Pack as your "Carry On"?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
For you guys that have flown for a hunt, have you ever had any issues with your pack as your carry on?

I have a 6900 Sky Tallus....I'm thinking of just having optics and a few select garments, toiletries, electronics, drink mixes, etc. in order to keep size down, and then checking the rest of my gear and clothes.

Do you think I will have any issues?

Kotaman

WKR
No...especially with that pack. I’ve flown with my SG’s and Kifarus many times as a carry on without issue.

TXCO

WKR
There are a couple other threads on this subject you should be able to find more comments, but the short answer is yes. Ive used my sky 7400 in bivy mode as a carry on several times.

Wapiti1

WKR
No issues flying as long as it fits in the overhead. I haven't had issues with a Seek Revolution 6300, an MR Marshall, and an MR Crewcab. The Marshall and Seek won't fit under a seat, though, unless you put them sideways and into your neighbors foot space.

Be careful with straps hanging all over and get them rolled up so they don't dangle. They will at some point get caught in the x-ray scanner. Big hassle and it really annoys those in line behind you. Put your pack in a bin to go through the scanner.

Jeremy

Randle

WKR
Well as of June 4 th the size has changed . And it is 22 in overall length . They have a box at the gate. So I would check. I just got back from a trip and they were checking them at the gate . I was going to take my K2 but Google the dimension first and found this change was going into affect.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well as of June 4 th the size has changed . And it is 22 in overall length . They have a box at the gate. So I would check. I just got back from a trip and they were checking them at the gate . I was going to take my K2 but Google the dimension first and found this change was going into affect.

I haven't flown in probably 10 years, but I remember those measure boxes all over the place even back then and your carry-on had to fit inside them. I always have wondered how guys were taking their 26"+ packs as carry-on when the box was only about 20" long max by about 14" wide and deep. I figured they must have gotten rid of them.

Probably flown 25 different airlines worldwide with a full size backpack..

only once did I have an issue with the 7kg rule on a British airways flight. They bitched about chew tho too.

You can gate check if it's an issue or run a big stuff sack kinda bag and wear ur layers stuff, fill the "personal item" and pack down ur bag.

Whatever you do don't ask questions, act like you know what ur doing and have a thought out response if issues arrive.

We once had me bail into the bathroom, put on all my clothes from the pack, stuff my coat pockets full of crap, the. pulled the frame off the pack and ran it. The cute air Asia flight attendant giggled and we were good to go.

Randle

WKR
Probably flown 25 different airlines worldwide with a full size backpack..

only once did I have an issue with the 7kg rule on a British airways flight. They bitched about chew tho too.

You can gate check if it's an issue or run a big stuff sack kinda bag and wear ur layers stuff, fill the "personal item" and pack down ur bag.

Whatever you do don't ask questions, act like you know what ur doing and have a thought out response if issues arrive.

We once had me bail into the bathroom, put on all my clothes from the pack, stuff my coat pockets full of crap, the. pulled the frame off the pack and ran it. The cute air Asia flight attendant giggled and we were good to go.
Personally I would just rather know I am right and don't have to go thru all that just to get on the plane.

Eh??

I had already flown 15+ planes with the setup in the previous month and a half. On a commuter jet from North Sumatra to Malaysia I wasn't gonna bother gate checking and letting 250 foreign passports ahead of me in the customs line with a 3 and 1 year old..

Airline are starting to allow check baggage for free and charge carry on which sucks if you travel a lot.

Randle

WKR
ndbow , not sure what the Ehh?? is for, but seems like a hassle to wear all my layers, I have only flown twice in the last 4 weeks and both times they had people place the oversized looking bags in the box. I only take a carry on , less hassle of loosing my stuff. 1 thing to carry. Sounds like ndbow has more experience.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I flew last week on southwest and united with an Exo 3500, which is a couple inches over length requirement. no issues. i did try to cinch it down and strapped the hip belt backwards to keep the profile and floppiness down. No comments or second looks.

Randle

WKR
Thanks Lewis. Thats good to know. I guess if it is a little long but doesn't look bulky and big then it passes???

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Lewis. Thats good to know. I guess if it is a little long but doesn't look bulky and big then it passes???

Yeah that was how I went about it. I also think on the standard 737, the overhead on the right (when walking to the back) is a little deeper (although this could be completely false haha). No trouble shutting the bin on that side, but coming back, my bag was a little more full, including the lid, and a flight attendant turned it side ways. Granted the plane wasn't full so overhead wasnt at a premium. If the same thing happened when they were all crammed, or the attendant wasn't as nice, it may have got pulled.

I also made an effort to get on as early as I could in order to have plenty of bin space when I got on.

jspradley

WKR
Personally I would just rather know I am right and don't have to go thru all that just to get on the plane.

Even TSA doesn't know what's right so might as well just wing it if you think you can get away with it! lol

I've carried my 26" frame and relatively full Mountain Warrior on a plane, definitely didn't fit in the little bins outside but the overhead bin closed down on it just fine..

+1 on the tip about managing your dangling straps, don't be that guy!

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
We've carried on loaded down 14'ers, Tarryalls, and Woodsman packs several times and no issues with any of them, bet they'd have issue with my body bag called the Muskeg though:D

Vandal 44

WKR
I think it depends on the Airline carrier. I Fly Alaska Airlines at least twice a month and they are enforcing the "New Bag Restriction" if the bag looks like its to big they are measuring it and making you check the bag.

Personally I am glad Alaska implemented this policy

MacAttack

FNG
On Alaska's site their new guidance is 22" x 14" x 9" or no more than 45 linear inches. So a compressed Exo 5500 is 41 linear inches so it should be ok on Alaska with minimal amount of gear. I just checked TSA's website and couldn't find anything on size requirements so they might leave that up to the airline.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw