...jk.
Points for elk, Sheep and antelope sure I'll draw someday
Will also grab the coveted d3/5 tag for archery warmup and nice to have a deer tag during bear season

Used to hunt d6 religiously when it was still otc bummer that place blew up, some monster bucks in the alpine. Never used to see anyone in there except some mule packers crazy it sells out now as a premium hunt

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
Drew an x tag, has anybody ever been to...jk.
Points for elk, Sheep and antelope sure I'll draw someday
Will also grab the coveted d3/5 tag for archery warmup and nice to have a deer tag during bear season

Used to hunt d6 religiously when it was still otc bummer that place blew up, some monster bucks in the alpine. Never used to see anyone in there except some mule packers crazy it sells out now as a premium hunt

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Which drag?

Points only for deer this year as I had enough points for the x tag I want but should be in Wyoming about the same time. No luck in anything else but maybe one day a sheep tag will come my way!!

OP
M

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Talked to a buddy today, he drew a goat tag in the random draw, 4 years ago he drew the same tag, with max points,....what's the odd's?... Congrats Brooks on your sons draw, you guy's are going to have a busy season...
Mike

Talked to a buddy today, he drew a goat tag in the random draw, 4 years ago he drew the same tag, with max points,....what's the odd's?... Congrats Brooks on your sons draw, you guy's are going to have a busy season...
Mike

I absolutely love to hear stories like this but it makes me sick at the same time. Not one part of me is up set with your buddy and I hope he kills a smoker goat but the California system is a mess. I am shocked that anyone under max points puts in even though it takes them decades to draw. Plus the decline of new hunters because they will never draw. Yes I know someone has to draw the minimal random draws but..... I am glad in 16 days preference points are over for me in my new home state. And yes I'd rather draw a tag random every 10-20 years than never......

I absolutely love to hear stories like this but it makes me sick at the same time. Not one part of me is up set with your buddy and I hope he kills a smoker goat but the California system is a mess. I am shocked that anyone under max points puts in even though it takes them decades to draw. Plus the decline of new hunters because they will never draw. Yes I know someone has to draw the minimal random draws but..... I am glad in 16 days preference points are over for me in my new home state. And yes I'd rather draw a tag random every 10-20 years than never......

Right on! Have a safe move and enjoy Idaho!

Talked to a buddy today, he drew a goat tag in the random draw....what's the odd's?...

statistically.... 1 in 1,018 (last years numbers) to get one of the 24 randoms

to the people saying they just put in for a point, I want to say thank you. your donation to California is tax deductible.

but seriously... there is ZERO chance of you drawing a tag if you put in for a point only. If youre ready to hunt, you absolutely should put in the application. youll get your point either way.
I moved away from California after living there for 36 years. I knew I was tossing away all my points for elk and antelope but that's ok. far better opportunity elsewhere. at least they began admitting there is only 1 non resident elk tag and 1 non resident goat tag each year. im sure they still collect a ton of application fees from out of staters that think they have a chance.

drew my A12 tag tho. my uncle drew his X6A and wants me to ask my father in law if he can shoot one on his ranch... asking that favor might actually turn out to be a lot easier than getting a 73 year old Vietnam vet with leukemia up into the hills...

and yes... the above sentence is honest and a reflection of his only good qualities... other than being a vet... my uncles a pretty big ass hat...

one thing that apparently is a common misconception, and something my father in law still has trouble believing, is how you use and obtain a preference point in Ca.
It can seem a little bit confusing, and the way they do the draw isn't what I would think or consider right... but its fair.

you will get a point, if your first choice is a premium zone and you fail to draw it. its that simple.

the computer assigns you a number, and you are placed in order. when they get to your name, they look at your FIRST CHOICE ONLY!!! if there are tags available, they take your points and issue a tag. if there are no tags remaining, they issue you a preference point and put your name at the bottom of the pile.

when they get to your name again, they look at your SECOND CHOICE. if there are tags available, they will issue you a tag as second choice, and you get to keep the point from failing in your first choice.

2nd choice should never be a true premium zone. but statistically you can get a C tag, or a C Archery... (and a few other decent zones) 10-25% chance in this draw.
*** I knew a guy that put X6A, X6B, C as his choice. if he would have put X6a, C (worthless 3rd option) he would have had a 25% chance of getting C tag.

again, using my father in law as an example, he told his daughter, my wife, to only put X6A, and nothing for 2nd or third, so she didn't lose points.
she talked to me first, thankfully, and got a C tag and now has 5 points.

good luck everyone!
and lobby your local city commissioners to garner support for doe harvests, Lion hunting and use of dogs. with enough positive pro hunting intelligence CA might not be a lost cause in the future.

one thing that apparently is a common misconception, and something my father in law still has trouble believing, is how you use and obtain a preference point in Ca.
It can seem a little bit confusing, and the way they do the draw isn't what I would think or consider right... but its fair.

you will get a point, if your first choice is a premium zone and you fail to draw it. its that simple.

the computer assigns you a number, and you are placed in order. when they get to your name, they look at your FIRST CHOICE ONLY!!! if there are tags available, they take your points and issue a tag. if there are no tags remaining, they issue you a preference point and put your name at the bottom of the pile.

when they get to your name again, they look at your SECOND CHOICE. if there are tags available, they will issue you a tag as second choice, and you get to keep the point from failing in your first choice.

2nd choice should never be a true premium zone. but statistically you can get a C tag, or a C Archery... (and a few other decent zones) 10-25% chance in this draw.
*** I knew a guy that put X6A, X6B, C as his choice. if he would have put X6a, C (worthless 3rd option) he would have had a 25% chance of getting C tag.

again, using my father in law as an example, he told his daughter, my wife, to only put X6A, and nothing for 2nd or third, so she didn't lose points.
she talked to me first, thankfully, and got a C tag and now has 5 points.

good luck everyone!
and lobby your local city commissioners to garner support for doe harvests, Lion hunting and use of dogs. with enough positive pro hunting intelligence CA might not be a lost cause in the future.

You're last two posts are gonna ruin it for everyone!!! My 1 in a 1000 chance just went almost to zero.

But, seriously, you make some good points about applying in this circus of a state. For me, G3=PD. It all works out the same in the end but at least I get to dream a little.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
D3-5 and B for me, C zone for the wife. Will be guiding one of the chosen few on a California Bull Elk hunt and pray we draw some landowner elk tags!

Luckily got a C as my second choice! Guess I'll get an x4 some other time. Got points for my big 3. Call me an optimist, but I feel like I always have a shot whenever I apply. It took my cousin 13 years to draw an cow elk tag last year, I'll be headed to Colorado for mine ha. Best of luck this fall guys!