colorado camo?

davsco

WKR
given that you have to wear a bunch of orange (or pink), just wondering how big a deal camo is in colo.

on a related note, if i don't need all the cool camo, what's a good alternative to sitka gear at way less than $200/pair of pants?

edit: colo first rifle

Last edited:
I quit wearing a ton of camo a few years back. I run a pair of dickie pants and a brown t shirt. During the rifle season I have a camo KOM pullover I’ll wear, but that’s about it.

If you don't care about weight I like Cabelas stuff.

I wore a mixture of first lite and Cabelas with my pink last year and had success. Just took a t shirt and cut it like a gym bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Are you hunting? If so, what, and when? If you are hunting turkeys or ducks it's very important!

Btaylor

WKR
No color or camo will hide stink or movement so start there. That said I use camo no matter where I am hunting because it gives me confidence for one and high end gear has functional advantages in most cases. I will only use the very best gear I can find...on sale.

rayporter

WKR
important to maintain camo-lafffffff
somewhere there are a few more similar to this pic
vjL2EYL.jpg

Titan_Bow

WKR
Sitka / First Lite / Kryptek etc. use the camo patterns as a marketing tool, but there is alot of value in the materials and construction of their garments. If you understand what the different fabrics are really doing, what their benefits are, etc. you can outfit your hunting gear based on what you actually need your clothing to accomplish, instead of based on a camo pattern. For example, you can search sierra trading post, REI, backcountry.com, etc. for "merino wool" and find lots of non-camo items that work great in the backcountry, at a fraction of the cost of First Lite.

if i don't need all the cool camo, what's a good alternative to sitka gear at way less than $200/pair of pants?

A layering system is a layering system. Your system doesn't need to be all of the same brand. Wear what is comfortable for you and what is going to keep you alive. For cheaper options that Sitka, you can try Kuiu. Still pretty pricey though. If you want below Kuiu's prices, I'd look at skipping camo completely and wearing technical hiking clothes. Prana's, columbia, brands like that.

Here is a picture of me a couple weeks ago while shed hunting. Lightweight breathable pants, t-shirt, and 1/4 zip. I would go comfort over camo.

qMUSuiT.jpg

ericF

WKR
As others have said, it is more about layering and getting a system that works for the weather you will have. Sierra trading post is good for cheap items, and Skre is a good company for cheaper, but still quality clothing. If it had to randomly assign prices for the same imaginary pair of pants, Sitka would be $200, Kuiu would be $170, and Skre would be $130. Kuiu and Skre both will have some random sales and Skre just had 20% off everything.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My camo is some of the most comfortable clothes I wear, especially pants. I wish they weren't camo so I could wear them all the time. Wear whatever is comfortable for you, given the conditions you'll be hunting in.

jspradley

WKR
My camo is some of the most comfortable clothes I wear, especially pants. I wish they weren't camo so I could wear them all the time. Wear whatever is comfortable for you, given the conditions you'll be hunting in.

This!

Decent (if not good) gear goes a huge way towards being comfortable in the uncomfortable so get the best you can afford. Don't hesitate to mix and match, brand loyalty doesn't get you anything unless you are sponsored so don't worry about pattern and brands fashion shows

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t see any value in camo pants if you are just buying them for the occasional Colorado rifle elk hunt. If you want some nice features and don’t mind camo the Skre hardscrabble would be about $105 shipped with their current sale. Otherwise the prana or wrangler stretch nylons have nice earth tones and found for even less money.

jspradley

WKR
There's an asshole who can't hunt worth a crap in the Gear Deals forum giving away coupons for 25% off for Prana, Columbia, and Mountain Hardwear... ;)

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
given that you have to wear a bunch of orange (or pink), just wondering how big a deal camo is in colo.

on a related note, if i don't need all the cool camo, what's a good alternative to sitka gear at way less than $200/pair of pants?

edit: colo first rifle

In my personal opinion camo does make a difference for archery season hands down. For rifle, camo is not a huge deal here in Colorado it's good to have instead of blue jeans. The shots you are usually taking are 200+ yards so if you're quiet enough it wouldn't matter on the camo unless you're in the wide open. It does matter when you're hunting sheep, moose, bear, and goat yes. Here's what I think... You get what you pay for with hunting gear in my opinion. You can go to Walmart and buy a pair of pants every year or spend the the money all at once and have it last 5+ years. I have had my Sitka Open Country gear for a little over 6 now and there is still more life in the gear. I also hunt more than most people normally do. I also use the Subalpine pattern and that is my new favorite just because I am more of an archery hunter than rifle. So in my opinion camo is important depending on what season and what you are hunting. Also there is a lot of science and technology that goes into that making of the Sitka products. If you can I would google and learn more about it.