Anyone keep a Journal ?

I never really gave it much thought but after meeting and spending a little time with Warren Womack on a Florida deer hunt a few years ago it's been on my mind. A few of you might know who Warren is, for those of you who don't he's documented his hunting for decades, pictures, stories etc of his style of backpack bow/rifle hunting public and private land throughout the South and Warren has killed A LOT of deer, hogs etc. He's a humble man and willing to talk or help out anybody. A few of the Podcasters out there have interviewed him. I enjoy his stories about the moon phase and wind, what type of food he was finding the deer on, shot distance, recovery distance etc. He has compiled a heck of a lot of information. Warren is in his 70's now and it must be nice to be able to re-live some of those hunts while he is still making new ones. I also think it would be something interesting for my boys to have after I'm gone. So, I think I am gonna start this year, anyone else keep a journal ?

Ranger619

WKR
I do. I take along a rite in the rain notebook and keep track of what I saw or where camp is, water or other info. I put it in a journal when I get home. It is kind of fun to read later. You realize how much you forget after a year or 2. I don't get super detailed. I actually have been doing this for all of my fishing trips since 1986.

Vids

WKR
I keep a basic journal in Excel. Mainly for memories of each trip - When/where, general weather pattern, who I hunted with, animals killed and interesting things I saw. It's fun to go back and read every now and then, because it's easy to forget what happened after a few years.

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, I keep one in a box somewhere in storage, if I could find it, I'd probably give it away or throw it away as I'm not organized enough to write one!

Btaylor

WKR
To say Warren has killed a lot of deer is like saying small pox killed a few people. LOL He has a system of which his journals are a huge part that is undeniable. A lot of fun to share a camp with too.

I used to keep a fishing log. Mostly weather info, location, tackle data and who I was with. It was very helpful for future trips.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Similar to Justin, in years past I have always thought it was a good idea and even on a couple occasions during my waterfowling days would write some basic information but I never stuck with it. However, I have recently been overcome with the urge to write details of some of my hunts from the past four years and realize journal entries would make that process much easier than recalling memories. With that realization I purchased a cheap journal just a few weeks ago and logged the first entry with my scouting trip. Hopefully I can stick with it this time.

neverquit

WKR
I keep a basic log. Where I went what I saw and what was killed. Mainly to track annual days afield

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I plot every animal I see on Google Earth. Over the course of 5-6 years I've gotten a heck of a lot of patterning. Each trip we take, I plot daily routes used as well. I'd be about as likely to share my Google Earth account as I would be to share my wife haha.

Any of the notable trips I write out a story and do hunt reports here, those are all written and saved in Pages before I post them.

i am upset with myself that I have not kept a better journal. I tend to run into things. It tends to get a little western when i go out. If I had written all of my stories it would be an interesting read. I just purchased a new write in the rain book specifically for keeping a journal. I want to try harder.

OP
S
To say Warren has killed a lot of deer is like saying small pox killed a few people. LOL He has a system of which his journals are a huge part that is undeniable. A lot of fun to share a camp with too.

Lol, I remember Warren telling me when he got his new truck that the cap from his old truck wouldn't fit so he got a new one. Warren kept track of how many nights he slept in the back of that truck under the cap I think he said it was in the neighborhood of 2,500 ? I know the belly of that Acadian Woods recurve has a lot of deer and hog "tick marks" on it too. Everytime I pull a peanut butter granola bar out of my pack while I am up a tree I think about him.

I’ve been keeping a journal for a couple years now on everything from what time I’m seeing animal movement to what elevation they are at, bucks, does, bears. Hopefully in the next few years I’ll start seeing the patterns. I also like having something to do during the middle of the day or at night back in camp and writing in the journal works out great.

Btaylor

WKR
Lol, I remember Warren telling me when he got his new truck that the cap from his old truck wouldn't fit so he got a new one. Warren kept track of how many nights he slept in the back of that truck under the cap I think he said it was in the neighborhood of 2,500 ? I know the belly of that Acadian Woods recurve has a lot of deer and hog "tick marks" on it too. Everytime I pull a peanut butter granola bar out of my pack while I am up a tree I think about him.

A group of us did a hunt in north mizzou several years ago now and we planned to stay at this little local motel. It was a bare bones sorta place but clean and nice little kitchenette setup, perfect for hunters. Warren stayed in his truck. And yeah that bow has got more ink than most rappers and it is just one of a few bows.

His journal system shines for whitetail guys where feeding patterns and primary trees within a mast tree species are important. Knowing where those trees are, when they drop, what the progression of feeds are, what the best winds are and where the best tree to hang is are all important. Having that information documented in a retrievable fashion can really tip the scales for keeping a guy efficient through a hunting season.