Protecting paper maps on a trip

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
How are you carrying your paper maps on a trip? I'd like light, cheap and waterproof.

I've generally used a gallon ziploc shoved in a pack pocket. Sometimes they get holes, and then I have to drop my pack to access it. My bino harness doesn't seem quite large enough for an 8.5 x 11 sheet.

I tried some silicone spray on paper maps one year. It seemed to work ok, but stunk like crazy. They are also hard to write on. I like to take notes on my maps.

Rs3003

WKR
I used a product called Map Seal. I think REI sells it. It works pretty good.

i have a waterproof bag specifically designed for maps. it is nice because it has clips and some Velcro strips on it so it can be hung on your pack or attached to it. I believe it was made by sealine.

I print all my field maps on Rite-in-the-Rain 8.5x11. I use a Rite-in-the-Rain pressurized pen to write on them and also tend to take lots of notes.

Rite in the Rain - White Bulk Packs

Rite in the Rain - All-Weather Pens and Refills

The pens are horrifically expensive ($17usd/each), so I buy them in orange to lose as few as possible. They work far better than a pencil in the field (and regular pens usually don't work at all)

Maps usually get folded in quarters and stuck in a cargo or back pocket. They are quite durable and really are waterproof.

I make and use a lot of maps for work as well as play, and this is what works best for me.

This was Saturday in the non-stop rain and wind. No issues with the map.

zCQu6Q6.jpg

Last edited:
Not much more to buy the map on a plasticized paper or just plain plastic sheet.

WE laminated our maps in the marines, but the ziplock bag is a good idea if you have true paper maps.

Buckman

WKR
Back in the day before all the fancy stuff we have now, i went to the store and bought clear kitchen shelf contact paper. i did my map with it and its still on them. Don't know if they even sell the stuff anymore.

FlyGuy

WKR
I like Yellowknife's solution and I'm going to look into that some myself. Personally, I use lamination. I make my own custom maps on CalTopo. Usually one large poster sized one for the entire unit that email to a local copy/mailbox store to have them print out and laminate. I find these large maps to be very helpful during scouting, at home, when hunting from the truck or trying to relocate, etc; but I don't pack it in. For that I also make several maps of much smaller areas on regular 8.5x11 copy paper and laminate these at home with a cheapo laminating machine and the plastic sheets. These are typically maps of the specific areas I plan to hunt in, as well as all my back up spots. Usually I'll make them with two views, one with a shaded topo and all trails/roads and key features; and the flip side showing the exact same area but with sat imagery. I keep the one map I need for the area im in folded up in a side cargo pocket. I also have a red and a black fine point Sharpie in my bino harness that I use to make notes on them or mark locations. It's a system that has worked well for me so far.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
22 years in the Army as a scout, we used maps everyday. Sometimes we laminated them, but then you start folding them and they crack. There was a place in Fort Bragg NC, that would cut the map up into smaller rectangles, tape back together leaving a small gap and laminate. The gaps allowed the map to be folded repeatedly without cracking.

Also used various map cases, but they can be bulky. Now all I use is gallon freezer bags.

The write-in-the-rain paper sound interesting, I am going to look into that for small local maps.

Ranger619

WKR
You could check out loksak.com I use these for phones or whatever I want to keep dry. Durable and flexible.